Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

6428 results found

1. Corrupt/pixelated cursor Issue in InDesign on MacOS High Sierra

In InDesign is a Problem with the Cursor on iOS Hight Sierra Beta Version 10.13 (17A315i). I Attached a short Video file. It is better as the describe when you what I means. Thank you.

321 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

240 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Restore video from URL media option

For some unexplained reason the Video from URL option has been removed from InDesign 2020. This needs to be restored ASAP as there are people using this feature.

Moveover, it needs a minor improvement to allow HTTPS links (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/37474690-place-a-video-from-a-url-with-https).

It was a big mistake to not query the community before removing this and it should be a simple thing to restore.

281 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. InDesign 16.0 saves Converted files in last used folder, not containing folder

On Catalina OSX (10.15.7), InDesign 2021 (16.0) saves a Converted file to the last used Finder folder, rather than the folder the document is contained in.

Happens with 'Save As...', as well as saving InCopy assignments.

245 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

188 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. ID 2020 15.1 - All text variables (including page numbers) replaced by "ss" text

Just updated to ID 2020 15.1 and found a bug which makes the program unusable forcing me to immediately downgrade.
    When I open on of my ID documents created in previous version of ID, all of my defined text variables as well as page numbers are corrupted and replaced by the "ss" text. Changing the style has no effect. I can create page number based on the 'Basic Paragraph' style but when i choose any other previously created style, the number changes to 'ss'.
    Even the variable field preview shows 'ss' text instead of variable name.
    The same document opens…

222 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Spell Check does not work after installing InDesign 15.0.2

Dear Adobe Team,
    in our office we use In Design from several years without nothing problems.

Yesterday we had updated the version 15.0.2. After that, the spell-check (we use the Italian language) don’t work if we import text in a existing document.

But if we import text in a new document, the spell-check work without problems.

Please can you help us?

217 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Distorted Text and Graphics in high sierra

When opening a previously created file, I noticed small visual artifacts in the rendering of vector graphics in the file. As I zoomed in to inspect it, the artifacts began jumping all over the place, and as I zoomed in further, text on the page began presenting the same behavior.

Using InDesign 2017.1, Build 12.1.0.56 on a 2016 Macbook Pro (2.9 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB RAM), running macOS High Sierra 10.13.

215 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  Sumit Garg responded

This is a macOS10.13 issue, specific for some Intel GPU cards. Apple has fixed(partially) this issue inside macOS10.13.4 released build.

Following are the workaround for resolving this issue.
    1) Update your mac machine to latest macOS10.13.4. Here, Apple has fixed this issue to some extent. You will face very less number of rendering issues.
    2) Disable GPU preview and set display performance as typical.

Once you have updated to macOS10.13.4 .You might still face some rendering issues. Since, Apple has not fixed this issue completely.
    Please switch off GPU rendering for these cases and report a separate post for tracking.

7. Problem with changing the cursor to text

Hello. After running the latest version of InDesign CC 2019 v. 14.0, I have a problem with changing the cursor to text. It takes about 50 seconds. This happens each time you launch InDesign.

173 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

8. 167 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Major System Font Issue!

WHAT THE FONT!?!

Our publishing company recently ran the InDesign update (to 15.0.2) and have discovered some major font issues. I have narrowed it down to InDesign 15.0.2, macOS Catalina 10.15.3, and Suitcase Fusion 21.0.0. I actually don't think Suitcase has too much to do with this, because the problem occurred after the InDesign update, but it's our font management software so I'm including it. Basically it appears system fonts have become problematic with InDesign. Packaged files are suddenly showing up with lots of the dreaded pink. I have tested about everything I can. I even created some very simple…

164 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

231 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. AdobeFnt.lst automatically reappears after deleting

InDesign version: 15.0.2

Suddenly (after the latest March 2020 InDesign update?) the AdobeFont.lst file created with InDesign packages automatically shows up with folder structure after deleting a package. This is really aggravating for file management. It's as if my team can't fully delete InDesign packages. This is happening with multiple InDesign files on multiple machines.

148 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

As confirmed by multiple users, this issue is fixed in latest version of InDesign.

Thanks for your feedback.

-InDesign Team

11. 146 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're happy to announce that the fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign - version 17.2 that is available to download from Creative Cloud Desktop application.

Please update to this latest InDesign version to get the fix.

--

Adobe InDesign team

12. installed font missing InDesign 17.2 macOS 12.3 (Monterey) and macOS Catalina

Different clients have the same problem. Installed fonts on the system are not recognised by InDesign 17.2. Other Adobe applications recognise the font and it can be used in those applications. I can recreate the problem, my colleague not. After downgrading InDesign to version 17.01 everything works fine.

135 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We've just released InDesign 17.2.1 version which addresses this issue.

