Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

117 results found

1. US Dictionary continues to use UK spellings

My Indesign Dictionary is set to English: USA, but it still regularly corrects to UK spellings i.e. enrol vs. enroll. I am running Indesign 13.1. Can this be fixed?

https://highgatecreative.d.pr/4tqesc

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The Dictionary section in Preferences dialog shows the Dictionary that is in use for a particular Language. The path (which looks like /Linguistics/UserDictionaries/Adobe Custom Dictionary/…) shown in the dialog is the location of the dictionary that is being used. You can add your own custom User Dictionary by clicking on the + button.
    The Language used for Spell check is NOT the one chosen in the Preferences dialog.

To specify the default Language used for Spell check for all documents, you should close all documents and select the Type Tool. The Control panel (when Character Formatting Controls – ‘A’ button is selected at the left) shows the Default Language set for all documents. This is the language used for Spell Check. You can also open the Paragraph Styles panel, double-click on the [Basic Paragraph] style and under Advanced Character Formats section, change the Language.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign…

2. InDesign changing opacity for an unselected item

I am trying to place a slightly opaque rectangle over an image but when I select to lower the opacity on the rectangle, the image (regardless if it's above or below) changes as well.

What's more odd is when I select that photo after I do the action, the image says it is at 100%. The "change" has not been reflected. I have uploaded a 1-2-3 photo demo. Note the photo's slight change in transparency although set at 100%.

This happens when the photo and rectangle are in separate layers, as well. The two items are not placed within each…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The magic of InDesign’s effects all happens via Adobe’s transparency technology, which allows us to blend colors and detail from different objects. In order for it to all work there has to be a consistent color space for InDesign to use when it blends colors. This is called the Transparency Blend Space and it’s really important that you understand it in order to get the most out of InDesign’s effects. When we use transparency effects, InDesign compares different objects and combines their colors and detail. In order for objects to be blended, they have to be in the same color space. So when you apply transparency, InDesign converts everything on a spread to the Transparency Blend Space, regardless of whether that object is actually involved in the effect. And it’s important to note that when we say things are converted, we don’t mean that InDesign alters your placed files; they…

3. Beachball on start, takes 2 force quits before fully starting

When I start InDesign 13.1 on macOS 10.13.4 it take 3 attempt. I have to force quit the first two attempts because it almost always beachballs. Then on the third attempt it finally works. This behavior is pretty consistent. Sometime I completely restart the computer. Other times it take longer to start.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

4. Group in Old Layer -> Ungroup in New Layer = Error

I like to layer different styles of content. I'll have a background layer for images, etc., that I want to not touch later so I can lock/unlock while I work with my content over the top of it. Sometimes, I accidentally am in the background layer and create content that needs to be moved to another layer. I would love for a feature like Illustrator that allows me to highlight an object or group of objects, click an opposing layer, and then right-click > arrange > move to selected layer.

Also, there is a slight bug I've found, but it…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

There is an option in the Layers panel flyout menu called “Ungroup Remembers Layers”. This is ON by default. That’s why when you ungroup, the objects go back to the layers to which they belonged prior to the grouping. You can uncheck this option if you want to have the objects get ungrouped on the same layer as the group.

5. Copy a object in InDesign by holding down the alt-key and move obect with the mouse doesn-t work with InDesign CC18 aunder MacOS High Sierra

Copying an object in InDesign by holding down the alt-key and moving the object with the mouse doesn't work any more with InDesign CC18 under MacOS High Sierra. For me this is (has been ..) a key function in InDesign!

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Stroke Alignment Changes Shape Size

InDesign 13.0.1

Steps to Reproduce:
    1. Create a shape (Rectangle, Circle, Polygon)
    2. Add stroke to shape
    3. Change stroke alignment

Expected Result:
    - Stroke changes alignment to what the user set (inside, outside, centered).

Actual Result:
    - Shape size (and bounding box) change, while stroke remains aligned inside the bounding box.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The stroke is always shown inside the bounding box for all three types of stroke alignments. But if you check the size of the object, it will be different for different stroke alignments.
    For example, if you have a square of 100 pt x 100 pt with a 20 pt stroke weight aligned to Center, its W & H = 120 pt. Similarly for the same square, if the stroke is aligned to Inside, its W & H = 100 pt while for stroke aligned to Outside, its W & H = 140 pt.

This is how it has been designed.

