Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

216 results found

1. InDesign 14.0.1 is crashing hourly

For three days my InDesign 14.0.1 has been crashing almost exactly hourly. It just freezes and I get the spinning beachball. Only recourse is to re-start my Mac. I've uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times. Prior to this, I had downloaded Lightroom... I thought this might have been the initial cause. I uninstalled Lightroom and all my Adobe products. Any ideas?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. storing files on desktop

Not an idea, but a problem...InDesign support is telling me that I need to store my customer's book (a catalog) on my desktop AND all the associated images...that's impossible...there are over 1300 images in this 180 page book.
    ID crashed three consecutive times today trying to open the book to change the dates which appear on the master pages...I'm using the most updated version of creative cloud in a windows 10 environment...
    Any ideas of how to fix this? InDesign seems like a very unstable software to have come from a premier (and premium) software company like Adobe.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. hyperlinks missing or corrupt when opening CC2017 documents into CC2019

InDesign files opened from CC2017 (They were on our backup server from a job 3 years ago) using InDesign 14.0.2 x64 on Win10 64bit (CC2019) -
    They open fine without any issue except the hyperlinks - they are all broken/corrupt. When doubleclicking on one, it is effectively blank, as if I were making a new one.
    I tried saving as .idml and reloading, but it was still the same. How can I get these hyperlinks back to normal? Do I have to reinstall CC2017 again (is that even possible?).
    Any help greatly appreciated

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, start a new thread by adding all the relevant details.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. InCopy crashes while saving document or checking in

InCopy 14.4, MacOS 10.14.4
    InCopy document crashes all the time while saving or checking in a document.
    The document contains a lot of comments and cross references to other documents.
    I have already tried to copy all content into a new document. This does not help.
    I cannot work further on the document, so I need assistance!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. InDesign 2019 keeps crashing when I change the document size in the properties panel.

Every time I want to change the document/page size in the properties panel so I can have different page sizes in the document InDesign crashes. Over and over.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Indesign 2019 CC crash after relink document

Every time when I try to relink a document in Indesign 2019 CC, the program crashes. I already send several crash reports to Adobe, no respond.

Adobe could you please fix this bug asap? It is very annoying and I can not do my work properly this way.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. windows 10

I am opening InDesign from the start menu but it crashes each time. it will open ok from CC.
    1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server- InDesign CC 2019 14.0
    2. Steps to reproduce the issues – Tried installing oolder versions but seeing the same issue
    3. Expected result – Indesign to open
    4. Actual result – Crash report page appears

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Shortkeys causing program to freeze

Hi, I'm using the latest Indesign CC on my windows 10 laptop
    Indesign keeping freezing and doesn't recover when i use any shortcut keys.
    E.g ctrl E to export a PDF will crash the program, so i need to go the long way of file - export etc

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Indesign CC does not open

Indesign CC 14.0.1 does not open. When I want to open Indesign it shows the loading screen but after that indesign closes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. crash launch

I have installed the latest version of Indesign using creative cloud. I used to have CS6 installed and it was no problem then. Now when i try to launch the application it just suddenly shuts down after "starting up panels" is shown.
    No error message. Just stop launching. What to do?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. ^t

In InDesign, when I use the ^t shortcut to get the type control panel, I lock up and then have to go to Task Manager and close InDesign. (InDesign 14.0.1 x64, Windows 10 Enterprise Version: 1803)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Indesign CC2018 crashes on Cmd-V

I'm working on my masters and using a Split Window to copy and paste text from the same document into a list of references. Cmd-V crashes Indesign. With no warning, or hang, it literally shows me the desktop, no save, nothing. Thankfully auto recover sorts it out, but this is something Adobe needs to look at. I can't tell if there is anything special about the text other than it was a web link and had a paragraph style.

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. indesign 2019 crashing upon being opened

as soon as i open indesign 2019, it freezes before i can do anything. i have to force quit, but it it doesn't fix it. it still happens every time. i've resorted back to using indesign 2018.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Crashes while inserting a new page in between document

Im using Indesign CC 2019 to create a 180 paged book. While trying to insert a new page in between or delete a page, it keeps loading for a very long time (7-8 mins) and then shows a error message sometimes or mostly crashes.
    This problem just started occurring from yesterday. So far the file was fine.
    Kindly help.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

18. stuck on type tool

I'm stuck on the Type tool. It won't let me select or change my tools at all. I've had to shut down and restart three times now. Whenever I get into the type tool, it stays and I can't get out or click anywhere else. Keyboard shortcuts do not work

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to switching between tools, or other lags

Over the time this thread has become too generic to serve its purpose effectively. As per your feedback and the outcome of our investigation we have created multiple threads to address each root cause separately and effectively.

If you are…

19. Master pages can't be applied/loaded

Whenever I try to load/apply new master pages to a document, InDesign crashes. I have already rebootet and the same problem still appears. Also tried it on a coworkers computer and the problem is still there.
    New master pages can't be loaded/applied.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. mouse lag in indesign when photoshop window open

Experiencing terrible mouse lag in indesign, the cursor flickers constantly and it feels like the mouse is swimming through mud. Nearly enough to make the program unusable. Reinstall fixes the problem temporarily but it returns within 30mins.

I have identified that this only happens when a photoshop window is open behind or next to the indesign window.

Indesign 13.1
    Photoshop 19.1.2
    Mac os sierra 10.12.6

19 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)