Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

8 results found

1. Spelling Language - everything switched to English (UK) but keeps Arabic

I have switched Preferences and all other options to English (UK) but the Check Spelling sticks to Arabic. I am not able to change this setting.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Dictionary options in Preferences dialog is just for defining the chosen Language properties i.e. when you go to Preferences > Dictionary and select any language (say ‘German: Old Rules’) in Language dropdown, it does not signify that ‘German: Old Rules’ is applied or set as a language. It only signifies the User Dictionary that is used for that language, giving you the option to add more custom dictionaries. Also any changes that you make in Hyphenation, Spelling, Double Quotes and Single Quotes section in Preferences > Dictionary would pertain to that Language only. To use those settings you have to manually apply the Language from Control panel/Character panel or from Paragraph/Character Style to the text.

You can verify this by following steps:

Go to Preferences > Dictionary and select ‘German: Old Rules’, etc. in Language dropdown.
    Change Spelling or Hyphenation setting and click OK.
    Now create a text frame. The…

2. space before/after paragraph is suddenly not working

when i try to add space before or after a paragraph, it shows up in the tools panel and in style sheets as being there, but it is not reflected in the actual text.

indesign cc 14.0.1

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In your example, the paragraph ‘Introduction: My Life…’ and ‘Update’ use the same Paragraph Style and the setting ‘Space Between Paragraphs Using Same Style’ is set to 0p0. That’s why the Space After setting of 1p4 is having no effect.
    To make it to work, change the ‘Space Between…’ back to its default setting of ‘Ignore’.
    Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

3. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. "Balance Ragged Lines" does nothing

When activating it on the Paragraph panel or in the Paragraph styles, there's no change in the paragraph at all.

I'm using MacOS 10.15.4 (19E287), and the latest version of InDesign 15.0.2.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Creating New Hyperlink - doesn’t copy the full selected URL

InDesign CC 13.1
    Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.6

I discovered this lately due to client complaining about URLs not working after export to PDF.

As per my video, I select the full URL in the text box, select New Hyperlink, and the field doesn’t populate with full URL.
    After some testing, the cut off point seems to be random and don’t happen specifically at hyphens or periods.

Whether the URL flows to multiple lines or is on the same line, I get the same result.

What is causing this? This is a big issue since I work on documents that…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. indesign 16.0 - new bug - text-wrap with image not correct

If i place an image into a frame and set text-wrap on that frame, it works correct and text breaks fine. If however i set the same text-wrap on the image (double click image or select content) instead of the frame, it will not wrap the text at the correct width. See attached screenshot.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The values that are shown in the Text Wrap panel & also the Frame Fitting Options dialog for Crop amounts relate to the inherent image size, not to the size it appears within InDesign – that is, they refer to the image as though it were placed at 100% scale. That means it’s based on the image resolution and the scaling at which it is placed.
    To see how this works, when you place an image, just click on the document – it will come at its 100% scale. Now select the Image contents, open the Text Wrap panel, and input 30mm in one of the fields, the value will be correct. Now scale down the image contents to 50% of its size – now measure the text wrap – it will be roughly 15mm in size.

Hope it helps.

InDesign team

7. Drag or transform creates unwanted duplicate of object

Moving any object (text, image, etc) with either the Move tool or Direct Selection tool creates a duplicate without having any other keys pressed (eg, option/alt).
    Also when repositioning an object with Properties > Transform it also creates a duplicate of the object.

Mac OS 10.14.4
    Indesign 14.0.2.324

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Go back to old method of "space after" paragraphs

I'm fine with the concept of allowing users to adjust the "spacing between paragraphs using same style." But the way this feature was added doesn't make sense: I think you should have left the old "space after" system the way it was, and allowed users to add the "spacing between paragraphs using same style" box as an extra option. The way you set it up (unless I'm misunderstanding something), anyone wanting to put spacing between paragraphs now has to enter data into two boxes, whether they want certain sections to have custom spacing or not. It makes the "spacing between…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base