Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Data Merge: Remove blank lines for empty fields no longer works in CC2018

InDesign CC2018 English latest update. Since the update when data merging from a CSV file blank lines are not deleted. Yes, Remove Blank Lines is checked in the options.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Please refer to this article : https://indesignsecrets.com/rid-empty-lines-data-merge.php for more information on how the feature ‘Remove Blank Lines for Empty Fields’ work. Basically, if there are some fields that don’t have data in the CSV file, InDesign will remove the blank line in the merged document that is created. However, if you have an entire record(row) missing in the CSV file, it won’t remove that record in the merged document – you will still see an empty record in the merged document.

2. InDesign CC2018 is not compatible with Nvidia GPU anymore

With NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2 GB and MacOS High Sierra 10.13.3,
    pictures in boxes are going to be greyed, when manipulate the border/box. They are also going to be greyed when moving the content. With CC2017 it works properly. I was in contact with a chat support person already, who can proof this.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

Can you please share screenshot for this issue. And , are you facing this issue for all the documents ?

3. Find Glyph uses character style set in the Text tab

It's not possible to set a character style in the Glyph tab of the Find/Change window. But if you set a character style in the Text tab, the Glyph tab uses that style to limit the search scope.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start a new document, add a character style. (Doesn't matter what formatting you add to the character style.)
    2. Place a text frame and enter 'xx'.
    3. Apply the character style you added in step 1 to the first x.
    4. Set the character style in the Find Format field of the Text tab of the Find/Change window. …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Undo does not work properly on deleted text, it only deletes one character at a time instead of whole block of text

I am on a Mac and this is a problem with InDesign 2018.

If you backspace delete two or more characters from text, undo (Ctrl+Z) only restores one character at a time instead of the whole block that was deleted in that action.

Undo worked fine in previous versions of InDesign, and it works fine in Word and other apps.

I have tried deleting InDesign preferences and caches and even reinstalled it with import previous prefereces unchecked, but the problem remains, and I cannot find any solution. Can someone please help?

Macbook Air now running High Sierra 10.13.2 (but problem…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  3 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Indesign CC 2017 does not accept color management

Hello!
    I work on Mac with high Sierra 10.13.2 with adobe CC 2015, 2017 and 2018.
    I have been working with Adobe for 25 years and therefore know the subject color management settings & synchronization.
    In Photoshop I have a color set made up of ECI RGB and ISOcoated v2 and other parameters such as rel.fartric with TK, etc.

Then I synced with the bridge the suite on this set. Photoshop and AI do not accept this set but InDesign does. The error message comes:

"Some parameters of the color settings file could not be used. The default values ​​are…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thank you for reporting the issue. We need some information around the issue which may help us in narrowing down the root cause:

1. Does it happen with the latest InDesign version 14.0.1 ?
    2. Is it document specific or happens with all the documents?
    3. Does it happen when you switch between Adobe applications in a specific order ?
    4. Please specify your Platform, OS version and InDesign version.

A short video depicting the issue will be very helpful.

6. eyedropper

Eyedropper not working in CC2018 (ME enabled). When I click a blank square then use eyedropper tool to copy color values from an existing vector graphic, the vector graphic container changes color instead. And while testing just now, if I draw two squares, one black one white, then select one to copy the color of the other, the selected square disappears. Text blocks fail to copy too and all eyedropper options are selected. This wasn't an issue with CC17.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi

There are two different issues mentioned here, and let me address them separately:
    1. Clicking a blank square then using eyedropper tool to copy color values from an existing vector graphic, the vector graphic container changes color instead.
    >>> Are you facing this problem with a specific vector graphic or with any graphic as I am unable to reproduce this issue with InDesign CC (13.0.1)? If possible, please share your indd file as a package with anasgupt@adobe.com and a small video demonstrating the issue will be really helpful.

2. If I draw two squares, one black one white, then select one to copy the color of the other, the selected square disappears.
    >>> With InDesign CC (13.0) the transform options have been added to the Eyedropper settings, this includes size and position. It seems that these options for you are checked and when you click on the square to…

7. Fix it!

Footnote symbols at the beginning and at the end of the footnote I can't delete them nor the space that associated with the damn blasted symbol.

It's just a mess. Endnotes footnotes it's a horror show to deal with them. I wasn't before but with this update---truly a horror show.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi,
    Thanks for mentioning this. Do you mean the blue braces at the end and start of endnote text?
    Those are just markers that depict the start and end of endnote text. This will not be printed or exported. helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/endnotes…

To adjust the spaces, please explore and set the Type→Document Endnote options.

Please let us know if this helps you out.

-Aman

8. IndDesign CC2018

When copying an item, it keeps crashing. Just updated to the most recent version of 13.1, still crashes upon copying.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. unable to change font, size, style in Script UI, alignment problem with Image on button

Unable to perform basic features such as changing of text Font, Styles, Sizes in CC's scriptUI.
    Alslo image in button way OFF alignment.

