Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. PDF Comments Insert Issues

PDF Comments do not insert at the correct location when the Insert is marked at the start or the end of a paragraph. The insert at the start of the paragraph instead gets inserted at the end of the previous paragraph. The insert at the end of a paragraph instead gets inserted *before* the final character (tested with period and question mark and happened with both).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. InDesign Performance issue: Lag in reflowing of text in a document with large number of footnotes

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015)
    macOS Sierra
    2.8 GHz Intel Core i5
    16gb Ram
    Indesign 14.0.1

Reflowing Bug when Resizing Text Box with Footnotes. As you can see in the video, the following page turns blank when I resize a text box to fit more content. Also, every I do this, the lag is noticeable. I tried with InDesign CC2018 and its more responsive.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly every time I launch Indesign CC 14.0.1

I am using Indesign CC14.0.1 on a MAC - OS Mojave V 10.14.1
    Whenever I launch Indesign I get a crash pop up saying AIGPU Sniffer has quit unexpectedly.
    Indesign is fine to work in however I am fed up with this AIGPU issue coming up all the time and don't know if it is effecting anything else?
    I've had loads of issues with the latest CC - really not impressed Adobe! Any suggestions on how to stop this happening?

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Indesign performance issue : Slow work of Indesign when editing text with large footnotes

I'd like to report a bug. Please follow the scenario below:

1. In a single column with lots of text in it, make two columns for a fragment of text

2. In text within the two-column setup, make a footnote. Add several lines of text to the footnote

3. Turn on the "Span Footnotes Across Columns" feature so that footnote ends up in the same group with the footnotes at the bottom of the page rather than below the two-column fragment

4. Expected behaviour: normal editing can be performed after these manipulations

5. Observed behaviour: any text editing after turning…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Margins – Irrelevant error message

CC2019 14.0.1 MacOS
    If I have a custom size page in the document (with it's own custom margins), that is smaller than the documents default margins – I get an error message every time I make InD active.

To repoduce:
    -Make new document – A4 with 20 mm margins
    -Add one page
    -Change margins on new page to 0 mm
    -Change with of new page to 10 mm width
    -Hide InDesign
    -Reactivate InDesign – Error message shown

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Adjust Layout  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. InDesign hangs while exporting to ICML

CC 2018 – ICML Export is hanging when trying to export.

See attached example file*, the text box highlighted on page 4 is what is causing the problem. In the export file produced (if this box is removed) the other boxes are incorrectly formatted.

* An .indd or .idml file was not allowed so unable to attach this but can provide if required.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Imported PDF comments not accurate

1. ID 14 Mac
    2. Import PDF comments from file, including strikethroughs, replaced text, comments
    3. Some edits NOT SHOWN in ID file, though clearly present when PDF is viewed in Acrobat
    4. Faithful transfer of all edits to ID file
    (note non-transferred strikethrough of Highlights of Baltics in bottom quarter of screendump)

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  PDF Comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. False layer gets duplicated through context menu

If for example layer 1 is selected in the layers panel and layer 2 is right-clicked, the context menu for layer 2 appears. If you choose to duplicate the layer 2, the selected layer 1 gets duplicated. Deleting works as expected.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. InDesign Fonts folder no longer respects symlinks (2019, Mac)

The Fonts folder in the InDesign 2019 application folder no longer follows symlinks, as previous versions did.

I prefer to keep my InDesign fonts separate from my system fonts, and in previous versions placed a symlink to my font folder in the InDesign application folder, titled "Fonts." InDesign would follow that link, and I would have access to all of my fonts within InDesign, without needing to install them user- or system-wide.

In InDesign 2019, no symlinks are followed - not on the top level, and not inside the folder either. (Tested by symlinking one font or one folder inside…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. InDesign crashes while closing the application

Nine times out of ten, Mac generates a crash report when closing InDesign CC 2019. InDesign closes fine, but Mac believes it crashed.

Mac Mojave 10.14

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Right Arrow / Left Arrow in tables

InDesign version 14.0.

The keyboard shortcut "Ctrl+Right Arrow" to move one word to the right does not work when the text cursor is in a table. Same for "Ctrl+Left Arrow", to move one word to the left.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. InDesign opens destination folder when exporting.

My InDesign opens the destination folder when exporting PDF-files. In my work I export files daily and I have to export them separately. So when I do this, after the export has completed successfully, the destination folder opens up automatically, which is very annoying. I can't seem to find any place, where I can turn this off. I can only turn it ON, if I don't export separately.

