Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

520 results found

1. copy multiple text-frames > crash

When I try to copy more then one text-frame InDesign (latest version, Mac, El Capitan) crashes.

Sad to say that this does not happen in every document (but in more than one), so it's hard to find the cause.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Repeatable InDesign Crash with Open Office Data in the Clipboard

I am running InDesign CC, the current version as of March 2018, however I have seen this same bug in older versions of the program. It is not unique to this version.

We use Apache OpenOffice 4.1.0. If there is ANYTHING in the clipboard copied from ANY part of Open Office, it will cause a repeatable InDesign crash. The clipboard data could be text from the OpenOffice Writer program or cell data from the OpenOffice Calc program...it doesn't matter.

With Open Office data in the clipboard, if I attempt to use any of the right-click menus, or choose an item…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Fix of the issue is now available in InDesign’s latest March ’18 update.
    Please upgrade to the latest version InDesign CC 13.1 for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

3. Shared document on server crashing upon opening

I am working with colleagues on a file stored on a shared server. When they try to work on a document that I have worked on (documents that I have changed, not just created), InDesign crashes upon trying to open the file. If they then try to restart InDesign it continues to crash upon starting until they restart their computer. We have both tried updating InDesign and it is still occurring. Thanks!

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. High Sierra 無法開啟 cs3 indesign

無法開啟cs3indesign

安裝了macOS 10.13 High Sierra後。開啟cs3 indesign時。呈現空白對話框。既無法繼續操作也無法結束 . 請問有無解絕的辦法

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. datamerge crashes after updating placeholder

The Crash happened after selecting the word between the data merge tags << WORD >> and then clicking on the placeholder name in the data merge panel. I had to do that to update a datamerge placeholder that lost its link to its source after converting the document back from cc18 to cc17.
    After relinking the data merge document, some of its tags still worked throughout the document and some didnt.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. InDesign crashes while moving pages between 2 documents

when I use the "move pages" command the program stops responding and stops working. I'm from Brazil, and I'm using google translator.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

7. master override

Applied master pages (spread) to all pages which includes a table along page edges for navigation. On a normal page when I attempt to override by Ctrl+Shift click the edge table from the master element to override, Indesign hangs or crashes and prompts a crash report. Only happening on the left side page of the spreads for some reason???

The subsequent launch of the program also crashes, I assume because it attempts to resume. Using the recovered version will not launch either. Must remove recovery data.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per the customer, the issue was specific to a document and rebuilding the master page items solved the issue.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. Error code: 6 - Could not complete your request because of a database error. The file <filename> is damaged

Working off remotely off a server (been doing it this way for years without issue). Today, I tried to open my InDesign file and it only partially loaded (with some linked images missing). Then I get the prompt "Could not complete your request because of a database error. The file "Ebook-3WaysToHoseYourAD-US-GM-32410.indd" is damaged (Error code:6).

What can I do to restore my file?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. InDesign CS 6 - Crashing

hi all,
    I ve permanently problems with crashes in Indesign CS 6 after updating the system on macOS High Sierra 10.13.2 (Preferrences were updated)
    Has anyone an idea for that effect?
    Thanks in advance
    BR
    Sija

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. mac crashes without warning

InDesign CC2018 13.0.1
    mac os High Sierra 10.13.2

My whole laptop restarts spontaneously when I perform a variety of random tasks in my 500 page book file in indesign, e.g. find & replace, opening the file…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue. The crash/protective shutdown is reproducible at our end.

-Aman

12. [Indesign CC 2018][BUG] Indesign crashes when using script to remove table row

When using a javascript to remove a table row, Adobe Indesign crashes.
    This happens when a table has only 2 rows. The table contains a header row and your script tries to remove the only body row.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Indesign 2018 is a disaster, full of bugs and crashes at any time. This was a good program, but now it's just a misery. Costs both time and

Indesign 2018 is a disaster, full of bugs and crashes at any time.
    This was a good program, but now it's just a misery. Costs both time and money.
    I will work with older versions in the future and hope that any new player will find a better software.

It would not be wrong with a phone number on the website, but you're probably ashamed.

Peter

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

We have fixed a number of crashes with InDesign’s latest Nov’18 update.
    Please download the latest InDesign version (InDesign CC 14.0.1) for the fix.

List of crashes and other issues that have been fixed with the update can be found at the below provided link:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud application, click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Regards,
    InDesign Team

14. InDesign CS.5.5 crashes when after closing with MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.2

InDesign CS.5.5 crashes when after closing with MacOS High Sierra version 10.13.2

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Eyedropper in tables (ME indesign 2018) crashing

Using the latest copy of indesign ME and everytime i use the eyedropper tool on a table it immediately crashes

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. IndDesign CC2018

When copying an item, it keeps crashing. Just updated to the most recent version of 13.1, still crashes upon copying.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Adobe InDesign/InCopy cannot be opened because of a problem

InCopy will not launch in macOS 10.11.5 and 10.12.6. This is happening on two different computers, one a 2015 13" MacBook Pro with Retina and one a 2017 MacBook Pro with TouchBar. Have attempted uninstall/reinstalls as well as removing preference files.

I'm attaching the InCopy report from 10.12.6 computer but the 10.11.5 computer is currently off-site. I can add it later if I need to.

I'm also attaching a screenshot of the error message returned by InCopy when I try to launch the application.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Crash on Launch

When launching InDesign and Illustrator 2018, I get the attached alert. Illustrator will always show this alert but does function. InDesign will always show this alert and it opens once. Thereafter it will crash on launch every time until I reinstall it and then I get one launch again and repeated crashes on launch until I reistall. This is on two separate Macs running HIgh Sierra

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. InDesign CC 2018 crashes when copying textbox with anchored object into Photoshop CC 2018 document

InDesign crashes when I copy a textbox with an anchored object from Indesign document into Photoshop document

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Issue is fixed with InDesign’s latest 13.1 update.
    Please upgrade your InDesign for the resolution of the issue.

Thanks,
    Abhinav Kaushik

20. InDesign 12.1.0.56 Mac crashes when launching files from Box.com

Cannot click on file on Box.com or without crashing InDesign. DO not have problem on other computers with older versions of InDesign.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base