This result in uglier customized UIs than it's older versions.
    As the world population is getting older, the ability to have bigger font size and style is really needed.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. The killing of hard returns in ToC

This is a new feature with version 13 ... but (I think only on WIN machines) that can not be stored with the rest of the settings. After saving and creating a table of contents, the check mark is no longer set.
    regards Frank Muenschke (IDUG Rhein/Ruhr)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  5 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Folder Aliases on Server greyed out

We have here big troubles with export, saving AND and placing in Indesign AND Illustrator.
    Since Update on CC18 and High Sierra, everytime we want to open/save/place a document, all aliases are greyed out. (connection to server)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  1 comment  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Custom PDF presets erased after update to CC 2018

I have several saved PDF presets for different clients. All of them had been deleted after upgrading from CC 2017 to 2018. I first thought they were simply not migrated over, but after opening InDesign CC 2017 I noticed they were gone there also! Only the default presets (High-Quality Print, etc.) were showing up in the drop-down menu. I had to go into my TimeMachine update to restore the files.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Annika

Could you please go to the following location on your system, and check whether your presets are present on your machine or not:
    /Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe PDF/Settings

Also, is there any other Adobe application that is installed on your system, like Illustrator? If yes, could you please check if your presets are shown in those applications or not.

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

13. Delete page crashes InDesign and closes

I am using 2017.1 Release 12.1.0.56
    When I click to delete a page from my document, ID crashes. It is only happening on one particular file. I tried creating a duplicate copy, adding additional pages and deleting multiple pages and still is crashes.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Crash  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Export Tagging: ‘i’ character in class name exports as blank space

I just did the 2018 update, so I think it's the most recent version: 13.0 x64

I have a document template that contains many character and paragraph styles with export CSS tags that contain the lowercase ‘i’ in them. This character is being exported as a blank space, which completely breaks the CSS, like this:
    should be: <p class="bright"></p>
    getting: <p class="br ght"></p>

This problem was easily replicated in a fresh new document, so it’s something with InDesign, rather than my template file.

This workflow involves complex style mapping through to CSS classes. Because so many of the classes contain…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  ePub/HTML/Publish Online  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for sharing the CSS and document. Apparently, I was not able to reproduce the issue, Can you please try to creating new document with few paragraph styles and try exporting the document to HTML and see if the issue is resolved.

15. Microsoft word

bug in program InDesign CC 2018 (?)

Can not import Microsoft Word file in CC 2018 (system Windows 10 Version 1703)

send a screenshot in Czech language

translate screenshot: This file can not be placed. No filter was found for the requested operation

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Need more info  ·  2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. InDesign 2018 and High Sierra cannot export correct looking pdf

pdf will export but it exports a previously saved file. I even tried saving as a new doc and still it exports to the older art.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi

Please provide the following information:
    1. What version of InDesign CC (2018) are you using? Is it 13.0 or 13.0.1? You can verify this in the About box.
    2. What do you mean by “it still exports to the older art”? Do the linked files used older linked graphics or the file itself is exporting to an older version of the file?
    3. Is it specific to a particular file or is happening constantly with all the files?

Also, please share the file with which you are seeing the issue, as a package with all links and fonts, at anasgupt@adobe.com

Regards
    Anasuiya Gupta

17. For some reason my design in indesign is not fully visible when i am working on it, even when i select fast display or high quality display

it is so annoying to be working on my design and not to be able to see all of my work on my screen as so much of it is blank, and is only visible when i export it as a jpeg. THis is so unprofessional and inconsistent when trying to design that i can clearly see all of my work as i edit and improve it. Can you please investigate and improve the software so my work is visible as i continue to edit. Also have the screen is in grey and the other half in white like a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Find Missing Pathfinder

Please restore now Missing Pathfinder in CC 2018
    I teach InDesign and the practicality of Pathfinders in InDesign.
    Now it’s gone missing, no explanation !!
    Disappointed and worried. What is your point ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Graphics/Images/Assets  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. InDesign changing opacity for an unselected item

I am trying to place a slightly opaque rectangle over an image but when I select to lower the opacity on the rectangle, the image (regardless if it's above or below) changes as well.

What's more odd is when I select that photo after I do the action, the image says it is at 100%. The "change" has not been reflected. I have uploaded a 1-2-3 photo demo. Note the photo's slight change in transparency although set at 100%.

This happens when the photo and rectangle are in separate layers, as well. The two items are not placed within each…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Effects/Transparency  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is expected behavior.
    There is something called as Transparency Blend Space in InDesign (see under Edit menu) which is either set to Document RGB or Document CMYK. When you change the Transparency of any element on the page, the RGB or Grayscale Images suddenly change – they become muted. The color space you choose as your transparency blend space will determine a lot about the look of your transparency effects. Everything on a spread is converted to the transparency blend space, regardless of whether that object is actually involved in the effect.

20. Auto-size text boxes with rounded corners expands randomly.

Version 2018, 13.0

Set a text box to auto size height and width (with no line breaks)
    Make the corners rounded
    As you can see in the attached jpgs of before and after, sometimes the box expands in width and sometimes in height, but randomly, not wrapping around the text correctly.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base