Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

186 results found

1. InDesign palettes/panels do not expand or open when Application frame is Off

These small panels that you can attach to the large panels would not expand now after the update to 13.0.1
    I had problems with it already 2 updates back.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

2. Object style size property crashes InDesign when used with Libraries

I have recreated this bug on both Mac and PC InDesign 13.0

1. Create a text box
    2. Insert a table with any number of table cells
    3. Draw a rectangle anywhere
    4. Create a new Object Style and set Size and Position Options -> Size -> Adjust: to Height Only
    5. Apply the Object Style to the rectangle
    6. Cut and past the rectangle into one of the cells of the table
    7. Create a new Library file
    8. Drag the text box into the Library
    9. Try drag the Library item back out onto the page... It should crash.

This has become very problematic for us because…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. whitespace handling processing instruction not working in InDesign CC 2018

If the XML contains "whitespace handling" processing instruction, then the XML text not visible in InDesign CC 2018, it returns empty paragraphs, but the same XML working fine in CC 2017.

Sample XML attached for your reference. Please check and revert ASAP.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Tab controls are buggy. InDesign CC 2018

When using the Tabs control dialogue box all sorts of problems begin to manifest. First, as you are working with the tabs controls page elements go sideways. Text overlaps, sometimes entire paragraphs preceding the area you are working in.

On occasion, the tabs simply don't line up to where you assign them, even when you do so numerically. (See screenshot)

Settings for paragraph styles take precedence over tabs settings (even though tabs traditionally were the opposite, taking precedence.)

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    This issue has been fixed in latest InDesign versions. Please let us know in comments in case you still encounter the bug

-InDesign Team

5. Fehlercode 4/Errorcode 4 for not damaged documents

1. Adobe Indesin CC 13.01 After the last Update of Indesign time by time suddenly Indesign report a damaged file if you try to open any InDesign-Document.

Everytime after restarting the Mac everything is good and I'm fortunally able to open all o these documents.

Sometimes restarting Indesign helps, but not always.

The last 3 days it happens much to often und it nervs.

56 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. InDesign CC 2018/High Sierra - Cannot package files

Since updating to High Sierra I am not able to package files. The error message is simply "Unable to package the document. InDesign cannot access '(file name'.indd).

I am using InDesign CC 13.0.1 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.1

Don't know if this is of any use or not, but also if I try using my bulk packaging script, the error I get is "undefined is not an object (line 186)

65 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    The issue has been fixed with Apple’s MacOS High Sierra 10.13.4 Beta (17E139).

You can try out the fix by updating your machine to the beta update from Apple.
    Let us know if the issue is fixed for you after aforementioned High Sierra beta update.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

7. file name variable shows extension when placed in another document

This is specific use that may not apply to most users, but it did work in previous versions. In Indesign 13.0.1, create a file that uses the file name text variable and then place this document into another document. The text variable should show the name of the file minus the file extension, and it shows correctly in the first file. But when you place the ID file into another file, the extension shows. This worked in previous versions of ID and caught me by surprise when it didn't work in the latest version, forcing me to use the additional…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Issue has been fixed in InDesign’s latest update, Id 13.1
    Please update your InDesign for the resolution of the problem.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik

8. Mp4s don’t appear in exported swfs in indd 2018

The mp4s did work in indd 2017 and they do still in epub preview. I made identical indd files in 2017 and 2018 and placed several MP4s in both. they all worked in 2017 but in 2018 when activated by a click, button, or controller the poster disappears and the mp4 doesn’t play.
    This happened at school some students were working on the classroom 2017 macs and others their own 2018 windows and mac laptops the test I ran was on windows 10

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,
    Please update to InDesign’s latest update, Id 13.1 for the fix of the problem.

Thanks,
    Abhinav

9. InDesign still crashing when saving to external server folder/alias

I updated to the new version of InDesignCC 2018 this morning (the November '17 update, version 13.0.1). Supposedly this was supposed to fix the Save/Save as crash but I just took the same steps as before and the crash is still happening. The steps are as follows:
    1. Create new document
    2. Save As
    3. Select folder within our shared folder (this is linked to another computer, the other computer is the "momma" so to speak in that its part of the hard drive of the other Mac (version 10.12.6). I am also running Mac version 10.12.6. We have a…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Please update to the latest version of InDesign, Id 13.1 for the fix of the problem.

