Bug details

InDesign performance issue: Text disappears while editing

When editing a text box, the text disappears.
I have to switch the display mode (Overview > Normal or Normal > Overview) to make the text appear again.

This bug occurs frequently (10~20 times a day) but I did not identify what is the trigger.

Version 2017.1
Build 12.1.0.56 x64
Windows 10 x64

21 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Damien Lockner shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

23 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Aimee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I type into my table or adjust the box the bottom half of the table disappears. This has only started happening after I recently upgraded to the newest version of InDesign (14.0.2 x64). I can type in other parts of the table.

I have attached a video of the issue.

• V.T. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

amaarora - it is very hard to deliberately recreate this issue, it seems to occur very randomly. But believe me, it is so frustrating when it decides to start happening, especially when I have to enter corrections into a large amount of text, it really slows down the work process.

Nonetheless I have managed to catch a couple of instances on video:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ISfCNMRBUpxZeBazQ7Zraik_Whnhi4Rq

The first spasm happens at around 7 sec - on zoom change, and the other during text selection around 45 sec. I think it might actually have something to do with zooming in and out, since zooming in and out is also what makes the text reappear. That's how I tend to deal with this issue, but it's still terribly annoying. I've been wrestling with it for years, ever since I installed ID CS6 (which I still use). I'm on OSX El Capitain, but I also experienced this issue once when working on a Windows system in ID CC-something, so it doesn't seem to be system or version dependent.

I will email this to you as well.

• Penart Visuals commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have found one ******* fix is to Option+drag the text block and immediately Delete the dupe you created. Not elegant but it's fast.

• Paula commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Apparently this is still an issue that Adobe is not addressing. I just upgraded my MacOS to Sierra, and am running CS6 (NOT on cloud). I NEVER had this problem before, and now it's happening all the time. HELP, ADOBE! This totally SUCKS!

• Lila108 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Penart, i agree. As soon as i install back up with ID installed, everything is ok. Then after some time it happens again.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any solution to this problem yet? Have moved over to CC2018 on a Windows 10 platform and having the same problem of text disappearing while editing. Thanks

I suspect this bug may have been created intentionally to drive designers from the stand-alone version to the subscription version. maybe I'm being paranoid, but I have not found a good fix for it yet, and it's annoying as hell.

• Lisa H commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Penart Visuals - I can't seem to find that setting. Can you point me in the right direction?

this is a problem when your CS^ may have originally been linked to the Cloud. You need to go into preferences (when no docs are open) and delete a setting that tells CS6 to keep checking online. I found this solution a few weeks ago but was moving too fast to implement it: UGH!. Am searching for it now because this darn bug is plaguing me again!

I have this same issue with text and objects disappearing. Zooming in or out will bring them back. Very inconvenient!

• Jacob Cavallin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm working on a long copy ad for my class and I made a uniquely shaped text box in the shape of a wine bottle. The problem is when I fill it in with my copy, after a few seconds of not writing anything, the text will disappear. It's still there just invisible. I have to interact with it again to make it visible again and when I go to export the text doesn't appear. Do you know any quick fixes?

• Alexandra Bourdelon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I am having the same problem if I highlight text or click in text box all of a sudden text disappears although still there as can highlight and if change colour and change back to black in reappears but then happens 5 minutes later again. anyone know how to fix?

I agree. It can't seem to keep up with rendering while editing. I was wondering if the dynamic spell checker is the culprit?

I have the same problem occurring randomly and only solved by changing preview mode or restarting InDesign. The problem has been around for a few versions now and also on different computers

Version 2017.1
    Mac Os Sierra

• Ulysses de Oliveira commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This bug's been around for years in ID 2015 e ID 2017 for Windows. I'm using Windows 10, but it does happen with Win 7 too. Any solution yet?

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base