Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

176 results found

1. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Crashes while inserting a new page in between document

Im using Indesign CC 2019 to create a 180 paged book. While trying to insert a new page in between or delete a page, it keeps loading for a very long time (7-8 mins) and then shows a error message sometimes or mostly crashes.
    This problem just started occurring from yesterday. So far the file was fine.
    Kindly help.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Indesign 2019 CC crash after relink document

Every time when I try to relink a document in Indesign 2019 CC, the program crashes. I already send several crash reports to Adobe, no respond.

Adobe could you please fix this bug asap? It is very annoying and I can not do my work properly this way.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. crash launch

I have installed the latest version of Indesign using creative cloud. I used to have CS6 installed and it was no problem then. Now when i try to launch the application it just suddenly shuts down after "starting up panels" is shown.
    No error message. Just stop launching. What to do?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Fermeture du logiciel INDESIGN avec l'outil Ligne

Crash with the lign tool and arrow
    Indesign 14.0.1

steps to reproduce the issues :
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15ccJfKeoi1dw3gDSCZ-jcjhNdT9qPkkm?usp=sharing

best regards,

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. InDesign 14.1

Opening InDesign just by itself makes it freeze completely. Ball of death (on Mac) .
    It asks me if I want to start automatic recovery however I can't click on any of the options because the ball of death doesn't let me. The window with the recovery message consequently shows up on top of any other screen.

I could make InDesign work ONCE yesterday after restarting and today it completely crashes again. Unfortunately it also means one of my files is now stuck 'open' which is untimely.
    This is the latest verstion both of InDesign as well as Mac OS.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Assembled files in assignments crash regularly when updated

Assignments in Indesign regularly crash the program when parts need updating This is especially bad when an assigned part has been worked on in the assigned file or if the respective file runs over various pages or if it contains complex .ai-images. As soon as you click on the yellow icon to update a part Indesign crashes again and again. To solve the problem I have deleted certain text files completely from the assembly and reentered them afterwards, which is much more effort and doesn't always work.
    I had this problem before, a few months ago, but lately it has…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Fails with certain Illustrator images

It happened a few times to me that Indesign keeps crashing when certain (complex) .ai images are used - which shouldn't be as I thought Adobe files would perfectly interact with other Adobe programs.
    When these are changed to png images and I am able to open the Indesign file and update them, Indesign works perfectly well again. At times it is not possible at all to open the file or change the image and the file needs to be reacreated.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. InDesign Crash with Outlook

I am working on a Mac (Mojave - 10.14) using InDesign CC 2019. The bug is that when I open InDesign with Outlook already open, InDesign all of a sudden begins eating up memory, at about 1 GB every few seconds, until it reaches about 130 GB then force-quits not only InDesign but Outlook. However, after rebooting, if I first launch InDesign THEN Outlook, this doesn't happen.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Assert after closing InDesign CC 2019 Debug.

After clear installation Adobe InDesign CC 2019 Debug every time when I am closing application I have this Assert dialog box:

Interface kLanguageImpl changed but not marked dirty. First difference occurrs at offset 54

d:\development\siriusr14\source\omlib\session\pmpersist.cpp (1425)

I have only Skip and Debugger buttons. Skip open new dialog box (the same information).

There are no plugins. Only clear install.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Help > About

Going to Help > About to see what version I'm using causes InDesign to freeze and crash.
    InDesign 14.0 x 64
    Windows 10 Pro 1803 OS build 17134.345

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. PDF Export & Text field crash

I have also downloaded Indesign CC 2019 and encounter a lot of bugs. I can't select a color profile for the PDF export and every time I click into a text field while layouting the complete program hangs. Unfortunately, you can't work with the program like this at the moment!

Solution for the problem with the PDF export: Preset PDF export profiles and then select them. So you can bypass the problem a bit. For the second problem I can't find a solution and am very annoyed, because there are also the same probleme with the other programs of CC

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Text wrap on anchored frame causes InDesign to freeze

1. InDesign CC 2018 13.1 on macOS 10.13.6
    2. When placing an object in a text frame, thus creating an anchored object, and then applying to the latter a text wrap method that is different from default (none), either via application ui, script or object style;
    3. Expected to apply the wanted text wrap option;
    4. Application freezes.
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. search all documents

Search / Find "All Documents" opens unrelated docs, causes error crash.

Sometimes, when doing a "find" on "All Documents," InDesign will suddenly open a document (a document that is linked in my current document, but that wasn't open before) that has the looked-for text in it. Attempting to close this unwanted document causes a crash error.

This has been a problem since at least CS6 if not earlier. Shocked to find it in CC.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. incopy workspace bar crash

InCopy CC 13.0.1 and InDesign CC

When clicking on Character, Character style or Paragraph style the program freezes for 20 secs or more, and this bar appears. (See image)

It happens when I open a New file, as well as InDesign linked.

It disappears if I wait, and click to reset workspace. Then it returns.

I have tried reinstalling software (and switching PC off and on again)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. Indesign cc 2018 crash mounted volume on "Save As..."

Environment:
    - Adobe InDesign CC 2018 13.1 (13.1.0.76),
    - MacOS v 10.12.6.
    - Mounted SMB share (Windows Server 2012 R2 full share permissions).

When editing a document on the mounted SMB share, then doing a "Save As...", there's a delay, then pinwheels, then crashes.

Attached are the screen shots of the dialog boxes that occurs as it crashes, plus the Apple crash report.

It does NOT crash on "Save".

It does NOT crash on "Save A Copy..." UNLESS - sometimes you try to save over a pre-existing document. It will complain that the file is open even if it isn't…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Crashing when entering text in paragraph style name field

To get this crash...
    Duplicate an existing Paragraph Style via Panel drop down menu.

Select text in name field.

Type... crashes within the first couple of characters.

Message... Internal Error

Doesn't happen every time, but too often.

Adobe InDesign CC 2018

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. Executing startup services

Latest version of CC2018. Intel 7th Gen i7 PC with 16gb memory and Nvidia GeForce 1050 video card.

All other applications installed and run properly but indesign is stuck on splash screen with Executing startup services... Only way to exit it is to run task manager and kill it.

Removed OOBE and restarted. Logged back into CC. Same issue. Don't want to reset my PC to factory (it's only a couple months old). Thanks Ben

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base