Thanks,
    Abhinav

10. Indents not holding after page break

1. InDesign CC 2018, though I logged this bug for 2017 as well. It may also have existed as far back as CS6. I had hoped it would be fixed in this release.
    2. Create a paragraph style that has a left indent and set text in that paragraph style. Set enough text to flow onto a second page.
    3. The text should retain the left indent after the page break.
    4. Sometimes, the first line of text after the page break does not retain the indent.
    17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

The fix for this issue is now available in InDesign’s latest version, id 14.0.3.
    Please update your InDesign to try out the fix.

Note:
    If you open a file which already has this issue, in the new version, you may continue to see the issue.
    To resolve such cases, you may SAVE AS the file or do a force text re-composition as the workaround

However, all the new files created in the new version will not have this issue anymore.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

11. Can not start InDesign CC 2018

I can not start the InDesign CC 2018 after the update from CC 2017. The program did not start. Nothing happened. Need I some special rights, now? What could be the reason?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’17 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 13.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/release-note/indesign-cc-13-0-1.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

12. Changing font in Character Panel frequently causes a crash in Indesign CC 2018

Since 2018 version, changing a font in the character panel frequently crashes the application, but not 100% of the time. Font worked fine in older version and sometimes works fine in 2018, but the same issue has happened a good few times in the last week or so.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

13. Color Mode listings are all out of order

The order of Color Mode options (Pantone, TOYO, etc.) are listed in a seemingly random order after updating to InDesign CC 2018 (13.0).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. InDesign CC 2018 workspace loading incorrectly

Since InDesign 2015 I have had the workspace customised for daily use however every time I restart InDesign my workspace shows it’s still selected however the panels collapse and some disappear entirely. I need to select reset workspace every single time without changing anything else and it goes back to my setup.

Is there a way to make this remember, as I thought saving workspaces is what this is supposed to be doing? And considering that I can reset my workspace and it does come back then something else is happening.

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

15. Indesign cuts off effects on PDF Export

InDesign cuts off effects on PDF Exports if they get too large. (Also to mention... menues look different fot Font or Object Effects... someone realigned one of them and forgot the others.)

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server: CC 2017.1 with Tablefix
    Steps to reproduce the issues: Create a new Document that's wide enough e.g. 5000mm (happend to us on a big Banner) – Write Text - Use Effect "Bevel" - Export to PDF and watch it fail.
    Expected result: A Text with the applied effect
    Actual result: The Effect gets cut off (we almost printed a job…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

16. [Break in CC 2018] Text frame properties lost when copying and pasting frames across document

I have a document that uses top justification in a text frame, and bottom justification in another text frame. When I copy these frames, with or without any other objects, into a new document (think business card imposition), the bottom justification changes to top justification, altering the layout of the document.

I have reset my preferences, and tried the fixes described here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2402361 and here https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2401857

With no success.

Attached is a 1UP file (Original with mixed justification) and a 24UP file (with resulting error)

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. splash

Title: Splash screen/Startup Screen won't go away.

Description: Whenever InDesign is launched by a script the splash screen stays open indefinitely.

Steps to reproduce:
    1) Quit InDesign
    2) Make a new AppleScript, with the content:

"tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2017"
    launch
    end tell"

3) Run the script

Result: InDesign launches, but the splash screen never close

Expected result: InDesign should launch, but the splash screen should hide, once the launch is completed.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Please update InDesign to the latest version, InDesign CC 2018 (13.0) for the fix of the issue.

-Aman

18. Prompted to save with no changes made to document

InDesign CC

I open a saved document in InDesign, but have no made any changes or touched the document at all. InDesign puts the asterisk next to my file anyways, prompting me to save upon exit. But no changes have been made. This is very annoying because I don't know if a change has been made or the program is messing up. I then have to update all of my PDF exports just to be safe.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

19. png transparent background showing black

Importing this icon and the transparent background is showing as black in current inDesign CC. Didn't have issues with similar icons from same site.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2022(v17.0.0.96). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Non-Printing Layers in Italics

InDesign no longer italicizes the name of non-printing layers in the layers panel. This made a scan of which layers were printing or non-printing quick and easy.

With the 2018 update, it seems like non-printing layer names just display as a SLIGHTLY lighter weight of the standard layer name type, making it hard to tell which layers are doing what at a glance.

An update that clearly demarcates non-printing layers would be appreciated.

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base