Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. "View PDF after exporting" previously opened acrobat, now my computer switches between opening Illustrator, Mircosoft Word, rarely Acrobat

I've set my computer to use Acrobat as default, yet perhaps you could add an Application of choice to use when view exported PDF.

Not sure if it's just a bug, but any fix would be welcome. Thank you!

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Excel filter rejects custom Cell Range for 26-column sheets (.xlsx-only)

Excel filter rejects custom Cell Range for 26-column sheets (.xlsx-only)

Steps to reproduce the issues:
    1. Create a new document.
    2. Select File > Place, check Show Import Options, select attached Columns_26.xlsx file.
    3. Note nonstandard default Cell Range: A1:A@10 (should be A1:Z10).
    4. Enter custom (valid) Cell Range "A1:E5"

Expected result:
    No error and a table containing cells A1 through E5.

Actual result:
    Error message, "You have not entered a valid 'Cell Range'. (See attached screenshot.)

This error is given for any sheet whose right-most column is a multiple of 26 (so Z, AZ, BZ, etc.). Place the attached…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Make bulleted lists act correctly when it's moved by text wrap

The bullets on the image attached have a left indent of 3 mm and a first line left indent -3 mm, but have incorrect layout, because the adjacent text box has text wrap applied, which displaces the text with bullets.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. InDesign crashes while working with Hyperlink

For some reason there is 1 page number on my TOC that keeps making Indesign crash when I try applying a hyperlink to it. Everything else hyperlinked just fine. Also, I tried to delete the text so I could maybe retype the number but that also makes my application crash.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. unable to change font, size, style in Script UI, alignment problem with Image on button

Unable to perform basic features such as changing of text Font, Styles, Sizes in CC's scriptUI.
    Alslo image in button way OFF alignment.

This result in uglier customized UIs than it's older versions.
    As the world population is getting older, the ability to have bigger font size and style is really needed.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. 4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting this issue. We have seen this issue being reported by some users ever since Paragraph Shading as a feature was introduced in InDesign.
    I have marked this issue as “Under Review” for consideration by the InDesign team.

-Aman

7. Unable to change fonts

I am unable to change fonts.

Changing weights seems to work, but changing fonts does not work.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    We are looking into the issue.
    Can you reply in comments the exact issue which you are facing?
    From the comments and thread details, it seems the issue is changing the font from font menu on clicking the enter (return) key.
    You confirmation will help us understand the bug and the use case

Thanks

8. Object Style Options: XY Offset < 1440

MacOS High Sierra
    InDesignCC 2018 13.1

When setting up Object Style Options > Size and position options > Position > Adjust X OR Y,
    it’s impossible to manually enter any value bigger than 1440 px (pt), regardless of page size.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Data Merge to PDF (using the new single page export feature) does not work properly

Using the packaged folder attached, go to the Data Merge panel and select Export to PDF. Click OK on the first dialog box and in the second dialog box, make sure the "Create Separate PDF files" checkbox is checked.
    Expected result - 6 PDFs that have correct content in each PDF.
    Actual result - 6 PDFs that have incorrect content. PDF 1 is fine, but PDFs 2-6 are the same content as PDF 2.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Screenflickering - Screen turns black when moving objects.

When i drag and drop a Textframe my Screen flickers black for a second - almost every damn time. This happens for me and most of my colleagues and it is horrible to work with.

I feel like it got worse after installing the latest "Tablehead" fix that fixed the disapearing tableheads.

Build 12.1.0.56
    OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
    iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5", 2015)
    3,3 GHz Intel Core i7
    16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
    Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB

2nd Monior is a DELL U2414H, 23,5" at 1800p

This is happening on quite a lot of machines in…

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. png transparent background showing black

Importing this icon and the transparent background is showing as black in current inDesign CC. Didn't have issues with similar icons from same site.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Can't create shortcut for styles on mac

In the Adobe docs it says "If your keyboard does not have a Num Lock key, you cannot add keyboard shortcuts to styles." I can't believe that Adobe is perfectly content with just excluding large portions of its Mac user base, those of us who are exclusively using a Mac laptop for work (which does not have a keyboard with a numeric pad or the Num Lock Key), from being able to create and therefore take advantage of time-saving shortcuts for character styles. I mean, come on. Why is it again that I am paying $50/month for Adobe CC?

