Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

176 results found

1. Resize text box crashes InDesign

Resizing a text box crashes InDesign CC 2018.

I need a text box to be larger to (accommodate more text) and every method I've tried to enlarge it crashes InDesign.
    - Drag corner (any corner); crash.
    - Manually input larger width or height; crash.
    - Change text box properties to auto-size based on amount of text...add text; crash.

I NEED to add text to this file TODAY.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Out of Memory when printing to a postscript file indesign 2018

I have large school yearbook with over 500 high res colour photos. Since installing Indesign 2018 when I print to a postscript file to then distill in Acrobat Distiller, I am getting and "Indesign out of Memory" error and the file crashes.

This did not happen on the previous editions of Indesign.

Running on Windows 10 with 16gb RAM and plenty of HDD space

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. InDesign CC 2018 stalls to a spinning beachball right after opening for a brief time

On first opening InDesign in Sierra 10.2.4, after a couple of seconds of not taking any action, InDesign stalls briefly—about 3 to 4 seconds—not allowing any new action during that time. There is just a spinning beachball. I can postpone the beachball by immediately opening a menu; but after mousing away from the menu the beachball comes back. Not sure if it is trying to load something, but I currently don't have any extra extensions installed. I tried resetting preferences and removing all user install scripts, but it still did it. It's consistent every time I open the new version.…

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue and allowing us some time to complete our investigation into the issue.
    As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email and we could come up with the below mentioned findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For the majority of the users the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    3. We also found few cases where the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

Please note that we have created separate threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread has become too generic to serve its purpose effectively. As per your feedback and the outcome of our investigation we have created…

4. 2018 crashes

I am able to get to the point of "do you want to start automatic recovery..i'll hit yes and no...crashes right after that

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. InDesign 12.1.0.56 Mac crashes when launching files from Box.com

Cannot click on file on Box.com or without crashing InDesign. DO not have problem on other computers with older versions of InDesign.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

6. When I move a picture in 12 page publication, it crashes. over and over again.

I have a 12 page newspaper with lots of picture. Now when I move one picture, the program crashes. Every time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Crash after replacing color swatch

With InDesign Server CC 2017, if a document contains table with pictures, removing color swatch and replace it by an other, causes a crash.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. InDesign 2017 file on file server with High Sierra

We have Panzura file servers here and anytime we try to open an InDesign file with CC 2017 it completely crashes any mac that tries to open it, immediate kernel panic with both InDesign and Finder being the cause. So we tried to copy the files to the desktop and open them from there, no dice.

How on earth did Adobe not catch this bug? You guys had 3 months access at least to the dev prereleases like the rest of the software vendors, this is pretty unacceptable.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Cell Style override crash

Crashes when applying and overriding a cell style to a table that has previous overrides. Tried it multiple times on multiple files, all with the same crash result.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. Indesign Crashes when updating any document which uses SkyFonts fonts.(Provided that SkyFont is exited)

Steps:
    SFC Build: 5.9.2.0(Prod build- also from long time before that) 5.9.2.118
    Indesign Build: 2017.1 Release (12.1.0.56 x64 Build)

Steps:
    Launch SkyFonts and Indesign.
    Create a new document in indesign and use some trial fonts which are available in skyfonts.
    Exit the SkyFont client.
    Try to update the document.
    See that Indesign crashes.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Find/Change crashes InDesign

InDesign crashes immediately when attempting to search for words within my established file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. Data Merge causes crash/lock-up when displaying panels on second screen

When displaying my panels on a second monitor using InDesign and then trying to begin a data merge the application crashes and becomes unresponsive.

If I change the layout of the panels to one screen (the default layout) it works fine.

I've uninstalled InDesign and reinstalled, also deleting my preferences folders/files.

I can select the data source and insert one field, but then clicking on anything else after the first field has been inserted causes the application to stop responding.

I've attached a screenshot of the panels on the second screen for your reference - there are no panels on…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. Crash when exporting

Every time I try to export my document to a PDF InDesign 12.1 crashes. I've quit and restarted the software, and restarted my computer. I have no pending updates. I'm not sure why the program crashes every time I try to export. I've tried to go around the issue by packaging the file, exporting directly to PDF, or getting a PDF from a "print" operation, but nothing seems to work. It crashes every time.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. crash

After the opening of the 5° files Indesign Crashes, i have to open a massive number of files. I make a fast check on my PC and the system works with half of the resources available. So i think the problem is not my pc but the program. I have an HPZ240 Tower Workstation. RAM 16GB. Processor Inte(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @4.20GHz and the Hard disk it's an SSD 500gb. The operative sistems it's a Windows 10 pro. The version of the program InDesign build 12.1.0.56 release 2017.1.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. repeatedly opening a template in a loop eventually crashes at app.open

Repeatedly opening and closing a template via extendscript code (for means of batch production) causes InDesign to crash at and only at app.open(PATH).

attached file is a bare bones jsx that opens/closes the accompanying blank template either 100000 times or until it crashes (which it has done within an hour each time I have run it)

Seems to crash anywhere from 40 to 1500 iterations in.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

1 2 5 6 7 9 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base