Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

185 results found

1. png transparent background showing black

Importing this icon and the transparent background is showing as black in current inDesign CC. Didn't have issues with similar icons from same site.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix of the issue is now available in the latest InDesign 2022(v17.0.0.96). We recommend you upgrade to the latest version for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Paragraph Return is changed into Paragraph Separator (U+2029)

Version: Indesign CC 2018 and Incopy CC 2018

The bug as described on https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2344905 still exists in the latest version.

During the exporting INDD into IDML, the error below occurs.
    Certain Paragraph Return (\r) is changed into 'PARAGRAPH SEPARATOR'(U+2029) and the first sentence’s paragraph style is changed into the paragraph style of the second sentence which makes two sentences into one.
    Every time this bug occurs, we have to open the INDD file and change “U+2029” into another character such as “space” and export it again.
    Finally we found out that this error occurs when 8000th character is “Paragraph Return…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  IDML Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

3. Changing font in Character Panel frequently causes a crash in Indesign CC 2018

Since 2018 version, changing a font in the character panel frequently crashes the application, but not 100% of the time. Font worked fine in older version and sometimes works fine in 2018, but the same issue has happened a good few times in the last week or so.

23 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support all this while. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.
    Please upgrade to the new InDesign 14.0 from your Creative Cloud Application.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Let us know your feedback in the comment section.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

4. Can't delete InDesign color swatch

Documents inherit a swatch from a picked-up file and the swatch can not be deleted.

1) This problem has existed for us since at least InDesign CS4 and persists through the current CC 2018 build (13.1).

2) In the attached file, "Select All Unused" in the Swatches panel. There is no content at all in the file. All objects have been deleted, as have all text and object styles. Try to delete the unused process color swatch, "C=80 M=76 Y=70 K=73."

3) We expect the unused swatch to be deleted.

4) Trash can icon in Swatches panel is grayed out…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Update:
    -————-
    Following upon the comments from the users who had mentioned that the issue is still not resolved for them, we contacted them on email to gather more information.
    It was found that the issue is no longer reproducible for them, hence we are closing the thread.
    If you still have any concern over the fix of the issue, you may directly reach out to sakverma@adobe.com

===========

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know…

5. [Break in CC 2018] Text frame properties lost when copying and pasting frames across document

I have a document that uses top justification in a text frame, and bottom justification in another text frame. When I copy these frames, with or without any other objects, into a new document (think business card imposition), the bottom justification changes to top justification, altering the layout of the document.

I have reset my preferences, and tried the fixes described here: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2402361 and here https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2401857

With no success.

Attached is a 1UP file (Original with mixed justification) and a 24UP file (with resulting error)

35 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

57 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Static Endnotes

When importing Word files with Static Endnotes ticked from Word .doc files the endnote indicators within the text are no longer superior. There is no character style to be able to change these back. Without these indicators remaining superior makes the Static Endnotes a waste of time if you work in .doc instead of .docx. We always use .doc files as there are too many bugs using .docx - bits of text missing; loss of italics here and there etc. Using .doc files are always foolproof. We are typesetters manipulating text 12 hours a day and know all the pit…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

7. Placed ICML files do not appear in the Assignments panel

Placed InCopy ICML files should appear in the Assignments panel. They do not. This is under InDesign CC2018.1.

The only step needed to reproduce this is to create an InCopy file. Save it and then place in InDesign.

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

If you are unable to see the update yet, click on the menu (three dots) on the top right corner of Creative cloud app and click on “Check for App Updates”.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

8. 61 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while. The fix of the issue is now part of InDesign’s latest update, Id 13.1

Update your InDesign through Creative Cloud app to Id 13.1

Thanks,
    Abhinav

9. PDF

When placing a PDF of stylized text into ID2019, some text flips upside down. But it works fine in ID2018.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. cross-references bug introduced with 2018.1 update

The 2018.1 "search" added to cross-references is great and will be very helpful. Unfortunately it appears that a bug was introduced in the process of adding this feature.

When you double-click on a cross-reference in the Cross-References panel, it opens the Edit Cross References window. This used to open the window to the cross-reference you selected so you could edit it. Now, it opens the window at [All Paragraphs] with the first paragraph in this list selected.

This is a MESS for my workflow, as I now have to search through the cross-references to find and select the one I…

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. New Document Thumbnails

I don't see the added value of the 'Thumbnails' in the New Document panel.
    Those are rather confusing than functional, since all have the same aspect ratio.
    Won't it be nice when the default icon reflects the actual orientation and aspect ratio?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Copy in Indesign layout is menu clicked "All Caps". PDF comments does not work. Only when copy is set to normal

When my copy in Indesign layout is menu clicked "All Caps" from tool bar or Character menu. I make a change request in the PDF. Like "remove" a word. Then Import the PDF comments. Accept does not work. The only time it works is if the copy is set to regular copy or if you type the copy in "All Caps". No menu changes.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

13. InDesign palettes/panels do not expand or open when Application frame is Off

These small panels that you can attach to the large panels would not expand now after the update to 13.0.1
    I had problems with it already 2 updates back.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your support. The issue is now fixed in the latest update of InDesign.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

14. No Panels at Start

Many times CC apps start with no panels at all or panels which won't expand when clicked.

Also happens in Photoshop, Illustrator in my experience and on different machines (Mac Pro at home, different iMacs at the office).

Has been going on for many iterations of CC apps.

macOS High Sierra 13.13.3 / CC 2018 InDesign 13.0.1

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    As per some recent comments on this thread, customers have confirmed that the issue is fixed.
    We are closing the thread. In case issue is encountered again, please log a new thread.

-InDesign Team

15. Publish Online is converting two pages of a spread into one wide page, and overriding PDF settings on the download

I am publishing a document that is made up of 8.5 x 11" pages, set up as spreads. I want to publish it online with the view setting set to spreads, but be able to download it as a normal single page PDF.

When I publish the document, I have to choose export as spreads so that two pages show up side by side on screen. The PDF export settings I am using under advanced are for single pages, but for some reason the PDF that is created is combining pages. So, for example, my 9 page document (a cover…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Placing objects with gradient from illustrator.

Hi, I - and not only I - expierenced ugly 'new feature' that is can't copy objects with gradients from Illustrator 23.0.1 to new version of InDesign 14.0.1 (in previous version all works fine) in editable format. Yes I heard about placing ext. file - but this not the sollution. For many version of InDesign this works perfectly then why now this feature is broken?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update (14.0.2) of InDesign 2019.

If you are unable to see the update notification, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

The list of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

17. Indesign performance issue : Object movement

Indesign is always giving me rainbow wheel even if I edit small slides.

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

In the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3
    We have fixed multiple scenarios where the movement of objects was found to be slow.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3

18. Cannot resize Epub Interactivity Preview panel

I can not resize the Epub Interactivity Preview Panel at all.
    I am using the latest InDesign CC 2018.

SWF Preview panel is fine.

18 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

Hi all,

We worked on this issue . Please update InDesign to latest release i.e. 14.0.2 and let us know if the issue is fixed for you.

Thanks

19. CC2018 exporting pixelated PDF

Every export setting is giving same result.. Some have hidden items showing up. all have pixilations. Illustrator is exporting perfectly, I use 1 of 2 export settings for everything we do here.

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

35 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest November’17 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.0.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

20. ID crashes when pasting text

ID becomes very unstable if you copy and paste text from one text box to
    another that contains a paragraph style with a nested line format.
    If it doesn‘t crash immediately, move around the cursor with the arrow keys and try to paste text again.
    Please find attached a document to reproduce this bug

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base