Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

255 results found

1. InDesign crashes and content disappears

InDesign sometimes crashes when saving, packaging, or exporting a file. It then corrupts file, removing content (entire text boxes are now empty). This is destroying files and setting me back hours in my workflow.

1. Adobe InDesign 16.0
    2. Save/export/package
    3. Should have stable, usable files
    4. InDesign crashes and corrupts my source file
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Slow performance

Lately InDesign is nearly unusable. Almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects comes with a really slow reaction time. Even when clicking between panels in the toolbar there is a delay of about half a second.

I have tried ruling out potential issues like updating graphic drivers and embedding all resources into the document. Nothing works it seems like the application is just unstable. Please advise, I love to work with indesign but this is overall a very bad user experience.

41 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Customer comments

• InDesign lags when rearranging text boxes, adding image frames, adjusting frames that already exist
    • Selecting an item (e.g. text frame) in small and really uncomplicated documents has slight but very noticeable delays/lags, almost as if the click hangs and makes the item drag a little instead of just being selected.
    • Performance degradation is observed if more than 1 document is opened
    • Creating packages (File > Package) takes so much time – especially collecting image files into the Links-folder. This behavior is generally observed with Illustrator files.
    • Performance degradation is observed while working on indd document and not with the IDML of the indd document.
    • Lag observed for almost every action from selecting objects, resizing objects, or moving objects

Troubleshooting steps tried to resolve issues

• Disable 3rd party plugins - One of the customer has tried with Suitcase Fusion but there was no improvement in the performance.

Workarounds

• Change the…
  3. Hyperlink causing InDesign to crash

I have an issue in a file that I'm working with where if I scroll to a certain point in the hyperlink panel, my entire InDesign program crashes. I've tried deleting all of the hyperlinks one-by-one, and I noticed that it always crashes when I reach the same point (about 2/3rds down the list).

I think there's a hyperlink that's become an issue within the file, and whenever InDesign tries to show that specific one within the hyperlink panel, it crashes.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

• Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference.

ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference.

Not a new problem by the looks of it.
    It doesn't matter whether I type a reference, copy and paste it or highlight text and use shortcut keys. ID always crashes if a symbol is the first thing in the index reference.

however, if 'Sort by' is used and that doesn't start with a symbol it is okay. But this is only 'useful' when that is relevant, which is not always.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Adobe InDesign Team

5. inDesign 2020 removed the zoom view box from the top menu bar

This user is much unhappy that inDesign 2020 no longer provides the zoom view box that appeared in the top menu bar, directly to the right of the help tab. That was a fast, easy way to change the view size of the file in the screen.

I was told by Adobe that this feature was dropped because the screen size view could be achieved by other existing features. Sure... now one must pull down a tab, then go to another command and activate a feature like zoom in and zoom out. And that only shifts the view in or…

11 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The change was made to reduce the UI clutter for the user and it was moved to the bottom left of the screen in the Status bar where other controls like page navigation, preflight profiles, etc. are available.

To continue using this feature, we can suggest a simple workaround which takes less than a minute to accomplish – just open the Keyboard Shortcuts dialog, choose Views, Navigation from the Product Area drop-down, select the ‘Access zoom percentage box’ from the list of commands and assign a shortcut – example, Ctrl-Alt-5. You can customize the keyboard shortcuts as you like and save a new Keyboard Shortcut Set.

Meanwhile, we are reviewing this request.

Adobe InDesign team

6. share for review not working

So first, i made my link and everything went fine. Then after a few times updating it, it started saying that there was an error, and now, there's just nothing that appears in the panel.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Try the following solutions:

SOLUTION 1
    -———
    1. Close InDesign.
    2. Bring up Creative Cloud Desktop (CCD) and Sign out.
    3. Launch InDesign and Sign in here (not from the CCD).
    4. Create a new document.
    5. Open Share for Review panel.

SOLUTION 2
    -——-
    1) Close InDesign.
    2) Close Creative Cloud desktop app.
    3) Navigate to the OOBE folder located here:
    Windows: [System drive]:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Adobe\OOBE
    Mac OS: /Users/[user name]/Library/Application Support/Adobe/OOBE
    4) Delete the opm.db file.
    5) Launch Creative Cloud desktop app.
    6) Launch InDesign

Please let us know if the above solutions work for you.

