Bug details

I lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality (everything is grayed out). To save my work, I have to export as an IDML .

Lost all Save, Save As, Undo functionality while working.
To save my work, the only thing to do is to export as an IDML file. Force quitting to recover the file doesn't work. This has been happening to me since InDesign 5.5. I am currently using InDesign CC 2018. There are no particular steps, it happens at random. I can have several files open and it only happens to one file, or sometimes it's more than one file. It happens whether I'm working off of my Desktop or on our server.

92 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Mandy Fortuna shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

217 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: facebook google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Carmen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everybody,
    Had the same issue today, no idea why, but if you export an IDML file you can save your work, open it back again and save it as indd.
    I think it might be some kind of bug.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the same issue. If there is a fix or setting I can change, please advise.

I am havign the exact same issue with in design - no save, undo, etc. all greyed out. please contact me immediately. thanks

I'm having the exact same issue, all save, save as, and undo features greyed out.

• Tricia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am having the same issue, my undo and redo are not working. My InDesign crashed yesterday and since then I am having issues. Please help.

• Kaye Adams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same issue! Can't even copy and paste into a new indd document. Until further notice and this is fixed, I'm going to go back to the previous version which happened to still be on my machine. Using Windows 10 Home.

• Brett commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Same Issue.. can't undo and can't save. OS 10.14 - InDesign 14.0.

I am unable to use the Undo function as it is greyed out.
    OS 10.14
    Indesign 14.0

• Joseph Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also having the same issue. But in my case, none of the options are grayed out (and Undo/Redo) still work. Choosing to save, however, does nothing. Tried "Save", "Save As...", and "Export" and nothing happens. The program doesn't lock up or anything. It just doesn't DO ANYTHING. Please help!

Same issue - No save, undo, redo, freezing, instances of slowing. Very buggy generally!

• Tom Lichtenheld commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

RE: "Save" not working. I just noticed that other functions are also not working, such as "Revert" and "Undo."
    Please recommend a fix for this. Thank you.

• Tom Lichtenheld commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same problem in indesignCC 14.0
    - Created a new indd doc.
    - Everything from "Save" to "Revert" is grayed out.
    Losing such a basic function is VERY annoying! Like others, I have been using and paying for Adobe products for years and expect better.

Feedback and Knowledge Base