Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

522 results found

1. Indesign 15.1.1 crashing when placing an AI file

Indesign 15.1.1 crashes every time when trying to place an AI file of a map that was originally exported from ArcGIS. Maps are complex, but I have never had a problem placing them before this update.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Find/Change crashes InDesign

Find/Change crashes everytime, if i apply say for example find ^^^ and replace with end of paragraph, and i apply on entire document or even say 4 pages, it hangs indefnitely and then I have to kill the process in Task Manager. I t does this everytime. So I am forced to work on each page and I have a 500 page book to format.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. InDesign crashing when you try and copy and paste with GPU turned on

InDesign crashing when you try and copy and paste with GPU turned on. Turned off works normally

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Crash when changing bullet character options

Just updated to the newest InDesign version (as of 28.03.2020).
    Whenever changing the character style on a bullet list, in my case trying to change the character color of the bullet/numbering character (1., 2., 3. ...) , either via paragraph style -> bullet options or directl via character style window, InDesign crashes. The application does not crash when I choose the "Overprint Fill" option.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

5. InDesign "hangs" when exporting to InCopy:

MAC, OS 15.10.3, InDesign 2020:
    Problems exported via InCopy (hangs and hangs and sometimes crashes) YES I have updated InCopy too. InDesign will no longer export IDML files (could this be due to no longer available to open in CS6?)

Unfortunately, I am the only person who has upgraded to Catalina.

Id this an Adobe fix or an Apple OS fix?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. InDesign 2020 hangs, had to Force Quit

Closed a document, leaving InDesign open with no documents open, then tried to quit InDesign. No response. After about a minute, had to Force Quit.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

As confirmed by the customer that upgrading to latest version InDesign CC 15.0.2 the issue is resolved.

If you are unable to see the update, go to Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Thanks,
    InDesign Team

7. InDesign 2020 v15.01 makes corrupt documents when using Alternate Layout

The "Create Alternate Layout" in indesign 2020 v15.01 is toxic.

After using it, chances are high that documents will at some later stage become corrupt. It may manifest itself by crashing on copy/paste or just a spinning beachball of death (Mac).

I have seen this on at least 20 different documents since upgrading from version 2019 to version 2020 (15.0.1). We never used version 15.0.

This is my guess on what happens:
    Using "Create Alternate Layout" it will make some of the Paragraph Styles corrupt. Version 2020 seems to crash (beachball) whenever one of these are accessed. This might very…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. InDesign freezes and then crashes

Version: InDesign 15.0.1 x64
    Issue(s): 1. One example is that when working in InDesign and go to save a file the application shows that the icon is spinning and never seems to stop spinning. Then an error message pops up on the screen indicating some sort of issue and then the application crashes to the desktop.
    2. When opening up a file that I have been working on it takes a while to open and when it does open it opens a prior file that I was working on.
    Expected Results: 1. When saving a file I am expecting the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Crashes on quick apply

My InDesign crashes when I use the quick apply shortcut (command enter).

Computer specs
    Mac Mini (late 2012)
    OS X 10.13.6
    8GB RAM

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

Adobe InDesign Team

11. hangs on export to epub3

I have one file that will not export at all. InDesign hangs every time and I have to force quit. I have tried not including the cover, the fonts, the TOC, in all combinations. I was able to export by opening the IDML in CS6. Mac OS 10.3.6 and InDesign CC 15.1

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Resolved For User  ·  amaarora responded

As confirmed by the customer, the issue was due to hyperlinks inside footnotes in the document. Deleting them resolved the issue.

12. Copying anchored object from one ID doc to another crashes ID 15.0 on WIN 10

An anchored object text frame, with content and formatting copied from one ID Doc to another, will crash ID (15.0 x64 WIN 10). Same action in ID (14.03) works perfectly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Indesign freezes when loading .indd files from server

Every time I try to open a file with .indd extension from our server the program crashes-stops working, therefore I "force quit".
    It starts loading up to the point of the "missing links" notification message (if there are any) and it stops responding-freezes.

Tho when this same file is copied to the desktop it opens just fine.

Why and what is the reason and most importantly what is the solution for this problem?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Applescript Droplet: InDesign 2020 issue

A much used droplet to export one or more InDesign documents to PDF (with dialog and settings) will not work with InDesign 2020 (v15.0.0.155) anymore (fine with InDesign CC 2019). InDesign 2020 opens the first (or the only) document. I can select options in the upcoming dialogue box, but then crashes immediately by clicking OK with an error message (see screenshot).

However, the same base code of the script works directly from InDesign to export the active document to PDF without any problems.

InDesign 2020 may not handle "on open ..." and / or "repeat with ..." in the droplet…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

As per the confirmation received from the customer the issue no longer reproducible in Id 15.0.1.
    We are closing the thread for now.

Thank you,
    InDesign Team

15. InDesign 2009

InDesign 2019 on Windows7 physical device, Not Responding shortly after program launch. Have tried removing Users Local profile folder incase of a corrupt Cache file. Still not working.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. optical margin alignement

The settings for the optical margin alignment are changed after a program crash (InDesign 13.1.1.): Either (more often) the option is deactivated, but occasionally it is also activated. The text will be wrapped completely new accordingly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. [Windows] InDesign/InCopy CC2018 is crashing on document close (icml file with anchored pdf file)

InDesign/InCopy CC2018 have an issue with PDF (and probably AI) files used as anchors in text frames when the Display Performance/Vector Graphics option is set to High Resolution.

Steps to reproduce:
    As I'm unable to attach a zip file in here (why?) here's the link to the example:
    https://adobe.ly/2Uc2pcN

1. Start InDesign/InCopy (with settings/cache cleared)
    2. Menu: Edit -> Preferences -> Display Performance -> Adjust View Settings -> Vector Graphics [set to: High Resolution]
    3. Open "crash-example.idml" file.
    4. Select "Update Links" in the dialog (if asked)
    5. Replace crash-example.icml file with a file found in "replace-file-1" folder
    6. Update Content of the text frame (menu…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference. I tried a dozen times. It used to work in previous versios

ID crashes inserting a symbol as index reference. I tried a dozen times. It used to work in previous versions

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Create outlines in a document with conditional text crashes

I have four InDesign templates created, two use conditional text while the other two do not. I have no problem creating outlines of the document without the conditional text. Every time I try to create outlines of a page in a document with conditional text, I get the endless spinning wheel and have to force quit.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Creating a catalogue with a large table FREEZING in indesign CC 2019

We've been making a large catalogue pricelist for over 13 years using indesign.

We're now stuck on the 2017 (12.1.0) version.
    We want to update it, but in the latest version, importing our pricelist from excel into a table, slows the whole thing down to an unworkable speed.

info:
    the table is around 13000 rows by 10 columns. so not small.
    it does import in the 2017 version. slow to import in both, but can use and work on after import in 2017 version.
    2019, freezes when scroll used, and take 1-3 mins to unfreeze. Scroll again or do anything…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

FIXED  ·  3 comments  ·  Crash/Freeze/Hang  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 8 10 12 26 27
  • Don't see your idea?