Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Linked AI / vector file previews with jagged bezier curves when rotated 90 degrees

Bezier curve of linked AI file previews as jagged/tangent straight lines when rotated 90 degrees. Looks fine at all other angles.

Linked file is saved as AI 2020.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have verified this issue using customer document.Issue is reproducible in InDesign’s 15.0.2 and 14.0.3 versions.
    We will update this thread once we have proper fix for this issue.

Workaround:
    Please switch to CPU rendering and change display performance to typical.

2. Placed graphic displays and exports outside stroke.

A placed graphic will show onscreen and in graphic exports like PNG and JPG outside the stroke when the stroke is aligned to the inside of the frame. InDesign 2020 and earlier. To reproduce: place a graphic, add a stroke to the frame, align stroke to inside, export the page to jpg or png. A thin portion of the image is visible outside the stroke. Obviously, this is most noticeable when the stroke is thick and white.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Defining a stroke beginning with a gap does not work

If you define a stroke you can set the length of the first stroke to zero. But as you can see in the screenshot there is still some stroke visible.

Best solution: Make a "zero stroke" possible, a stroke which starts with a gap.

Second best solution: Change the minimum in the "length"-field to something > 0.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Variable fonts broken with World Ready Paragraph Composer

Using the World-ready composer essentially breaks the glyph width interpolation of Variable Fonts. The outcome is that text set in a Variable Font will receive the Variable Font's default style's horizontal glyph widths for any axis location, resulting in unusable overlap or gaps.

Attached you find a sample Indesign file with comparison and a screenshot thereof. This happens with any Variable Font I have tested so var, but to complete the same test case as included, download https://github.com/adobe-fonts/source-sans-pro/releases/download/3.006R/source-sans-pro-3.006R.zip and install VAR/SourceSansVariable-Roman.otf as well as OTF/*.otf files.

Link to Indesign file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h8fpld7ks7k8rb4/bug-report-variable-font-world-ready-composer.indd?dl=0

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. InDesign 2020 15.0.1 CEP panel size bug on Windows HiDPI with scaling > 100%

On some Windows workstations, my InDesign CEP panel has the wrong size (way too large). This looks like a re-surfacing of the old bug mentioned here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/get-started/cep-panel-wrong-size-in-cc2018/td-p/9660228?page=1

• Version:

InDesign version 15.0.1

• Steps to reproduce:

Install this dummy sample 'Hello World' panel into InDesign 15.0.1 on Windows 10 on a workstation with a HiDPI display. Make sure the Windows Display Scaling it set to 100%

https://rorohiko.com/downloads/ID2020PanelSizeBug/ID2020PanelSizeBug.1.0.0.zxp

Run InDesign, open the panel -> should be OK.

Quit InDesign, change the Windows display scaling to 200%

Run InDesign, open the panel -> panel is extraordinary large. See screenshots on

https://coppieters.nz/?p=333

• Expected result:

Panel…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Mouse very slow during mail merge

When exporting to a PDF using Indesign Mail Merge, the mouse is very slow, even if in other programs. That makes the computer unusable during export of large PDF's.

I found that only when the Windows Task Manager is on the front, the mouse acts normal again, but when I the Task Manager loses focus, the mouse is slow again.

We have this problem on our Windows PC's. On my Mac it works fine.

We use the latest Indesign (15.0.1)

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. InDesign and Acrobat accessibility conflict

Adobe InDesign version: 2019 CC

We are currently trying to establish the best workflow in creating fully accessible PDF's for screen readers and I believe we have come across a bug in the communication between InDesign and Acrobat.

Quick summary:

H1 elements on multiple lines read as separate elements unless assigned manually in Acrobat
    The Structure and Article order does not transfer to the PDF

To explain the issue clearly I have numbered the images in the process order.

1. Image: 1 InDesign Accessibility setup.png

2. I have setup ‘paragraph styles’ and used the correct ‘Export Tagging’ tags for each style.

3. I…
    8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Anchored textframe with auto-sizing/auto-adjusting "height" causes InDesign 2020 to freeze

Anchored textframe with auto-sizing/auto-adjusting "height", text aligned to baseline and anchored object settings "anchored position: custom", "anchorPoint: bottom left/center/right" causes InDesign 2020 (15.0.1) to freeze (on Mac and PC).

1. create an new document (size doesn't matter)

2. create an new textframe (dimensions doesn't matter)

3. create a second textframe (dimensions doesn't matter)

4. insert some text in second generated textframe

5. select the text and apply the option "align to baseline".

6. anchor second textframe into the first created textframe

7. set anchored object settings of the anchored textframe to: "anchored position: custom" and "anchorPoint: bottom left or bottom center or bottom right"

8. select the anchored…

58 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Serious problem of "^" for GREP search

Enter only "^" in the GREP search string field and click the search button to select the insertion point at the beginning of the paragraph. But this cannot be used for replacement. The replacement result is 0.
    I gave up that it was only useful for simple pointing tricks, but when I run it from a script the application hangs.

