Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

216 results found

1. InDesign CS 6 - Crashing

hi all,
    I ve permanently problems with crashes in Indesign CS 6 after updating the system on macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (Preferrences were updated)
    Has anyone an idea for that effect?
    Thanks in advance
    BR
    Sija

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. 11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

With the release of InDesign 2020(15.1.1), we have enhanced our recovery workflow which fixes multiple scenarios of document corruption.

If your file is still not getting repaired in InDesign CC2020, can you please share the document with Grp-idfile@adobe.com.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Indesign CC 13.0.1

Indesign CC 13.0.1 crashes after trying to open/hit hyperlinks panel. I'm running mac 0S High Sierra 10.13.3

I tried to re-download CC 12 and it unfortunately won't open on this newest OS version.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Pasteboard size difference between CC 2017 and 2018 causes page view jump

This occurs when I begin to work on a document that was made in a previous version of InDesign, which by default had smaller top and bottom pasteboard margins. The first actual action I perform on a spread — not just clicking; something like moving an object, editing text and deselecting the text box, or creating a new object — causes the pasteboard to increase in size vertically to what I presume is the new default, which also causes the page view itself to jump down. This only happens on the active spread. This also produces a graphical error if…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, start a new thread by adding all the relevant details. We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. Since the update to Mac OS High Sierra, Indesign and Illustrator just aren't as they used to be. Failing constantly.

Since the udate to Mac OS High Sierra, Indesign and Illustrator keep crashing and bugging. Lots of different errors. Many times telling you can't save. When updating a link in Illustrator, Indesign crashes when updating the link etc...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. InDesign 13.0.1 Crashes when saving older documents

InDesign crashes when saving older documents to the newest version. Any suggestions? Fix?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. mac crashes without warning

InDesign CC2018 13.0.1
    mac os High Sierra 10.13.2

My whole laptop restarts spontaneously when I perform a variety of random tasks in my 500 page book file in indesign, e.g. find & replace, opening the file…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. 20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Printing Error: Problem initializing the current printer - Check the system print setting?

Printing Error: Problem initializing the current printer - Check the system print setting?

I have not changed anything in my settings for this error to occur? The previous version works and I have cross-referenced all my settings and they match but it will not allow the print booklet export to the Adobe PDF drive which has always worked?

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Sometimes, InDesign might crash while accessing the printer setup or while printing documents with some specific printers. The crash is intermittent and specific to Windows only.
    Currently, this issue is observed with the following printers when their drivers are not updated:
    • Konica Minolta
    • Canon ColorPass
    LANIER

If the printer you are using is not listed here or if updating the drivers of the listed printers does not resolve the issue, please share the following information at sharewithID@adobe.com to help us investigate the issue further:
    • Printer driver and printer setup details.
    • The configuration of your printer – local, network, or wireless.
    • Is the printer configured as your default printer?
    _
    Adobe InDesign Team

10. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Cannot export to PDF in a Google Drive folder

When exporting a large file to PDF which is located in a Google Drive folder, the background (export) process will stop with an error "cannot export to PDF" and sometimes ID will crash.
    Tried several times and kept on stopping. Worked well when exported to the desktop (or any other non Google drive location).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. stalls intermittently, seconds to minutes of spinning beach ball or Application not responding

Stalls to a spinning beach ball intermittently during use. Add images in frames, move images or add text, what-ever, it suddenly just stalls and can take seconds to minutes before clearing. CS6, the CC2017 worked fine. Now CC2018 seems to have regressed in performance. I have to FORCE QUIT at times. MacOS Sierra 10.12.6

52 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

13. InDesign Corrupt files

InDesign users all have to deal with corrupt files sometime during their career using this program. Usually meaning lost time and, more importantly, money. It would be nice if there was a way to have InDesign or another program scan and fix corrupt files (Adobe FirstAid). Dumping this corrupt file into this program would scan the file, find the cause of the error, and isolate it--almost like a virus scanner. Even if this means a page is lost or margins are messed up. It would be nice to at least get some work saved. For example, I throw in a…

15 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

With the release of InDesign 2020(15.0.1), we have enhanced our recovery workflow which fixes multiple scenarios of document corruption.

If your file is still not getting repaired in InDesign CC2020, can you please share the document with Grp-idfile@adobe.com.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign team"

14. CRASH REPORT EVERY TIME I QUIT INDESIGN

Now I have Ctrl Changes installed (software that tracks changes) InDesign produces a Crash Report every single time I quit InDesign.

Attached is a copy of the Crash Report.

Please help fix this bug.

Thank you, Robert

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Cannot open file due to deleting hyperlinks in Indesign CC 2018

I was deleting the list of hyperlinks in my file and it crashed. So I kept saving the file after every hyperlink I had deleted so that I can find out which one was the root problem, but now I cannot even open the file as it just crashes immediately it opens. At this moment in time I have to do the whole job again.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

16. InDesign CS.5.5 crashes when after closing with MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.2

InDesign CS.5.5 crashes when after closing with MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.2

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Eyedropper in tables (ME indesign 2018) crashing

Using the latest copy of indesign ME and everytime i use the eyedropper tool on a table it immediately crashes

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. IndDesign CC2018

When copying an item, it keeps crashing. Just updated to the most recent version of 13.1, still crashes upon copying.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Indesign crashing on startup 2017 / 2018 (cloud) - Please Help!!

InDesign crashes the computer on startup. Not just the program, but restarts the PC. Sometimes it crashes with blue screen sometimes with plain and simple restart without any messages. Program does not even open.

I'm running Intel I7 8720X, Nvidia 1080 TI, 11 GB, 32 GB ram DDR4, 512 SSD + 3 TB Storage, Windows 10 Home - all updates.

I'm not sure what is going on. I tried to reinstall it, several times, after I uninstall removing preferences / settings, formatted the drives to kill any existing settings, still same issues. Photoshop, Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat work fine, not…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Indesig destroys its files

version
    InDesign CC for Teams 2018 (13.0.1) ExtendScript (Javascript) with AdobeStock

Steps

scenario: slow, instable internet connection or internet connection failure

Indesign loses cloud linking to library assets
    InDesign freezes
    InDesign crashes
    Active Indesign file can no longer be opened on this computer despite restarting Windows + InDesign

If the library is shared with other team members, they will not be able to open the file

Only team members who are not working with this library can open the file

If this team member now deletes the links to the assets, the other team members can reopen the file.

Tests…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base