Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

254 results found

1. hyperlink

Interactive PDF not exporting hyperlinks correctly

Everytime I export an interactive PDF with hyperlinks, the links have %0D automatically at the end. The hard return code is not in the link in InDesign, I've tried to remove it several times within the working document and Acrobat with no luck. Seems to be a bug.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. gpu performance not working

This literally just started happening today. I have not installed ANY new anything.
    I'm running a new Macbook Pro (sept 2017), with 16g RAM, 2 TB SDD (with plenty of room on it) Graphics processor is Radeon Pro 560 4 GB
    Intel HD Graphics 630 1536 MB, running High Sierra 10.13.1.
    Running latest version of InDesign CC 2018 build 13.0.1
    As of about an hour ago, I can no longer use the animated zoom or GPU performance. Everything on the screen disappears and you can see the rulers moving as I try to zoom in/out or try to scroll pages.…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  Sumit Garg responded

Hi ,

Are you facing this issue for all the document. If yes, can you please send us one of your sample document for analysis. This will help us in isolating the actual root cause.
    If issue is specific to some documents then please share these documents for analysis.

You can send us your packaged document with assets to “sharewithID@adobe.com” email address.

3. background issue PDF

I can not export a DPF file from my InDesign file. I keep getting the message that a background issues has occurred and the PDF can not be saved. HELP!!!!!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Wrong characters exported to PDF.

My InDesign-Document uses 1 font only. After exporting a PDF, some character-combinations are replaced by a special character (see Screenshot). After closing and re-opening the document, the error doesn't appear again and the PDF file is exported normally.

InDesign Mac CC 2018 (13.0.1)
    OS X Sierra 12.12.5
    Monotype Fontexplorer 6.0.3

Thank you all!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of stability fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

5. doesn't recognize new files copied to my hard drive

latest InDesign CC doesn't show new files copied to my hard drive - If I re-name files it shows the old name - no phone no chat no thing!

I can confirm files are there with explorer but when I go FILE OPEN they aren't there - tried copying to other directories - still not there - tried re-booting, closing opening program again all that

0 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

Reproducible Steps –
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

6. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Need More Info  ·  9 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Objects on canvas move down when new page created

Have just noticed that when I create a new page in the middle of a multipage document, objects on the canvas of following pages are all pushed down an extra page - i've screen capped before/after. I tested on two other documents and one other computer and was able to reproduce the issue every time...

Version: 13.0/CC 2018
    Reproduce issue by: Create multipage document with objects on the canvas. Insert pages using pages palette in the middle of the document; watch all your canvas content move down!
    Expected result: for the content to stay on the canvas of the pages…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

Reproducible Steps –
    • Video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

8. Find text and replace doesn't work with this new update!

1. Find text and replace doesn't work with this new update!
    2. I (and many others) have requested that footnotes work in tables - is this ever going to happen?? Please..!
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Can you please add a small video (on WeTransfer/Youtube/Dropbox) and post a link here so that it can be looked into?
    We have tried to reproduce it but unable to do it.
    Also, please try once after clearing your cache and preferences. forums.adobe.com/thread/526990
    -Aman

9. eyedropper

Eyedropper not working in CC2018 (ME enabled). When I click a blank square then use eyedropper tool to copy color values from an existing vector graphic, the vector graphic container changes color instead. And while testing just now, if I draw two squares, one black one white, then select one to copy the color of the other, the selected square disappears. Text blocks fail to copy too and all eyedropper options are selected. This wasn't an issue with CC17.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi

There are two different issues mentioned here, and let me address them separately:
    1. Clicking a blank square then using eyedropper tool to copy color values from an existing vector graphic, the vector graphic container changes color instead.
    >>> Are you facing this problem with a specific vector graphic or with any graphic as I am unable to reproduce this issue with InDesign CC (13.0.1)? If possible, please share your indd file as a package with anasgupt@adobe.com and a small video demonstrating the issue will be really helpful.

2. If I draw two squares, one black one white, then select one to copy the color of the other, the selected square disappears.
    >>> With InDesign CC (13.0) the transform options have been added to the Eyedropper settings, this includes size and position. It seems that these options for you are checked and when you click on the square to…

10. Incompatible with Windows 10, won't even open

My Windows 10 laptop simply will not open InDesign.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Clip to Frame paragraph shading

InDesign 13.0 x64 Windows

Create a paragraph style with paragraph shading, width set to column. Set positive left and right offsets. Enable "Clip to Frame".

Expected result: Shading does not extend beyond frame.
    Actual result: Shading offset is clipped on left frame margin, but clipping is not honored on right frame margin.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue.
    However, the issue is not reproducible by me. Please can you send a small video along with the sample document at amaarora@adobe.com

This will help us identify the cause and fix it.

-Aman

12. pipette does not work in cells of tables

pipette does not work in cells of tables

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Applying Master Page covers Document Pages

Version: InDesign CC
    Steps to Reproduce: Apply the Master page
    Expected Result: Master page would be in the background
    Actual Result: Master page is in the foreground

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

14. Scrolling too slow

Adobe needs to improve scrolling speed. When using the slider, InDesign can't keep up with it.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. InDesign: 2018, newest update erases all user-saved Workspaces

Newest update erases all user-saved Workspaces. Newest update to Photoshop 2018 doesn't...argh.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Others  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hi,
    Can you let us know what happens when you choose Edit→migrate previous local settings?

-Aman

16. Problem with Ctrl+A

When you select a file with more than 500 pages with the command Ctrl + A, (to export RTF) Indesign hangs for many minutes. It did not happen in previous versions. Problem detected in Win10 64bit, the last 2 versions of Indesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

17. Indesign freezing when trying to change leading in style

Indesign CC 2017.1 release

12.1.0.56 64 build
    I am trying to change the leading for a particular style that is used in footnotes and when I attempt the change Indesign simply freezes. At the moment the leading is 9 pt but I want to increase to 11 pt. I don't have this problem with ordinary styles

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Need More Info  ·  2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Locked text and image boxes

Text and image boxes are locked to the page and can't be moved with the mouse, only with the arrow tools

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Need More Info  ·  ansjain responded

Hi all,

Can you please provide some more information to help in reproducing the issue at our end:
    - InDesign version
    - OS
    - Language
    - If document specific, please share a document with me
    - Starts happening after doing some particular steps, please let me know what all things you were performing before this issue happens

Appreciate your help in reproducing this issue.

Thanks
    -Anshul

19. Command + option + drag no longer copies text box

Have used this feature for 20 years and now the double arrow indicating that a box is being copied shows up, but the text box is not actually copied--the box just moves.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is working as it should – that is, duplicating the selected object.

Please update to the latest available version of InDesign (13.1) via Creative Cloud application. Before launching InDesign, delete the Application Preferences and Caches to ensure that any corrupt preferences are not causing this issue to happen.

Please let us know if you still experience this issue.

Thanks,
    Adobe InDesign team

20. Will not apply master other than "Master A"

InDesign 13.0
    Letter size document. When applying a new master to a single or a larger selection of pages or spread, it automatically goes back to "Master A".

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base