Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

117 results found

1. "Rolloff" in Animationpanel not working in CC2017 / CC2018 / MAC / WINDOWS

I am working on a diplom project right now, and faced a really annoying bug in InDesign. I want to create a rollover bar, wich slides up when I rollover / hover with my mouse over a certain object. I know without any kind of problems how I am able to create something like this, but my problem is, that the object simply wont return to its destination where it came from, when I rolloff it again, like going away with my mouse. It stays on its place once the animation has been completed, and when I hover over it…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Links on TOC doesn't work

Interactive links on the TOC does't work when I publish online or export to ePub. Even with “Create PDF Bookmarks” checked. The link itself is created, but it has no effect.

I'm using a Mac with InDesign CC 2018. (Until CC 2017 it was working fine).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. InDesign 2018 still crashing when updating in links panel after 13.0.1 update

InDesign 2018 still crashing when updating in links panel after 13.0.1 update. Running Mac OS High Sierra. It's one thing after another since updating to 2018.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. InDesign changing opacity for an unselected item

I am trying to place a slightly opaque rectangle over an image but when I select to lower the opacity on the rectangle, the image (regardless if it's above or below) changes as well.

What's more odd is when I select that photo after I do the action, the image says it is at 100%. The "change" has not been reflected. I have uploaded a 1-2-3 photo demo. Note the photo's slight change in transparency although set at 100%.

This happens when the photo and rectangle are in separate layers, as well. The two items are not placed within each…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The magic of InDesign’s effects all happens via Adobe’s transparency technology, which allows us to blend colors and detail from different objects. In order for it to all work there has to be a consistent color space for InDesign to use when it blends colors. This is called the Transparency Blend Space and it’s really important that you understand it in order to get the most out of InDesign’s effects. When we use transparency effects, InDesign compares different objects and combines their colors and detail. In order for objects to be blended, they have to be in the same color space. So when you apply transparency, InDesign converts everything on a spread to the Transparency Blend Space, regardless of whether that object is actually involved in the effect. And it’s important to note that when we say things are converted, we don’t mean that InDesign alters your placed files; they…

6. BUG - Paste in Place not pasting correctly with double page spread

Latest version (2018) does not correctly locate objects when using the 'paste in place' function.

Open a double page spread document. Select item from left page spread and paste in place on another spread in same document - locates incorrectly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

User confirmed that the issue is resolved with the latest update, on being contacted via email by Adobe staff member.

7. Auto-Fit for resizing photos.

I've upgraded from InDesign CS6 to CC 2018, and cannot properly resize photos proportionately. Cannot locate "Auto-Fit" button though every tutorial/directions say this is what to use.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. changing document size

Hello!

I am using the latest Version of Indesign CC 2018. (13.0).
    The following bug exists in the previous version as well.

Create a new indesign document of (for example) 500 x 500mm.

Next, place some single objects close to the border, but stay inside the documentformat.

Now, go to "File; Document settings", where you can adjust the document size. Decrease the size from 500 x 500 to (for example) 400 x 400, with the Preview-Button ENABLED.

Wait for the moment until the Objects move OUTSIDE the document border, because of the to smaller fileformat.

Now, again increase the the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. pages panel collapses

My document has many pages, 50 or more. When I open the document, the pages panel, more often than not, is completely collapsed, and I have to manually resize it back so that I can see all of the pages.
    I have the latest version of ID. I have been using versions of ID since 2001, and I never had this problem until I purchased this one. It makes me feel regret for buying it, I can tell you. It might seem like a small thing, but believe me it is annoying.
    I know ID inside and out, but nothing…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Crashing

Updated to High Sierra and Indesign 2017 is crashes on start up of large files?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. English (UK) dictionary apparently not working

Why, when I have set things to PROPER English rather than American English, is the spellchecker still working in Mericanese?

The attached will show British spellings being highlighted as wrong, yet PROPER English selected in preferences.

Thank you!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can select the text frame and change the language in the Control panel
    or you can select a specific portion of text, say a word, in a frame and change the language for that in the Control panel.

If you want to change the application’s default language, in a no document state, edit the [Basic Paragraph] style in the Paragraph Styles panel (in Advanced Character Formats) category.

12. Proportional Scaling Using Shift Button Not Working

In the 2017.1 release of InDesign, the ability to hold Shift and scale objects proportionally seems to have disappeared. I know for me this is a major functionality problem that is increasing the time I have to spend on current projects. I've checked support forums and others are encountering this problem, but I haven't yet seen a solution.

108 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while; we really appreciate your support!

Our investigation suggests that one of common reasons for the problem is that certain software (mostly antivirus and other security applications) and browser extensions happen to enable “Secure Keyboard Entry” on Mac machines due to which some keys such as Shift key in this case do not perform the desired action in InDesign.

For now I request you to follow the below provided KB doc for the quick workaround of the problem.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/features-do-not-work-keyboard-keys-mac.html

In the comments section many of the users have confirmed that disabling Webroot SecureAnywhere (a security app) has resolved the issue for them. Please note that, the problem may not be related to a particular software; there could be a different application or antivirus which might be causing the problem by enabling Secure Keyboard Entry on Mac.

Regards,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

13. help

Indesign help takes me to webpage that does not exist.
    http://community.adobe.com/chcservices/services/redirect?u=http://help.adobe.com&p=InDesign_12.0&l=en_US&id=AH_HOME

Browser shows:
    Safari can’t open the page “‎community.adobe.com/chcservices/services/redirect?u=http://help.adobe.com&p=InDesign_12.0&l=en_US&id=AH_HOME” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. ID CC crashes when edit original is clicked from right-click context dialog in Win 10

Running CC 2017.1 on Win 10 with tons of memory. After ID has been running for a couple of hours and I right-click edit original on a l inked AI element it instantly crashed. However, choosing edit original from the links menu does not crash. Have deleted cashes and recovery, turned off plugins. Nothing works. See attached error message.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. wont activate clipping path in InDesign

shows clipping path available under options, but will only activate if done thru Phototshop

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Issues with quick apply

Quick apply is very slow the first time that you've opened it after a while. In addition, if you switch to another document that you haven't viewed in a while and you click quick apply, InDesign crashes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 3 4 6 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base