Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

517 results found

1. InDesign crashes while closing the application

Nine times out of ten, Mac generates a crash report when closing InDesign CC 2019. InDesign closes fine, but Mac believes it crashed.

Mac Mojave 10.14

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Help > About

Going to Help > About to see what version I'm using causes InDesign to freeze and crash.
    InDesign 14.0 x 64
    Windows 10 Pro 1803 OS build 17134.345

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. PDF Export & Text field crash

I have also downloaded Indesign CC 2019 and encounter a lot of bugs. I can't select a color profile for the PDF export and every time I click into a text field while layouting the complete program hangs. Unfortunately, you can't work with the program like this at the moment!

Solution for the problem with the PDF export: Preset PDF export profiles and then select them. So you can bypass the problem a bit. For the second problem I can't find a solution and am very annoyed, because there are also the same probleme with the other programs of CC

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020.0.1 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Crashes when Placing Docs from Microsoft Word

Since updating to CC2019 I am having constant crashes when placing from Microsoft Word.
    The same documents were not an issue last week when using CC2018, both the same InDesign doc and word doc worked perfectly together.
    Any suggestions as to how I can fix this critical issue - I'm on a business critical deadline, failing to meet it quite literally means the closure of our business.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    This issue is now fixed in the latest update (Id 14.0.1) of InDesign CC.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.
    Do let us know in the comments, if you face any problem with the new update.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

5. InDesign 2019 Fails to open properly and freezes.

I recently updated to InDesign 2019 and had no problem using it last week.
    Today it is not opening properly, taking around 10 minutes to open a file, then freezes the second I try to do anything in a text box.

It has occurred with every file I've tried, multiple times.
    I have also tried ending all InDesign processes and restarting my computer.

Not sure if anyone else has come across this issue?

InDesign CC 2019: v 14.0
    Windows 10: v 1803

43 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

Once the update button is shown against InDesign CC, click on the button to update your InDesign to Id 14.0.1 for the fix of the issue.

List of fixed issues can be found at: helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

Regards,
    InDesign Team

6. content aware fit frame

I just updated to cs2019. Selected the new feature 'content aware fit to frame'. Created a new document and inserted a new frame, tried to place a PDF image, keeps crashing. Turned the feature off and all ok again. Anyone else having this problem?

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

7. workspace

After a crash, no workspaces will load properly, neither pre-existing nor created. Right now I have to move between Essentials Classic and Interactive for PDF just to try to get most of the tools - though some tool I still cannot access. There is no top bar and few tools that load, plus the files when they open are sized tiny and hiding. I have to float in window to get them to appear.

I have tried to reset them and create a new workspace, but cannot get anything to help...

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. InDesign 14.0. freezes after opening

After opening InDesign 14.0 I can open project. But as soon a leave first running screen with InDesign, work on 2nd Screen or even just opening explorer or browse in the internet, InDesign 14.0 is freezing. I cannot even close it. I have to restart the system. In fact I cannot work with it. I have to run 13.1 (2018) to work with ID.
    I am working with Desktop PC and Win10

28 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Regards,
    InDesign Team

9. Problem with changing the cursor to text

Hello. After running the latest version of InDesign CC 2019 v. 14.0, I have a problem with changing the cursor to text. It takes about 50 seconds. This happens each time you launch InDesign.

173 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    FIXED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Regards,
    InDesign Team

10. Version 13.1

Version 13.1 crashes several times a day. For various reasons, ex. try to drag and drop pictures from finder into indesign.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. ID crashes when pasting text

ID becomes very unstable if you copy and paste text from one text box to
    another that contains a paragraph style with a nested line format.
    If it doesn‘t crash immediately, move around the cursor with the arrow keys and try to paste text again.
    Please find attached a document to reproduce this bug

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right corner and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 14.0.3
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

12. InDesign crashes on launch with Faulty module "PMRuntime" unless launched as Administrator or Creative Cloud Application

Issue: InDesign CC will not open from the Start Menu unless "Run as administrator" is selected. This is not an option for standard users.

It will open OK from the Creative Cloud Desktop App.

Event viewer log is generated showing the following:
    Faulting application name: InDesign.exe, version 13.1.0.76
    Faulting module name: PMRuntime.dll, version 5.0.0.191

Version: InDesign CC 2018, 13.1.076
    Also occurs with version 12.1.0.56
    Windows OS: Windows 10, version 1803 (Build 17134.165)

Select InDesign CC from the start menu. The application does not open and no messages appear. Check Event Viewer > Application to see the error.

