Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Crash when continuing to place text from Word

Hello.

When I try to continue to place text from any Word document Indesign crashes. It actually won't crash by "itself", it just stops working.

I have followed the steps you outlined here: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html#Howtosubmitcrashreports

to submit a crash report. However, since I have to Force quit it I cannot get the report crash dialogue.

MacOSX version: 10.14.6
    Indesign version: Any from 14.0.3 to 15.1.2

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.
    If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Freeze

InDesign freezes. I'm just working, and it freeze. Or sometimes it happens when I open another window, and then I can't back to Adobe Indesign, I have to force the program to close.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.
    If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign froze?
    • Video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Hyperlink causing InDesign to crash

I have an issue in a file that I'm working with where if I scroll to a certain point in the hyperlink panel, my entire InDesign program crashes. I've tried deleting all of the hyperlinks one-by-one, and I noticed that it always crashes when I reach the same point (about 2/3rds down the list).

I think there's a hyperlink that's become an issue within the file, and whenever InDesign tries to show that specific one within the hyperlink panel, it crashes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?

Adobe InDesign Team

4. ID freezes when selecting several characters

When trying to select several characters in inDesign 15.1.1.x64 under Windows 10 v1909 Home, the app inevitably freezes up.. This happens when selecting with the mouse as well as when using the arrow keys. So far I couldnʼt find any workaround. I consider this a lethal bug since it makes adequate editing a virtual impossibility. My subscription version is up to date.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2020.1.2(v15.1.2.226) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign froze?
    • Video recording of the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

5. When I share to review, weird things happen

I have InDesign 15.1.1 and I've been using the new Share to Review feature often. I've noticed that my text and tables would completely disappear on random pages and the Table of Contents became messed up as well. To make the text reappear, I had to adjust the size of the frame by a pixel or two then it would return. It didn't matter if I made the frame bigger or smaller.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Share for Review SYNC Broken

I use "Share" > "Share for Review" on a Program for review by multiple departments for edits. I received notifications of over 200 edits, but upon opening the InDesign file to begin changes, the "Window" > "Comments" > "Review" Panel data is empty and again says "Create Review".

So the connection from my online review and the source InDesign is broken. Additionally, there is no option to save that online version as a pdf to import the comments via that option in "Window" > "Comments" > "PDF Comments"

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve released an update to InDesign – 15.1.2

Please update to this latest version and see if the issues you were facing earlier have got resolved.

Remember to check how you are signed into your CC account and if need be, sign out and sign in again. Since Share for Review is a service and dependent on your login to your Adobe ID account, it is important that CCD app is working well with your credentials.

Adobe InDesign team

7. Cannot remove hyperlink from image

For some reason InDesign has no option to remove hyperlink from an image. It took me hours to search for solution until I gave up and deleted the image and recreated it with a new hyperlink. This is pathetic and needs to change. When you right click an image, we should see "Hyperlink" > "Remove Link". This is so basic, its really upsetting to have to post this here.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. "Shin Dot" and "sin Dot" does not work

On Mac, InDesign version 15.1.1 - typing the Unicode character "Shin Dot" and "sin Dot" does not work with the keyboard, only with the glyphs panel

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. InDesign 15.1.1 - Fonts not activating - stuck on spinning circle background tasks

I have a problem on InDesign 15.1.1 - My Creative Cloud fonts are not activating... How can I sort this out? It's stuck on the spinning blue circle of doom - the background task has been saying queued for hours now.

I need my fonts not sure what to do?? Help.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Crash when copy/paste table cells in InDesign (15.1)

Application crashes when copying/pasting table cell attributes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Not able to scroll down beyond page 2-3 spread

I have a 6-page document in spreads. I am unable to scroll down beyond pages 2-3 spread.

InDesign 15.0.3 x64

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Selecting all and then deselecting some text in one go

I have been using InDesign since forever. Since the very first versions. But something has changed in the update to version 15.0.3.

When I select text, I often want to select an entire paragraph, except for the hidden character "paragraph return". I do that by holding Shift+Command+Arrow Down. That selects the entire paragraph including the hidden character. Then I would normally just let go of the command button and still hold Shift and then push the Arrow left button. That way I had selected the entire paragraph without the hidden character.
    But in the latest update, 15.0.3 I now suddenly…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. "Balance Ragged Lines" does nothing

When activating it on the Paragraph panel or in the Paragraph styles, there's no change in the paragraph at all.

I'm using MacOS 10.15.4 (19E287), and the latest version of InDesign 15.0.2.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. spell check in tables

See attached document.
    The mis-spelled word "tiime" is addressed correctly in column 1 rows 1 and 2.
    The mis-spelled word "paarty" is addressed correctly in column 2, line 1.
    The mis-spelled word "partu" is is underlined correctly in column 2, line 2, but right-clicking on the word does not bring up spelling correction options.
    "partu" will, however, be treated correctly using Edit -- Spelling -- Check Spelling... .

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Bug: InDesign Index page ranges not working when using "Next use of Style" options

Adobe InDesign 2020
    15.0.2 x64

Issue:

I am trying to create index entries that include a page range (such as 26-29) instead of a single page number using paragraph styles.

I am having trouble getting the page ranges for my indexed content to update correctly. Specifically, the index entry always only shows the first page of the range in the index pane on the first attempt.

I can sometimes (but not always) trick it into updating the page range correctly. I attached a video of it finally working after five failed attempts.

Here is what I tried:

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Can't Export PDF due to Indesign background tasks error

Re-installed latest version of Indesign and still have the problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Cannot pull guides from ruler. Show Guides is on. This has been a problem in 15.0 and beyond!

Cannot pull guides from ruler. Show Guides is on. This has been a problem in 15.0 and beyond!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Crash when smart reflowing a document with many anchored text boxes

Indesign is freezing/crashing when smart text reflow is used to reflow the attached document. Other documents are fine. This document is unique in that it contains many anchored text boxes and decimal tabs.

I am using InDesign 15.0.2

To witness the bug, 1) open the attached document, 2) click the red text marked with a note, 3) apply the "bug illustration" paragraph style.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base