It is like this. (When executed, the rainbow cursor will rotate forever.
    Please be careful. )

app.findGrepPreferences.findWhat = "^";
    var res = app.activeDocument.findGrep ();

If the replacement string field is "~ c" (the contents of the clipboard), the first character…

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Save window file name AND extension are highlighted by default.

Before upgrading to Catalina, when I go to save a file or export the name of the file will be highlighted.

I can then tap the right arrow and the cursor (blinking line) will go to the end of the file name but BEFORE the file extension.

But after upgrading to Catalina, the file name AND the file extension are both highlighted by default so when pressing the arrow key, the cursor goes to the end AFTER the file extension.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Adobe Fonts automatically substituting versions of fonts that are document-stalled

When I open an InDesign file that has been packaged with all the fonts (non-Adobe Fonts) included in the Document fonts folder, if I happen to have the same version of the font activated in Adobe Fonts, InDesign automatically, and without warning, substitutes the Adobe Fonts version. This is a major problem. The heirarchy should be document-installed fonts FIRST, then InDesign can look in Adobe Fonts and suggest replacing it. This should not be done without warning in the background. It means that the person who was working in a package workflow without using any Adobe Fonts can send a…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Data Merge function "Remove Blank Lines for Empty Fields" deletes the wrong paragraph

Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server

Adobe InDesign 15.0.1

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6

iMac 27 Zoll End 2012

Steps to reproduce the issues

See also attached video

Open Document "02VKLeerzeilenTEMPEnde.indd"
    Open Data-Merge Panel
    Generate a merged document with click on the button
    Uncheck "Remove Blank Lines for Empty Fields" in Content Placement Options
    Press [OK]
    Repeat Step 3 this time Check "Remove Blank Lines for Empty Fields" in Content Placement Options
    Press [OK]
    Put the documents side by side
    Activate "Show Style override" in the paragraph panel
    Jump to page 2
    On the left…

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Type tool still deselects itself InDD 15.0.1

The bug has been already reported, it's been claimed to be fixed in 14.0.1, but actually still persists and never was corrected.

Typing "T" just selects the type tool very briefly, then changes back to the previous tool. Clicking inside a text frame has the same result, even if you get to select some part of the text, it just changes back tot he previous tool in most of the cases. The only way to get it work, is to select the tool in the sidebar, however even there it takes several seconds to become active.

Using InDD 15.0.1 on…

80 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

138 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. svg mask

InDesign does not keep masks that are embedded in the SVG. It ungroups them, causing hidden parts of the SVG to display.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Objects on the page jump if a left-hand page becomes a right-hand page and vice versa

Hi developers,
    this is a longstanding bug:

With facing pages documents on EVERY document page there is a zone where jumping of objects will happen.

I call this the jump zone. All objects on a page that will jump are clearly inside the page's area. The bug has nothing to do with rounding errors where object edges are at the edge of a page.

The objects should not move if pages are added or removed, if numbering of pages is changing. Nevertheless they do. Always. Unless, the zone has a width of zero.

Below all the details.

What is a…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. indesign crashes when deleting marker

when i delete an index marker, indesign crashes. It's not with all markers, just one word that crashes the document. That word is in my table of contents and in my index so both crash.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. skew in character style for numbered list - does not skew

1. Adobe InDesign 14.0.2 x64

2. Create a character style with skew i.e 10%. Create a paragraph style with a numbered list. Apply the character style to the numbered list.

3. skewed numbers

4. does not skew

5. -

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Publish Online feature has issues when viewed in iOS 13

We are using the "Publish Online" feature inside Adobe Indesign to make some of our content available on our website. We've recently received reports from users with Apple iOS 13 mobile devices that the content is not displaying properly on those types of mobile phones. When the content first opens, if you double tap the page zooms in ok and double tapping again zooms out ok. However, if you try to pinch/zoom, the page blows up very large such that you can only see a couple words and you cannot pinch to get back out. Sometimes double-tapping again takes it…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Adobe 2020 Crashes with copy & paste

Whenever I try to copy/paste small elements from adobe illustrator onto Adobe InDesign, indesign will automatically quit. If I try to recover the file after it has crashed, it crashes again...

What is happening here? This is an ongoing issue since the update.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. ID 2020 - Indent in combination with wrap text around an image not working

In Indesign 2020, whenever I want to wrap text next to an image, but the text also has an indent the text jumps from the supposed position.
    In Indesign 2019 this did not happen. The text was wrapped nicely next to the image, the way you should expect.

My guess what happens here, is that the indent specs are applied not the the edge of the frame, but to the edge of the text. Which corrupts the spacing between the image and the text.

I'm working with the latest 2020 version on iMac with Catalina

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

24 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base