Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

520 results found

1. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Also, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign crashed?
    • Video recording of the crash?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Indesign 16.0 crashes when copying text with anchored object

ID crashes every time I try to copy text that includes an anchored object. As soon as I hit CMD+C, it crashes. I can copy the anchor object separately, but trying to grab it inline with text does not work. I've tried it with multiple different areas of text/objects. This has happened over the last two days, repeatedly, after multiple re-starts and prefs updates. ID 16.0 on MacBook Pro running Catalina 10.15.7.
    EDIT: It seems to be an issue with one specific object. I can't seem to even copy that one by itself without crashing. I'll keep playing around to…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

• Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, could you provide the document(s)/asset(s) to us? Please package the entire document (To package the document, choose File → Package…)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Absturz InDesign 2021

Bei Eingabe in InDesign 2021 Absturz: 'Union'-W (hängt mit dem einfachen Schlusszeichen und dem Bindestrich zusammen.

Ausrichten von Objekten: Unterkante Objekt an Oberkante nächstes Objekt. Also nicht nur mit Abstand "0"

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.
    If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

• Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when InDesign froze?
    • Video recording of the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Indesign crashes when changing Endnotes to footnotes

I just updated to the 2021 that is really amazing. Only bug i have i can t any more convert endnotes to footnotes InDesign crashes each time on both of my computers . I am on Window 10 No idea why before i could do it. Thanks a lot

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. InDesign 2021 (InDesign 16.0) locked when left unattended for an hour.

This was installed for me overnight, and appeared to be running as expected. When I left my computer running for an hour while I ate lunch I came back to find the application locked. When I tried to force it to quit the entire machine locked, and I was required to force it to shut down and restart.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference.

ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference.

Not a new problem by the looks of it.
    It doesn't matter whether I type a reference, copy and paste it or highlight text and use shortcut keys. ID always crashes if a symbol is the first thing in the index reference.

however, if 'Sort by' is used and that doesn't start with a symbol it is okay. But this is only 'useful' when that is relevant, which is not always.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please submit the crash report to us. (Guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html )

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Inline Text Frame beside another inline Text Frame when Auto-Size

• Make Text Frame and write word "Second".
    • Cut the Text Frame.
    • Make larger Text Frame and paste the "Second" Text Frame inside.
    • Select the character represented the Text Frame copy and paste before without any space between.
    • Select the second one change Auto-Size to Height Only.
    • Select the first one and change Auto-Size to Height Only.
    • Crash!
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Crash when placing DOCX with character styles

Steps:
    1. Attempt to place place Word.docx in an InDesign 2020 document.
    2. InDesign spends a long time parsing character styles.
    3. Resaved Word file as .doc file and was able to import it. I don't know what information (if any) in the Word file was lost. This is not an ideal solution.

Link above "How to Submit Crash Report" is dead. I have previously submitted several crash reports through the InDD/system interface.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Crash when continuing to place text from Word

Hello.

When I try to continue to place text from any Word document Indesign crashes. It actually won't crash by "itself", it just stops working.

I have followed the steps you outlined here: https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html#Howtosubmitcrashreports

to submit a crash report. However, since I have to Force quit it I cannot get the report crash dialogue.

MacOSX version: 10.14.6
    Indesign version: Any from 14.0.3 to 15.1.2

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2023(v18.2.1.455) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

13. InDesign Freeze when anchored objects are 'Fit Frame to Content'

Whenever fitting Frame to Content with an anchored object, InDesign freezes and I have to force-quit. This is really annoying, since I work with a lot of anchored objects that include text and need to be resized a lot of times.

Working with InDesign 2020, 15.1.2 on Windows 10

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We will review the bug

-InDesign Team

14. ID freezes when selecting several characters

When trying to select several characters in inDesign 15.1.1.x64 under Windows 10 v1909 Home, the app inevitably freezes up.. This happens when selecting with the mouse as well as when using the arrow keys. So far I couldnʼt find any workaround. I consider this a lethal bug since it makes adequate editing a virtual impossibility. My subscription version is up to date.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2023(v18.2.1.455) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

15. All applications crashing

I cant seem to load any application from adobe cloud, everything just crash.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

InDesign 2020 crashes on launch due to faulty Windows update corrupting the VCRuntime dlls.

Refer to Helpx article to fix the issue https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/crash-on-launch.html#unexpected

Please follow the below steps to resolve the issue
    • Close all the Applications.
    • Go to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features.
    • Right-click Microsoft Visual C++ 2015-2019 (x64)/ 2017-2019 (x64).
    • Click Change > Repair.
    • Restart the system.
    • Relaunch InDesign and check how it works
    • If the issue is still not resolved, Download the latest VCRuntime from https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Atualizar Sumário - Crash - 15.1.1 x64

Ao atualizar o sumário, o Indesign fecha automaticamente.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. ID 15.1.1 is unresponsible after table instert to 90 deg rotated window

ID 15.1.1 is unresponsible after table instert to 90 deg rotated window or if anchored picture is moving between pages. I can send indd file to Adobe if they want.
    Thx...

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

18. Ungespeicherte Dokumente verloren

Weil Adobe der Ansicht war, es müsse mal kurz Indesign neustarten und die Zugangsdaten überprüfen, habe ich gerade zwei ungespeicherte Dokumente verloren! Die Arbeit von acht Stunden!
    Es wurde zwar abgefragt, ob ich speichern will oder nicht, aber diese Frage kam so überraschend, dass ich gar nicht so schnell realisieren konnte, was da eigentlich los ist. Ich habe versucht, den Vorgang mit Esc abzubrechen. Daraufhin wurde Indesign ohne Speichern der geöffneten Dokumente trotzdem geschlossen.
    Hören Sie gefälligst auf, Ihre dämlichen Spielchen auf fremden Computern zu spielen! Sie können nicht einfach ohne Vorwarnung und Begründung ein Programm schließen, mit dem gerade…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Random Crashing of InDesign after sitting idle for long periods of time

InDesign 2020 .1 and following has crashed on my computer a number of times after sitting idle fora long time. I've sent in the crash reports on most of the occurrences of this.

The second thing that isn't working right is that hide application isn't working right on my mac which is operating using Catalina with a late 2012 iMac 27" with 24 gb of ram. The window just goes inactive but hides the desktop and is in full opaque view.

and 3. When I open a file that has been made using a customized workspace, the app uses the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. InDesign crashes when exporting file to jpg

No matter which file I try, when I try to export an InDesign file to jpg, the program crashes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base