Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

117 results found

1. InDesign 15.0 Smart Guides problem on converted files

After the 15.0 update InDesign does not show Smart Guides on files that are saved with the older version of InDesign. New blank documents show Smart Guides as they should but if I open (convert) old file to 15.0 Smart Guides stop working. So when I drag elements they don't snap to each other or center to the page for example.

I'm working on Windows 10.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. error encountered reading image

1. InDesign CC 2019 (14.0)
    2. Import large clipped .psd file (~880 mb) into mechanical
    3. Image placed as requested
    4. Error message received suggesting image is corrupt (note: export of InDesign file as idml and opened in 2018 to import image achieves desired result, suggesting image is not corrupt)
    22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. space before/after paragraph is suddenly not working

when i try to add space before or after a paragraph, it shows up in the tools panel and in style sheets as being there, but it is not reflected in the actual text.

indesign cc 14.0.1

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

In your example, the paragraph ‘Introduction: My Life…’ and ‘Update’ use the same Paragraph Style and the setting ‘Space Between Paragraphs Using Same Style’ is set to 0p0. That’s why the Space After setting of 1p4 is having no effect.
    To make it to work, change the ‘Space Between…’ back to its default setting of ‘Ignore’.
    Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

4. A5 paper size wrong

The paper size for A5 in the presets is technically wrong as it should be 148.5mm wide and not 148mm. You can't change the built-in presets but it would be really helpful to do so as our onward print workflow relies on 148.5mm wide files and it's really annoying to have to change it after it's all been designed if you forget to change the page size at the beginning.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Still not fixed—GREP search fails to find all the matching instances in long documents

An Adobe Indesign CC 2019 (version 14.0.2) file has fewer than 15K characters. A return, followed by the text “ppp”, appears 27 times in the file. They can all be found using the “Text” version of find, searching for “^ppp”. However, using the “GREP” version of find, searching for “\rppp”, only the last one is found. (I am running MacOS Mojave, version 10.14.5 on a MaxBook Pro, retina, 15 inch, mid 2015).

I followed the purported fix found at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/search-issue-in-long-documents.html but with no success.

Indesign files are invalid file types for attaching to this bug post; however I have a…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Proportional Scaling Using Shift Button Not Working

In the 2017.1 release of InDesign, the ability to hold Shift and scale objects proportionally seems to have disappeared. I know for me this is a major functionality problem that is increasing the time I have to spend on current projects. I've checked support forums and others are encountering this problem, but I haven't yet seen a solution.

108 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while; we really appreciate your support!

Our investigation suggests that one of common reasons for the problem is that certain software (mostly antivirus and other security applications) and browser extensions happen to enable “Secure Keyboard Entry” on Mac machines due to which some keys such as Shift key in this case do not perform the desired action in InDesign.

For now I request you to follow the below provided KB doc for the quick workaround of the problem.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/features-do-not-work-keyboard-keys-mac.html

In the comments section many of the users have confirmed that disabling Webroot SecureAnywhere (a security app) has resolved the issue for them. Please note that, the problem may not be related to a particular software; there could be a different application or antivirus which might be causing the problem by enabling Secure Keyboard Entry on Mac.

Regards,
    Abhinav Kaushik
    InDesign Team

7. Export to PDF crashes when Printer's Marks checked on in PDF export window menu (ID 14.02 )

Reoccurring crash from back in February 2019:
    When I leave Printer's Marks unchecked, Indesign exports effortlessly.

Crashing while exporting to PDF happens with any design, regardless of the contents in the design (RGB, .ai files, etc.)

I have tested it on exporting older designs that have already been sent to print with printer's marks, prior to this issue.

Note: checking or unchecking Bleed and Slug don't interfere – only Printer's Marks do.

(I have mailed all details in the crash report.)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. PDF export name

Since the latest updated InDesign doesn't remember the the export name, it just reverts back to the indd's file name. It was super useful when using version numbers.

For example, when exporting from "file.indd" a "file-print (5).pdf", it remembered that name. Now it just goes back to "file.pdf" each time.

Using 14.0.2 x64 on Windows 10.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Table of contents and variables weird behaviour

When some of my titles have Variables in the TOC (variables that I have created) they appear in the TOC incorrectly. My Variable here is a dash date i.e. 2019-2020. At first I used "–" rather than "-" but both ended up with the same result. I've uploaded all screenshots to demonstrate what I'm talking about: The variable with the longer dash, the variable in the heading and the TOC that relates to it. Notice that some TOC's are affected, but not others, so I'm at a loss.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Book/TOC  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Drag or transform creates unwanted duplicate of object

Moving any object (text, image, etc) with either the Move tool or Direct Selection tool creates a duplicate without having any other keys pressed (eg, option/alt).
    Also when repositioning an object with Properties > Transform it also creates a duplicate of the object.

