Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign 2019 keeps crashing when I change the document size in the properties panel.

Every time I want to change the document/page size in the properties panel so I can have different page sizes in the document InDesign crashes. Over and over.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-re..)

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

• Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?

Adobe InDesign team

2. Shortkeys causing program to freeze

Hi, I'm using the latest Indesign CC on my windows 10 laptop
    Indesign keeping freezing and doesn't recover when i use any shortcut keys.
    E.g ctrl E to export a PDF will crash the program, so i need to go the long way of file - export etc

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-re..)

• Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us?

Adobe InDesign team

3. windows 10

I am opening InDesign from the start menu but it crashes each time. it will open ok from CC.
    1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server- InDesign CC 2019 14.0
    2. Steps to reproduce the issues – Tried installing oolder versions but seeing the same issue
    3. Expected result – Indesign to open
    4. Actual result – Crash report page appears

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

4. crash launch

I have installed the latest version of Indesign using creative cloud. I used to have CS6 installed and it was no problem then. Now when i try to launch the application it just suddenly shuts down after "starting up panels" is shown.
    No error message. Just stop launching. What to do?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please submit the crash report to us.
    (Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

• Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

5. Not compatible with Win10 1809?

On Windows 10 v1809 trying to start Indesign v14.0.1 - crashes "dll is either not designed to run on windows 10 or it contains an error .... Error 0x000008b ... please contact vendor"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Indesign crashes every time opening in Mojave 10.14.4.

Indesign crashes every time opening in Mojave 10.14.4.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing, nothing works. Is there a fix?

This problem is causing work deadlines to fail.

Is there a way to completely erase all traces of Indesign CC 2019 from my Mac and start fresh?

Here is the crash report attached as a text file.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit it are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    Also, please let us know the following:
    Is the issue limited to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? – If yes, could you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us at sharewithID@adobe.com?​
    - Does trashing InDesign Cache & Preferences help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

8. InDesign 14 opening network files as read-only

We have been using InDesign for a while with files being stored on a network SMB share. on 4/4/19, after a few folks updated to 14.02, the Indesign and Incopy files are primarily only able to be opened as read-only.

Network server permissions have been verified and no other changes have occurred in our environment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please help us with answers to the below queries:

1. OS version of the machine where issue is reproducible.
    2.Are the files opened simultaneously by more than one user?
    3. Does the same file which is opened as Read Only in Id 14.0.2, when opened in Id 14.0.1 opens fine?
    4. Does remounting the SMB drive fixes the issue?

9. reverse layout crash

InDesign CC14.0.1 ME always crashes when using the Reverse Layout option if you click on "yes" when the message "The publication contains frame linked between pages. Would you like to break the link?"

If you click "no" it works OK, but "Yes" crashes. Even happens if there is only one page in the document.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign 2019 — that is 14.0.2 – which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), we recommend you to update to this latest version.

(Guidelines to submit crash are available at https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Also, please send the following information at sharewithID@adobe.com, with the Subject line – Reverse Layout crash:

• If the issue is specific to a document(s)/asset(s), see if you could share the document(s)/asset(s) with us.

Adobe InDesign team

10. ^t

In InDesign, when I use the ^t shortcut to get the type control panel, I lock up and then have to go to Task Manager and close InDesign. (InDesign 14.0.1 x64, Windows 10 Enterprise Version: 1803)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Please submit the crash report to us.

• Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

11. Master pages can't be applied/loaded

Whenever I try to load/apply new master pages to a document, InDesign crashes. I have already rebootet and the same problem still appears. Also tried it on a coworkers computer and the problem is still there.
    New master pages can't be loaded/applied.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

12. Indesign CC2018 crashes on Cmd-V

I'm working on my masters and using a Split Window to copy and paste text from the same document into a list of references. Cmd-V crashes Indesign. With no warning, or hang, it literally shows me the desktop, no save, nothing. Thankfully auto recover sorts it out, but this is something Adobe needs to look at. I can't tell if there is anything special about the text other than it was a web link and had a paragraph style.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Adobe InDesign team

13. Footnotes flows on the following page even if there is still space on the page where is the reference number

Indesign CC 14.0.1
    MAC OS High Sierra 10.13.6

unfortunately it happens very often that the text of the footnotes flows on the following page even if there is still space (several lines) on the page where is the footnote’s reference number.
    for this bug, the result of many jobs is very bad

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Missing Font error after upgrading

After the upgrading to cc 2019 , the older fonts which were installed in machine is giving missing font error, every time i have to sync the fonts. I am using windows 10 standard edition. Here is the screen shot of the error.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Critical : can't sync fonts from Adobe

Critical : can't sync fonts from Adobe :

Hello, just like this guy below :

Help! Unable to activate fonts InDesign 2019

I can't sync fonts on indesign from Adobe Fonts. Nothing works. Tried everything.

Tried syncing them from the Adobe Font website, tried in Indesign, uninstalled all indesign versions, restarted preferences, uninstalled adobe cloud.

tried everything,

Deactivating fonts on adobe font website, reactivating them. Doing the same in the cloud app. No fix.

FONTS HAVING ISSUES : Source Sans pro, Open Sans, League Gothic, Fire Sans , Fire Sans 2.

The error message is : "unable to sync one…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve seen this issue happen when you have the same Font already installed on your machine.

So you may try going to where your Fonts are installed on Windows machine – (Control panel > Fonts) and uninstall/remove the Fonts that you are unable to Sync from Adobe Fonts.

Hopefully, the problem should get resolved.

Adobe InDesign team

16. Indesign CC does not open

Indesign CC 14.0.1 does not open. When I want to open Indesign it shows the loading screen but after that indesign closes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign 2019 — that is 14.0.2 – which contains some stability fixes. If you are not already on 14.0.2 (build 324), we recommend you to update to this latest version.

Does InDesign show a Crash Report dialog after it closes? If yes, please submit the crash report to us.

Also, see if trashing InDesign cache and prefs help resolve the issue.

Adobe InDesign team

17. full swatch list not displaying bug

In the first image, the scroll bar is all the way to the bottom, but it's not showing the rest of the list, when I expand the box (image 2) it displays them... please help/fix?

IndesignCC 13.1 osx high sierra.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for reporting the issue. We need some information around the issue which may help us in narrowing down the root cause:

1. Does it happen with the latest InDesign version 14.0.1 ?
    2. Is it document specific or happens with all the documents?
    3. Does it happen with Swatches panel only or all other panels while expanding ?
    4. Have you added any extra swatches or it happens with the default swatches ?
    5. Please specify your Platform, OS version and InDesign version.

A short video depicting the issue will be very helpful.

18. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

19. Crashes while inserting a new page in between document

Im using Indesign CC 2019 to create a 180 paged book. While trying to insert a new page in between or delete a page, it keeps loading for a very long time (7-8 mins) and then shows a error message sometimes or mostly crashes.
    This problem just started occurring from yesterday. So far the file was fine.
    Kindly help.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign team

20. indesign 2019 crashing upon being opened

as soon as i open indesign 2019, it freezes before i can do anything. i have to force quit, but it it doesn't fix it. it still happens every time. i've resorted back to using indesign 2018.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base