Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

176 results found

1. Stroke edit crash

I create a line with either the pen tool or the line tool. I select the line and open the properties palette. I select the 'stroke' button and open the stroke palette. I click the 'line end' or 'line beginning' to change the end to an arrow, bullet end, etc. InDesign hangs for a moment and then crashes.
    I have submitted multiple crash reports from the crash window that pops up and have received no response from Adobe. It has been going on for months.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)
    We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. Drive File Stream causing InDesign to crash

InDesign v 14.0.2

We use Drive File Stream for all of our file storing - which has been working great until last week when opening certain files made InDesign crash repeatedly. I have tried to save as an IDML, download locally and still have the crashing problem.

When I go to open the file it will just freeze the application window, no panels visable and just the spinning Mac ball. Force quit and then reopen InDesign - then it freezes again each time upon reopening, before trying to open any files and I have to force quit again. The second…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Paste & Crash: The New Adobe Game

14.0.2.324 CRASH Every. SIngle. Time. I. Paste text from Word (16.26 Mac). What tha what tha????

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. InDesign buffers every 5 seconds

I am on a new MacBook Pro; every other adobe program runs fine, including After Effects. There shroud be no reason why drawing my second text box InDesign makes it borderline crash. Im working off my internal hard drive and it is happening with every InDesign file. I have the display performance set to fast and I have no other programs opened.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

5. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per discussion over email, the crash is being faced in InCopy CC2014 while working with Smart Connection(external plugin).
    We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InCopy 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.
    _
    Adobe InCopy Team

6. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As per discussion over email, the crash is being faced in InCopy CC2014 while working with Smart Connection(external plugin).
    We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InCopy 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.
    _
    Adobe InCopy Team

7. Command W closes all document tabs in order and then crashes InDesign

Using Command W to close a document tab closes all document tabs (in order) before crashing InDesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

8. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

9. storing files on desktop

Not an idea, but a problem...InDesign support is telling me that I need to store my customer's book (a catalog) on my desktop AND all the associated images...that's impossible...there are over 1300 images in this 180 page book.
    ID crashed three consecutive times today trying to open the book to change the dates which appear on the master pages...I'm using the most updated version of creative cloud in a windows 10 environment...
    Any ideas of how to fix this? InDesign seems like a very unstable software to have come from a premier (and premium) software company like Adobe.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

10. CC 2019 crashes on macOS when running SDK plug-in

Specifically, the crashes at code "actionManager->PerformAction(activeContext, kOpenStructureWinActionID)".
    Our code uses that action to show/hide the structure view.
    And the crash also be reproducable in the sample plugin from InDesign SDK.

Only occurs on macOS, Windows do not have the issue.

The steps are:
    1. Compile the plugin "SnippetRunner.sdk.InDesignPlugin" which is in InDesign CC 2019 SDK.
    2. Load it in InDesign.
    3. Create a new blank document
    4. On SnippetRunner[US] panel, select ManipulateStructureView from dropdown list.
    5. Click Go icon, and choose ChangeStructureViewState(toogle)
    6. Click OK button
    7. Crash.

Crash log attached.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. 3 types of consistent crashes during past 3 months

Using version 14.0.2 x64 under Windows 10.

Working on a 356-page book. Three types of crashes occur consistently:

1 - When I export to PDF.
    2 - When I add pages, usually in increments of 10.
    3 - When I switch between single-page layout and 2-page spread layout.

After every crash, when I go to open the file, inDesign offers to auto recover the file. When I say yes, InDesign warns me that the file might be corrupt. I always open anyway. After 3 months working on this book, I can't afford to start over, so I hope for the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

12. InDesign crashes when editing text

21.5" iMac with 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    macOS High Sierra version 10.13.6
    12 GB RAM
    360+ GB of hard disk space

When attempting to copy text from a word document into 28 Mb file in InDesign, InDesign freezes... endless spinning color wheel. Problem is persistent - every time I try to copy a paragraph of text. It even occurred when I tried typing the paragraph of text.

Tried updating InDesign CC
    Tried uninstalling and reinstalling
    Tried using Story Editor to edit text box.

Apple crash report attached.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

13. InCopy crashes while saving document or checking in

InCopy 14.4, MacOS 10.14.4
    InCopy document crashes all the time while saving or checking in a document.
    The document contains a lot of comments and cross references to other documents.
    I have already tried to copy all content into a new document. This does not help.
    I cannot work further on the document, so I need assistance!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. Indesign crashes every time opening in Mojave 10.14.4.

Indesign crashes every time opening in Mojave 10.14.4.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing, nothing works. Is there a fix?

This problem is causing work deadlines to fail.

Is there a way to completely erase all traces of Indesign CC 2019 from my Mac and start fresh?

Here is the crash report attached as a text file.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. Start freeze

When I start InDesign 2019 a pop-up appears that's white. After a while the Adobe logo appears and the loading icon. But that's it. No other menu entries are active
    If I close the pop-up the programm closees

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Indesign CC does not open

Indesign CC 14.0.1 does not open. When I want to open Indesign it shows the loading screen but after that indesign closes.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Slow start opening files or switching between apps

The last Indesign version 14.0.1. on my iMacPro 3,2 GHz Intel Xeon W (Radeon Pro Vega 56) running Mojave (10.14.3) shows the rainbow wheel on every startup and on every time switching apps (via command + tab) takes about 30 seconds - impossible to work!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. InDesign 2019 keeps crashing when I change the document size in the properties panel.

Every time I want to change the document/page size in the properties panel so I can have different page sizes in the document InDesign crashes. Over and over.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. Indesign CS5 Extended crashes while launching

https://pastebin.com/HecDn9ag

I hope someone can help me here, as I couldn't find a solution in other threads. I run CS on Mac OS X 10.9.5. All other programs run fine, except InDesign.

All help is much appreciated!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. windows 10

I am opening InDesign from the start menu but it crashes each time. it will open ok from CC.
    1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server- InDesign CC 2019 14.0
    2. Steps to reproduce the issues – Tried installing oolder versions but seeing the same issue
    3. Expected result – Indesign to open
    4. Actual result – Crash report page appears

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base