7. master override

Applied master pages (spread) to all pages which includes a table along page edges for navigation. On a normal page when I attempt to override by Ctrl+Shift click the edge table from the master element to override, Indesign hangs or crashes and prompts a crash report. Only happening on the left side page of the spreads for some reason???

The subsequent launch of the program also crashes, I assume because it attempts to resume. Using the recovered version will not launch either. Must remove recovery data.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the customer, the issue was specific to a document and rebuilding the master page items solved the issue.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. InCopy Assignments Updates Crash InDesign

I have an InDesign book file housing several InDesign files that are news page documents with InCopy assignments. When I open the .indd files from the .indb file and a story has been updated (update links dialogue) when I click on "update links" InDesign crashes. I've clicked "don't update links" and it doesn't crash. However, when I go to the page that needs updating and I click update in the assignments panel, InDesign crashes.
    This all happened before and after I reset my InDesign preferences.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Links on TOC doesn't work

Interactive links on the TOC does't work when I publish online or export to ePub. Even with “Create PDF Bookmarks” checked. The link itself is created, but it has no effect.

I'm using a Mac with InDesign CC 2018. (Until CC 2017 it was working fine).

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. copy multiple text-frames > crash

When I try to copy more then one text-frame InDesign (latest version, Mac, El Capitan) crashes.

Sad to say that this does not happen in every document (but in more than one), so it's hard to find the cause.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. BUG - Paste in Place not pasting correctly with double page spread

Latest version (2018) does not correctly locate objects when using the 'paste in place' function.

Open a double page spread document. Select item from left page spread and paste in place on another spread in same document - locates incorrectly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

User confirmed that the issue is resolved with the latest update, on being contacted via email by Adobe staff member.

12. QuickApply crashes if an image is placed in a table

Version: InD CC 2017 (and previous)

Steps:
    1. Create a table
    2. Place image in a cell (linked or embedded)
    3. Command-Enter (attempt to open quickApply)

Expected result:
    No crash

Actual result:
    crash

File attached

If images are placed in a table cell, InD crashes when using QuickApply.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. English (UK) dictionary apparently not working

Why, when I have set things to PROPER English rather than American English, is the spellchecker still working in Mericanese?

The attached will show British spellings being highlighted as wrong, yet PROPER English selected in preferences.

Thank you!

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

You can select the text frame and change the language in the Control panel
    or you can select a specific portion of text, say a word, in a frame and change the language for that in the Control panel.

If you want to change the application’s default language, in a no document state, edit the [Basic Paragraph] style in the Paragraph Styles panel (in Advanced Character Formats) category.

14. wont activate clipping path in InDesign

shows clipping path available under options, but will only activate if done thru Phototshop

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. PDF comment import does not show regular sticky notes.

The new PDF comment feature imports the comments just fine, but regular sticky note comments are not displaying. They show up in the list, but do not point to where they are on the document.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Crash ID2018 with a right click

InDesign 2018 (latest update) on macOS Sierra (latest update) crashes when right-clicking a text box with Apple Magic Mouse. Text box could be empty or full, same result. Help please!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Object does not stay in center of document after resizing document format

Hello, I found some weird issues in Indesign CC 13.1 on Mac OS El Capitan.
    When I place an object centerd in the middle of a document (for example
    500 x 500 px) and I resize the document size to for example 700 x 700 px (something larger than 500 x 500), the Object won't stay in the middle, but moves to the right or left border - even I set the reference point within the transform-window to "middle" and also disable "double page".

Why does the object not stay centered at the document format?
    I attached a PDF-File where…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. high sierra 13.5

I have a MacBook Pro 2018 and upgraded my OS to 10.13.5 last week. Ever since upgrading to High Sierra originally I had some issues with the program freezing when my computer was running lots of programs. However, after upgrading the OS last week now Indesign has become almost non-functional (I have CC v. 13.1 ). Every time I click to simply type or scroll pages the colour wheel spins and it takes literally minutes to make a single click.

I have restarted my computer, tried using different files locally on my machine and an our company server. Documents with…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign 2018 13.1 crashing when saving back to Studio Server

We've just updated our studio with new macs, running High Sierra Version 10.13.4 and the most recent InDesign Version 13.1.

When we open a .indb document and edit one of the individual .indd files within it and attempt to save back to our Studio NAS drive/Server on our ethernet network the program crashes, corrupts the entire file and makes no effort to restore the file.

We are also running our old Macs, on Yosemite 10.10.5 with Indesign 2017 and have not experienced this issue at all for the 7 years we have used these machines.

We’ve looked on various forums…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 1 vote

We're glad you're here