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  18 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Hunspell dictionaries cannot be added in Sierra or High Sierra

Adding Hunspell dictionaries breaks code-signing, and results in the whole of InDesign's spelling system being sand-boxed by OSX.

Steps to reproduce:

1. On High Sierra and InDesign CC, add a Hunspell dictionary, as detailed here: https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/add_cs_dictionaries.html

2. Spell-check any InDesign document using the new dictionary and spell-checking then becomes unusable, until InDesign is uninstalled then re-installed.

The following types of errors are produced in the console, showing that it's a code-signing issue, caused by dictionaries being installed within the Hunspell plugin bundle.

Can I suggest that there should be another place to install additional languages, outside the InDesign application.

The…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. BUG: Changes aren't tracked for bottom-right table cell

The last cell in a table is a “dead” cell as far as Track Changes is concerned. If you copy cells from another row and paste them in the last table row, if the selection you are pasting into contains the last cell in the table, the pasted text will not be marked as a change. Likewise, inserting a new row in a table as the last row via drag and drop isn’t marked as an insertion at all. Inserting a new column in a table as the last column via drag and drop is tracked as an insertion for…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue.
    We have been able to reproduce the issue.

“The last cell in a table is a “dead” cell as far as Track Changes is concerned. If you copy cells from another row and paste them in the last table row, if the selection you are pasting into contains the last cell in the table, the pasted text will not be marked as a change. "
    This issue seems to be present since CS 6

-Aman

15. Indesign performance issue : Bad performance when using span columns in InDesign/InCopy

VERSIONS
    Windows 7, CC 2015.4 and CC 2017.0
    Windows 10, CC 2015.4 and CC 2017.0
    macOS 10.12, CC 2015.4
    even CS6 versions are affected...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
    1. Create an InDesign document with several pages
    2. Define the text frame options with two columns
    3. Link all frames and fill with placeholder text
    4. Create a new paragraph style with the option "span columns" (e.g. title)
    5. Define several parts of the layout with the new paragraph style
    6.…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Identical shapes on different layers end up different sizes when scaled together using the selection tool

1) This bug occurred on InDesign cc2017 and CS6. 2) Follow these steps to replicate the bug: create a shape, let's say a circle, and then copy this circle and paste it in a separate layer directly over the top of the first. To better see the effects of the bug, make the fill of the top circle red, and the bottom blue. At this point, the bottom blue circle is completely hidden by the red circle above it. Now put a 4pt stroke with an outside alignment on the bottom blue circle. The blue circle is still hidden, and…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. [Indesign CC2018] [Os X] Can't move application window when clicking on application name

Users are not able to drag and move the application window when click/drag on the application name, located at the top of the main application window. When click/drag on the left or the right of the application name, moving the window is possible.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. CC library color swatches doesn't work with table cells.

Applying a color from CC library to table cell does not work.

Reproduce:

1. Select a cell in the table
    2. Click on the color from the CC libarry

Expected - cell (fill/stroke switchable by pressing X) is recolored to the clicked color
    Observed - nothing happens.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Anasuiya Gupta responded

Hi Dixy

Thanks for reporting the issue.
    This is a known issue and is currently under review.

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

19. Unable to add Paragraph Styles to Creative Cloud Library, InDesign 2018

Not sure how you can reproduce this as I haven't found anybody else with this problem, but hopefully you can figure out how to help me. I cannot add paragraph styles to the Library, and I have tried every way:"+" button on the panel with text selected, cloud button on the styles panel, dragging from the panel... nothing works. Everything else--including character styles--can be added normally.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    under review  ·  Anasuiya Gupta responded

The issue is due to the Kerning being set as None, if one sets it as Optical or Metrics, it solves the issue. The issue is currently under review.

20. [Indesign CC 2018][BUG] Indesign crashes when using script to remove table row

When using a javascript to remove a table row, Adobe Indesign crashes.
    This happens when a table has only 2 rows. The table contains a header row and your script tries to remove the only body row.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base