Bug details

I lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality (everything is grayed out). To save my work, I have to export as an IDML .

Lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality while working.
To save my work, the only thing to do is to export as an IDML file. Force quitting to recover the file doesn't work. This has been happening to me since InDesign 5.5. I am currently using InDesign CC 2018. There are no particular steps, it happens at random. I can have several files open and it only happens to one file, or sometimes it's more than one file. It happens whether I'm working off of my Desktop or on our server.

92 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mandy Fortuna shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

216 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Megan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

same problem, first time this has happened...ugh! what's the fix?!

• Oscar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has happened repeatedly and unexpectedly for months now costing days of lost time. This needs to be resolved as a matter of urgency.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolute BS! I am so frustrated! After realizing the save functions and undo were greyed out. I gave up and closed it. I reopened ID and now it full of glitches and won't let me complete...redo...my project! WHY are we paying for this type of service?????

I haven't received an email and am still experiencing this frustrating problem with Indesign CC 2018.

Same issue. We run a content company and while editing some text, all of a sudden the undo button greys out and all our edits are lost. Doesnt happen with all documents. Seems to happen most with our writers that use Word for Mac (we edit with Word for PC)

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

September 14th, 2018: a pair of designers at my company are having this same issue. Both using Macs running MacOS High Seirra (fully updated) and using the more current version of InDesign (13.1.something).

Saving to both the local drive and our server gives a "cannot save [filename].indd" dialog without an error code. Turning off Type Contextual Controls helped for a short time, but the issue is back.

What are our next steps?

• Scott Heit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This issue just started happening to me today. I have been working in CC 2018 for a few months with no issue but this afternoon while working on a file the Save, Save As and Undo features stopped working. I was trying the keyboard shortcuts, but then noticed that even going to File and Edit those options are grayed out. Please help!

• Barbara commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same problem. Can't save file. Can export to PDF and IDML. Can open IDML but can't undo is any formats. Using Indesign CS6 on Macbook Pro with OSx Yosemite 10.10.5
    Please help!

Ravi Kiran: RE: Photoshop CC 2018 File>Save . Save is grayed out sometimes, other times not. The Save As is not grayed out, however if backup my work this way, I have to rename the file to do so. Please help. Jizell Albright

Feedback and Knowledge Base