Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Autoflow Text is Crashing InDesign

Autoflow text is crashing InDesign. The progress bar gets to about 90% and then it crashes.

The text document is about 50,000 words, so it's nothing unusual.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 2020 moving pages

If I move pages that have hyperlinks from a 2019 ID version (converted), the move crashes ID 2020. The only way to get the move to stop crashing ID 2020 is to delete all the hyperlinks in the source ID doc that was converted from ID 2019.

Version is ID 15.0.1 ... and doing a reboot didn't fix it. I also saved the converted file as IDML to try and remove the "corruption" (that has worked in the past) and the re-constituted INDD file still crashes ID 2020.

If I try to copy and paste a text block with links…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Crash when smart reflowing a document with many anchored text boxes

Indesign is freezing/crashing when smart text reflow is used to reflow the attached document. Other documents are fine. This document is unique in that it contains many anchored text boxes and decimal tabs.

I am using InDesign 15.0.2

To witness the bug, 1) open the attached document, 2) click the red text marked with a note, 3) apply the "bug illustration" paragraph style.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. PDF Export in InDesign CC 2020 (15.0) is broken

As soon as I try to export a PDF (either with File > Export or File > Adobe PDF Presets), the background task starts but hangs at 32% and never completes. When cancelling the task, it never cancels and I need to Force Quit InDesign to cancel it.

Running Catalina with the latest version of InDesign (15.0)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Data merge

Data merge doesn't work with UTF-8 unicode file (CSV or TXT).
    The sheet file aren't embbed to indesign project and can't use data.

It only works with ASCII and SHIFT_JIS but they didn't render well special characters.

Could you please fix this bug please ?
    Best regards

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Crash when scaling text beound 1296 pt

I can repeatably make InDesign crash by:

1: Creating a big page (Mine is 250x100cm)
    2: Making a textframe and writing a short word (I wrote "café")
    3: Hit "E" and scale the frame by dragging the corners
    4: If I scale the frame so the point size is higher than 1296 pt InDesign will crash.

I am on InDesign 15.0.2 on MacOS 10.14.6

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Footnotes disappears

Some footnotes disappeared without reason then appeared back when I changed something in the linked paragraph. InDesign didn't display any kind of warning about this problem.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Part of this issue was fixed with the latest release of InDesign 15.0.1

For all new files created with ID 15.0.1 the issue will not come. For older files opened in ID 15.0.1, you will have to resize, move or do some text editing operation to make the footnote appear

In case you are still facing the issue in new files created post ID 15.0.0 , please share a sample file

Thanks
    amaarora@adobe.com

8. Crash once PDF export complete

InDesign 15.0 seems to crash once a PDF export has completed.

Running Windows 7.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released InDesign 2020.0.1 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

• Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Eyedropper bug — attribute pick-up is glitched by hidden layers above

If there are objects overlapping and above the source for the eyedropper tool, — even if those objects are on a hidden layer — the tool picks up a color of no fill and no stroke.

If the hidden layer is dropped below the target layer, the problem goes away.

These observations are based on original input by Bill Silbert in this User Forum discussion:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/indesign-cc-2020-eyedropper-problem-turning-text-to-no-color/m-p/10765424#M165918

InDesign versions v14 through v15

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Indesign 2020 Crashing when deleting color swatches

Indesign 2020 has been repeatedly crashing when a color swatch (or multiple swatches) in a document are deleted and replaced with an existing swatch. Indesign crashes the moment "ok" is pressed on the "Delete Swatches" popup.

This has been happening since I updated to InDesign 2020, approximately 10 times in the past week, most, but not every, time that I delete swatches. This has happened in multiple documents, regardless of whether it is a single swatch or group of swatches being deleted.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2020.0.1 with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you to upgrade to latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. InDesign 2020 freezes when placing articles with endnotes (big file)

Working with a approximately 500 paged book, 30 articles with endnotes.

Now with 20 articles / 300 pages done, InDesign 2020 freezes when placing new articles.

Please, please, please: fix the issue with a possibility to keep all endnotes in a separate ID-file (linking endnotes to other ID-files)! Because of this, now forced to have the whole, massive book in one ID-file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign freeze?
    • Video recording of the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Bounding box is always on the outside of the stroke

Ever since I updated to the latest InDesign (InDesign 15.0.1), the bounding box is always on the outside of the stroke so instead of objects snapping to the box they are snapping to the outside of the stroke.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 12/05/19 Updates in Indesign

Update on 12/05/19 caused stability issues in Indesign. Since this update, my indesign has been crashing, unresponsive, and about as bad as AI. This program is my workhorse and I need it to function. Documents take about 5-10 minutes to open, even longer to save, and scrolling in multi-page documents is tough because it lags so hard.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Interactive PDF go to destination not working

Using InDesign CC 2019 14.0.1

I have a 24 page report designed for print, with an additional layer which when visible adds interactive buttons to the top left corner of each page so I can also export an interactive PDF. The buttons are:

Go to previous page
    Go to next page
    Go to destination linking to the contents page

The document also contains URL hyperlinks and the contents links to each section of the report using bookmarks, but is not set up as a TOC. I'm not using any functions under the SWF/EPUB only section.

When exported as an interactive…

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Book/Index

Indesign CC 2019 und Indesign CC 2018:
    Absturz beim Generieren des Index bei einem Buch mit vielen Kapiteln.
    Das Buch hat 156 Kapitel (von 1 Seite bis 30 Seiten) - beim Aktualisieren des Index reproduzierbarer Absturz.
    Das Buch hat 822 Seiten.
    Kein Crashreport möglich - der Dialog erscheint nicht (auch nach REG Datei nicht).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Footnotes disappear

v. 15.0.1 x64, Windows

I am working on a multichapter magazine.

Every chapter starts with a title and the author’s name. After the name comes a footnote call.

If I make changes that add or remove a page in a chapter, all the footnotes on the following chapters disappear. They can be recover by removing the asterisk and inserting it again.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Part of this issue was fixed with the latest release of InDesign 15.0.1

For all new files created with ID 15.0.1 the issue will not come. For older files opened in ID 15.0.1, you will have to resize, move or do some text editing operation to make the footnote appear

In case you are still facing the issue in new files created post ID 15.0.0 , please share a sample file

Thanks
    amaarora@adobe.com

18. crash

Very often when trying to save as InDesign is crashing making me lost my un saved work.

I can't attach a file since my computer crash...

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. InDesign crashes when adding Cross-Reference

Adobe InDesign CC 14.0 (Macintosh)

I click Window > Type & Tables > Cross-References. With my cursor in a text box, I click "Create new cross-reference". Sometimes it crashes here; sometimes it opens the dialog.

When it opens the dialog, there is nothing in the Cross-Reference Format dropdown. I can click the pencil and open the Cross-Reference Format dialog and create a new format, but when I click OK the whole program crashes and closes out.

I am not experiencing freezing where I need to force-close -- it closes out completely, immediately.

I created a blank doc and am able…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base