Bug details

Spacebar handtool doesn't work

Since I use Indesign CC (Now CC 2018 13.0) sometimes the hand tool (spacebar) doesn't work. And today it again doesn't work. Why is this problem here for almost a year now. I am very disappointed in this bug.

14 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Marcel shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

31 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

IT IS 2019 AND WE STILL HAVE THIS PROBLEM.

C'mon guys. Same thing happens to AI. Infuriating to shut down all my work just to restart.

• kamgrus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SOLUTION: this is strange but for me what seems to work is just to fast "block/sleep screen" - so something like getting to "login screen". I'm glad because I have a hope that I don't have to restart whole OS.

@Ravi Kiran (Administrator, Adobe InDesign) - Yes it doesn't work in Photoshop / Indesign / illustrator at the same time.

• kamgrus commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Even I can see some solutions it seems that eveytime there is something else that works to solve a problem. I think we have wait enough for this problem to be permanently solved. Adobe please. Working without spacebar hand tool is so annoying.

• Philip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SOLUTION: The issue is between web browsers (in my case chrome) and the adobe suite, shutting down the web browser seems to solve the issue, you can then open the browser again if you want and all should be back to normal. This only happens sometimes so restarting the browser app isn't too much of an effort.

Hope this helped!
    (this works for me and might not work for everyone)

• Johannes P commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Some here. Spacebar problem. Only a computer restart helps. Program restart doesn’t solve the problem. Happened several times.

• David H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same space bar issue - and also the duplication issue - in ID. Very annoying indeed - a key shortcut that's used all the time. Really poor Adobe - come on.

• Katherine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This trick works. That's a weird weird bug
    _____
    Doug commented · January 04, 2019 14:35 · Flag as inappropriate
    If I shut down safari "spacebar shortcut" works, and continues to work after restarting safari. Until it happens again later. Hope this Helps

• Will Steuber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Spacebar hand tool and command+shift for zoom still do not work for me either. I shut down all applications, restart and it still doesn't work on my Adobe applications. I use these shortcuts constantly and this is really dragging me down. I'm running Mac OS 10.12.6 and CC 2019. Any suggestions? Very frustrating!

• Doug commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If I shut down safari "spacebar shortcut" works, and continues to work after restarting safari. Until it happens again later. Hope this Helps

• G commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It does work for me either... spacebar/handtool, space bar zoom. Is this fixed???
    If not, why not????

• Lise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just update my Indesign CC to 2019 and I have the bug !!! Space bar is off :(

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Shame. People pay heavy money to run these apps and do their work and something as basic as the hand/move tool is always doing this. You have to do magic to get things working again. restart, throw out prefs, quit other apps you need to be using etc...

• Simon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem here. If I recall correctly this is an old bug since years back. And it appears it has come back, unbelievable. Quitting Safari and reopening it solved it for me. Still, this has to be fixed.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I started having the same problem today, what I found was causing it was having to many programs open eating up memory. I closed a few and it started working again. I tend to have all the suite open and word, web browsers, iTunes and so on. Try closing a few... worked for me.

• Karl Gustafson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I noticed this today in version 13.1 (x64). It is a real pain. Normally the spacebar to hand tool shortcut works fine for all of my tools, except when utilizing the zoom tool which is likely where you would need it most.
    If you zoom in and want to move around using the hand tool, it would just zoom in further. However, I noticed that if I am on the zoom tool, press the spacebar, move the mouse before clicking, then the hand tool works. It is a royal pain in the butt, but hopefully this helps. And more, hopefully Adobe fixes it.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base