Adobe InDesign team

7. Crash when placing DOCX with character styles

Steps:
    1. Attempt to place place Word.docx in an InDesign 2020 document.
    2. InDesign spends a long time parsing character styles.
    3. Resaved Word file as .doc file and was able to import it. I don't know what information (if any) in the Word file was lost. This is not an ideal solution.

Link above "How to Submit Crash Report" is dead. I have previously submitted several crash reports through the InDD/system interface.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. When I share to review, weird things happen

I have InDesign 15.1.1 and I've been using the new Share to Review feature often. I've noticed that my text and tables would completely disappear on random pages and the Table of Contents became messed up as well. To make the text reappear, I had to adjust the size of the frame by a pixel or two then it would return. It didn't matter if I made the frame bigger or smaller.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Visibility of levels of embedded AI files are not kept

When I use an AI file with multiple layers, InDesign 2020 (v. 15.1.3) doesn't keep the right visibility of layers when I update the AI file. The same is true when I re-open the InDesign file.

Same for InDesign 2021 (v. 16.0)

Not sure if this also happens with multilayered PSD files, I didn't checked yet.
    Tried to recreate the file from scratch, no way to solve the issue.

The problem never occurred in previous version of InDesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign the issue occurred?
    • Video recording of the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

10. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Absturz InDesign 2021

Bei Eingabe in InDesign 2021 Absturz: 'Union'-W (hängt mit dem einfachen Schlusszeichen und dem Bindestrich zusammen.

Ausrichten von Objekten: Unterkante Objekt an Oberkante nächstes Objekt. Also nicht nur mit Abstand "0"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Bug: InDesign Index page ranges not working when using "Next use of Style" options

Adobe InDesign 2020
    15.0.2 x64

Issue:

I am trying to create index entries that include a page range (such as 26-29) instead of a single page number using paragraph styles.

I am having trouble getting the page ranges for my indexed content to update correctly. Specifically, the index entry always only shows the first page of the range in the index pane on the first attempt.

I can sometimes (but not always) trick it into updating the page range correctly. I attached a video of it finally working after five failed attempts.

Here is what I tried:

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign froze?
    • Video recording of the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Incorrect re-linking of image files with rotation metadata

This bug occurs in all versions of InDesign.

InDesign reflects the EXIF orientation in the transform panel when an image file is placed. However, under the following conditions, the result of relinking will be incorrect.

• The image file is rotated 90 degrees with EXIF orientation.
    • In the transform panel, the vertical and horizontal percentage values are different.

Image files taken with an iPhone often retain the EXIF orientation rotation. If such a file is placed in indd by the client and the vertical and horizontal percentage values are different, there will be a problem that will cause drastic changes in…

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi all,

We tried various scenarios with the attached file and got the following results:

1. Placed the ‘EXIF-Orientation-6.jpg’ file shared in the thread.
    -Rotation angle of the content was shown as -90°

2. Edited the .jpg file in Photoshop to just change the color and Updated the link in InDesign.
    -Rotation angle of the content was changed to 0°

3. Then placed this edited file again, as a new link, in InDesign.
    -Rotation angle was shown as 0°

Are you also seeing the same results?

-InDesign Team

17. Indesign crashes when changing Endnotes to footnotes

I just updated to the 2021 that is really amazing. Only bug i have i can t any more convert endnotes to footnotes InDesign crashes each time on both of my computers . I am on Window 10 No idea why before i could do it. Thanks a lot

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. Different views when switching between preview and normal mode

Strange behavior. I recently switched between preview and normal mode and InDesign showed me an older version of the document.

Most recent MacOS and InDesign Version.

27 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Cannot remove hyperlink from image

For some reason InDesign has no option to remove hyperlink from an image. It took me hours to search for solution until I gave up and deleted the image and recreated it with a new hyperlink. This is pathetic and needs to change. When you right click an image, we should see "Hyperlink" > "Remove Link". This is so basic, its really upsetting to have to post this here.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. [15.0.2.323] Big problem with unrecognized user dictionaries

macOS 10.14.6 - multiple computers with us and with customers

We noticed today that extensive user dictionaries are recognized as such by the existing documents, but InDesign (current version) completely ignores them and thus incorrectly hyphens them.

In a special case, a very extensive user dictionary is linked as a symlink (alias) from the Dropbox into the corresponding Linguistics folder in Application Support / Adobe. So far, this worked wonderfully with all versions and has the advantage that adjustments are automatically distributed correctly via the Dropbox.

I tried the following:
    the symlink resolved and the extensive dictionary (a lot of…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base