Please update to this latest version using Creative Cloud Desktop application.

In case the fix does not work immediately for you, please try the following:

1) Quit InDesign.

2) Delete the following:

on Mac:

/Users/[yourname]/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign

/Users/[yourname]/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign

on Win:

C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\InDesign

C:\Users\[yourname]\AppData\Local\Adobe\InDesign

Relaunch InDesign & see if it works properly now.

--

InDesign team

13. InDesign 2020 won't overwrite PDF

Since updating to Indesign 2020 I can't overwrite pdf files from the export menu it says 'file is still open' when it's not. Yet another thing broken on the yearly beta test.

135 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

97 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  amaarora responded

Fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign 2020 – that is, InDesign 15.1.2

In the Creative Cloud Desktop application, click on the Updates section on the left. You should be able to see the Update available for InDesign. Please update your InDesign application to this version to try out the fix.

Let us know in the comments section if you still face this problem.

Adobe InDesign Team

14. 132 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. [Performance] Footnote disappears

A footnote disappeared without reason then appeared back when I changed something in the page layout. This is a very important bug because InDesign didn't display any kind of warning about this problem: no red indicator of missing text or overfull text block. I noticed it by chance. Please look at the screen captures to understand it: the number 2 footnote is missing whereas the footnote number is present in the text. In the other screen capture, the problem has been solved.

131 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update of InDesign – version 16.1

Please update to this version to get the fix. To prevent problem on existing documents and see the footnotes again, you will have to force recompose the stories.
    To force recompose stories, you can use the shortcut Command-Option-/ (slash) on Mac or Ctrl-Alt-slash on Windows

-InDesign Team

16. I lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality (everything is grayed out). To save my work, I have to export as an IDML .

Lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality while working.
    To save my work, the only thing to do is to export as an IDML file. Force quitting to recover the file doesn't work. This has been happening to me since InDesign 5.5. I am currently using InDesign CC 2018. There are no particular steps, it happens at random. I can have several files open and it only happens to one file, or sometimes it's more than one file. It happens whether I'm working off of my Desktop or on our server.

127 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As part of the investigation into the cause of this issue, we personally reached out to many of you over email. We have so far heard from only some of you.

Of the responses we have received, the conclusion we’ve come to is:
    This issue was intermittent, happened once during the course of work but somehow got resolved and has not happened again. This issue can’t be reproduced now.

Over a period of time, this thread has not thrown any fresh clues on why this issue seems to occur randomly for some and then seems to resolve itself. So we’re closing this thread.

However, even though we’re closing this thread, if you again run into this issue any time on a consistent basis, please report it here on UserVoice (in a new thread) with supporting assets like:
    A) a test file,
    B) detailed steps to replicate the issue
    C) any…

17. Publish Online RTL (Right-to-Left) support

InDesign CC has a very good rtl support but when i publish online a document with binding from right to left it works in Print but not in publish online. Publish online always leads to left to rightsliding. Is this a bug or do i miss something? Thank you

122 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. In InDesign CC 2019 slow Reaction Time on clicking from one object to another.

Using InDesign CC 14.0 on Windows 10. I have an magazine layout with text and picture boxes, of course. When clicking from one box to another, there is a long delay, a temporary freeze. Eventually (20-30 seconds) it awakens and I can move on. But it's happening more frequently, even after a reboot.

Is this an issue of my computer talking to Adobe servers?

Nothing to screen shot, there is no message.

110 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Following up on the comments stating that the issue is yet not fixed, we did our investigation and found that, the issues being called out in the comment section, though maybe relevant but are different than the one for which this thread was originally created.

This particular thread caters to a very specific case which has been fixed in the last update of InDesign.

If you continue to face performance related issues with InDesign, we sincerely request you to create a separate thread so that we can categorize the performance related issues and address them completely.
    In addition to track the performance issues effectively, it will also enable us to reach out to you in a organised manner when we investigate into each category of performance issues.

We are extremely sorry for the troubles you are facing with InDesign and we are determined to resolve them as efficiently…

19. ScriptUI: Opening Dialog while dialog is open breaks InDesign

I'm running InDesign 14.0.2 on a macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

In a script i created I have a Dialog. It has a button that opens another dialog.

Before my last indesign-update (CC 14.0.2) the second dialog would open and when i closed it, i could use the previous dialog window again.

Now with the Update when I open the second dialog and close it again, i cant use (or close) the previous dialog and it blocks me from using InDesign. I can move the dialogwindow around but thats it so i have to restart indesign.

I tested this on two…

109 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

20. Undo Not Working properly in InDesign 2020

InDesign CC 2020 Undo goes back to last saved version. It does not go back one step with Command-Z. Therefore, I lose all edits made since last save. It also crashes frequently

108 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 321 322
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base