1. brand new update CC 2019
    2. Create a document with more than 2 pages. Export all the pages separately.
    3. That it exports the pages separately into the destination folder without…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. [Limited Undo] InDesign CC 2019 (v14.0) strg+z / cmd+z doesn't work properly

With the new Version the option to go back some steps seems to be cut at some point. I have been working on a couple of files now and going steps back with strg+z works for 2-3 steps. Somehow random but definitely not the way it used to work.

54 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

59 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hey ALL,
    We understand how frustrating this issue is.

It will be a great help if you could provide some more details so that we can narrow down what exactly might be causing the issue. Some details like
    1. What workflow / Feature / Action were you tried to use and how did it end? Did it succeed / failed with error?
    2. Are you launching multiple InDesign versions ?(e.g. 13.0 and 14.0 in some order)
    3. Is it OK if we ask you for the caches and preferences folder + the document when you have run into this issue?
    4. Will it be possible for you to join a VoIP / other form of meeting to detail out the problem and scenario ?

Thanks
    amaarora@adobe.com

14. Indesign performance issue : CC 2019 uses all the system memory on Mojave

So basically i cant't use InDesign since updating to the new version. Even if it's idle without anything open, it starts to use up all the system memory in macOs Mojave.

This is what happens:
    1. Open InDesign
    2. Doesn't matter if im working or it's just open
    3. After about 5 minutes, there's a system alert of Mojave saying, InDesign is using 550 GB of system memory and there's nothing left to work with.

System:
    iMac Pro (macOS Mojave 10.14)
    3 GHz Intel Xeon W (10 cores)
    64 GB RAM
    Radeon Pro Vega 64

It's a new iMac with…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Data Merge ignores files when a header field is called 'table'

If Data Merge tries to select a data source where one of its header fields is called 'table' (all lowercase), it fails to import (InDesign v 13.0.1). It doesn't seem to matter which column it's in, but changing it to anything else (e.g. 'Table' with uppercase 'T') seems to fix it.

Tried it on 2 machines, same result. Adobe Customer Care on Twitter confirmed they could replicate it and suggested I post it here.

Short video attached illustrating the issue.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Filetype is the same as CC 2018

InDesign CC 2019 (14.0.0.130) for Mac
    Filetype is the same as CC 2018. Each version has been given a unique Filetype. The only exception is v6.0.0–6.0.3 (CS4), but it was fixed as a bug in 6.0.4. I also expect it to be fixed as a bug of 14.0.0 as well.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This has been done to preclude any new entries for CFBundleTypeOSTypes. The previous release, CC2018 had CFBundleTypeOSType as IDdD but for the new release, we have not created the new OSType entry as IDdE rather kept the previos entry intact.

Apple had deprecated any entries of the form of CFBundleType from 10.5 and now recommends using a UTType(Uniform Type Identifier) entry instead of creating CFBundleType entries. We might choose creating UTTypes in the future. However, for now we have stopped creating separate CFBundleTypes for the new releases.
    It would helpful to know from you as to how you use these entries in your workflows so that we can suggest you an alternative.

17. ID crashes when pasting text

ID becomes very unstable if you copy and paste text from one text box to
    another that contains a paragraph style with a nested line format.
    If it doesn‘t crash immediately, move around the cursor with the arrow keys and try to paste text again.
    Please find attached a document to reproduce this bug

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. InDesign hangs while exporting InDesign document as IDML

Every time I try to save or export my InDesign document to idml it never finishes. It immediately goes to 27%, and then it never progresses.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Idml Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Mac OS Mojave 'Dark Mode' and CC Apps

Load/Save dialogues and title bar don't honour 'dark mode' in the latest Mac OS

• Open/Save dialogues (Illustrator/Photoshop/Indesign/AcobatDC)
    • Title bar (Illustrator/Indesign/AcobatDC)

Haven't tried any other apps yet...

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. InDesign crashes on launch with Faulty module "PMRuntime" unless launched as Administrator or Creative Cloud Application

Issue: InDesign CC will not open from the Start Menu unless "Run as administrator" is selected. This is not an option for standard users.

It will open OK from the Creative Cloud Desktop App.

Event viewer log is generated showing the following:
    Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version 13.1.0.76
    Faulting module name: PMRuntime.dll, version 5.0.0.191

Version: InDesign CC 2018, 13.1.076
    Also occurs with version 12.1.0.56
    Windows OS: Windows 10, version 1803 (Build 17134.165)

Select InDesign CC from the start menu. The application does not open and no messages appear. Check Event Viewer > Application to see the error.

There…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base