Mac OS 10.14.4
    Indesign 14.0.2.324

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Creating New Hyperlink - doesn’t copy the full selected URL

InDesign CC 13.1
    Mac OS El Capitan 10.11.6

I discovered this lately due to client complaining about URLs not working after export to PDF.

As per my video, I select the full URL in the text box, select New Hyperlink, and the field doesn’t populate with full URL.
    After some testing, the cut off point seems to be random and don’t happen specifically at hyphens or periods.

Whether the URL flows to multiple lines or is on the same line, I get the same result.

What is causing this? This is a big issue since I work on documents that…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Loading icon animation

The spinning icon dots are off-centred and rotate awkwardly. It's only visible briefly, but looks clumsy in a premium app.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Properties Panel snaps closed inconveniently

I must admit, I was not a huge fan of the new properties panel, as I found having the properties at the top of my workspace quick, convenient and more easily accessible. In working with typography I've encountered a few issues with the latest release of CC (working on iMac High Sierra):

1. If I try to open the character panel, there is a lag time with the dreaded rainbow spinning wheel that either takes way to long to load and sometimes crashes the program.

So, to get around that, I've adopted using the properties panel for type changes, which opens…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. reference point

Reference Point moves on objects when one object on page is rotated. Indesign 2019 (14.0.1) If one (or more) objects on a page is rotated, then the reference point on other objects on the page changes as you select through the different objects. This applies to text, picture, and tint boxes. If you try and make the reference point the same on all objects on a page, say the upper left point, then select other objects, they have changed to a different reference point. This makes it very difficult to align objects from page to page.
    Mac OS 10.12.6

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Go back to old method of "space after" paragraphs

I'm fine with the concept of allowing users to adjust the "spacing between paragraphs using same style." But the way this feature was added doesn't make sense: I think you should have left the old "space after" system the way it was, and allowed users to add the "spacing between paragraphs using same style" box as an extra option. The way you set it up (unless I'm misunderstanding something), anyone wanting to put spacing between paragraphs now has to enter data into two boxes, whether they want certain sections to have custom spacing or not. It makes the "spacing between…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. eyedropper not working correctly

That's version 14.0.1.209

When I create a NEW document — there is no problem, the eyedropper working correctly.
    BUT...
    When I work in a document that was previously in an earlier version (for example, CC 2018), then this problem is present.

If I CREATE a new text box in a document that has been re-saved from an earlier version (IC 2018), then the eyedropper will not work correctly.

If I CREATE a new text box in a NEW document (CCP 2019), and then transfer it to an old document, then the eyedropper in the new box will not work.

If…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Page Margins Bug

I am having a bug/issue with margins. In the page setup and the properties dialogues the measurements are showing as the defaults, but clearly they have been changed as noted in the attached file. This file was created in an earlier version of INDD.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The Document Setup shows the Margins of the document when it was created or margins that will be assigned to any new pages you add to the document. However, you can override margins of individual pages by using the Margins and Columns dialog. And this is what has been done for the Page – the Top and Outside margins have been set to 25mm and 45mm respectively (changed from their default setting of 12.7mm).
    Hope this helps.

Adobe InDesign team

18. Keyboard shortcuts to move around Layout not working (listed under Layout Menu)

These page and spread move shortcuts, listed under the Layout Menu, aren't working, making it very laborious to move through my 80 spread layout.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. GREP failure

InDesign 2019 14.0.2 has created a new bug with GREP. If you search for any character, InDesign jumps half way through the file.
    So, for example, if you click the cursor at the start of the document, instead of GREP finding the very first character that you search for, it instead jumps towards the end of the document.
    So, for example, if you do a search for the letter 'a' in GREP, it will miss most of the document out and find the first one towards the end of the document.
    To confirm this, if you do a search and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. InDesign 14.02 NOT PRINTING

Adobe InDesign 14.02

Only prints a solid line at the top of the page.
    No text, diagrams, etc being printed.
    When I try exporting to pdf, views OK on screen, but only blank pages will print.

(Also, when I tried reverting to previous version, got message saying could not be done because file too complex or similar. Will try this option again, because I have GOT TO PRINT my files

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base