There…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  Abhinav Kaushik responded

Hello All,

Thank you for patience while we were investigating into the root cause of the issue.
    During our investigation we identified that the issue manifests due to Symentec DLP antivirus software.

Please find below steps to whitelist the application:
    1. From the Enforce console select System > Agents >Application Monitoring.
    2. Select the application to white list. If it is not listed, click on “add application” and provide at least one of the required application binaries.(Refer to Symentec DLP_Console.png for reference)
    Note: DLP attempts to validate every field populated. We recommend using as few as fields as needed. If the whitelist seems to fail, try changing which required field is populated or removing one of the other fields.
    3. Uncheck all of the detection channels under the “Application Monitoring Configuration.”
    4. Click on save and verify the application in the list of monitoring activities is unchecked.
    5. After making…

13. Indesign will start but will not create a new doc or open a previous one.

I am using MacOS 10.13.6 High Sierra and Indesign CC 2018. The program has been working great but suddenly, beginning last night, InDesign will start up but when I go to create a new document nothing happens. I tried to open a document I had made the day before and it would no open either. I uninstalled and reinstalled the program, trashed my preferences, but still not working. I get no warnings or spinning color wheels. What is going on?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. InDesign CS6 Hangs with customized plug-ins

Hello,
    Our company develops InDesign plug-ins as our product. Now we have a hanging problem when dealing with one InDesign document. The problem happens on both Windows and macOS.
    According to the log collected on Mac, InDesign CS6 hangs at com.adobe.InDesign.Text. We cannot find a way to fix it so far. This problem stopped us to support our customers.

Could you please have a check why the hanging happens?

We made a simple document to reproduce the problem. The plug-ins inside "InDesign-CS6-Windows-Plugins" are used to make InDesign CS6 open the document without crash.
    The detail steps are:
    1. On Windows,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Crash in InCopy corrupts InDesign file

File crashed when writer and designer were making single story InCopy edits back and forth. They made single story edits with no problem, but then tried to export a selection of 12 stories (all on 1 page) by selecting all 12 stories and exporting selection. When the writer opened InCopy to edit the page, it crashed every time she scrolled to that page.

The InDesign file then became corrupt and would crash immediately upon opening. Was able to save a version of the original file with a new name, but various text (on placed library items) is missing on the…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

16. Text wrap on anchored frame causes InDesign to freeze

1. InDesign CC 2018 13.1 on macOS 10.13.6
    2. When placing an object in a text frame, thus creating an anchored object, and then applying to the latter a text wrap method that is different from default (none), either via application ui, script or object style;
    3. Expected to apply the wanted text wrap option;
    4. Application freezes.
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. new document preview crash

I'm crashing in the 2018 version of ID in the New Document dialog whenever I make changes to the margins with the Preview checkbox checked. This happens each and every time, consistently.

This occurs in both the new, New Document dialog format (Preview checkbox added in 2018) as well as the Legacy dialog format (enabled with General Preferences setting).

This does not occur in the 2017 CC version of ID. (Legacy dialog only — no Preview checkbox in the new format.)

This does not occur when changing any other page attribute, including page size, slug, and bleed; only Margin.

Testing:…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. search all documents

Search / Find "All Documents" opens unrelated docs, causes error crash.

Sometimes, when doing a "find" on "All Documents," InDesign will suddenly open a document (a document that is linked in my current document, but that wasn't open before) that has the looked-for text in it. Attempting to close this unwanted document causes a crash error.

This has been a problem since at least CS6 if not earlier. Shocked to find it in CC.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

19. incopy workspace bar crash

InCopy CC 13.0.1 and InDesign CC

When clicking on Character, Character style or Paragraph style the program freezes for 20 secs or more, and this bar appears. (See image)

It happens when I open a New file, as well as InDesign linked.

It disappears if I wait, and click to reset workspace. Then it returns.

I have tried reinstalling software (and switching PC off and on again)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

20. InDesign crashes when highlighting open Acrobat comment text

This is a wild one that has happened multiple times now. InDesign will crash on my machine in the following specific circumstance:
    1) I have a text box selected in a file that I want to copy text into,
    2) I navigate to an ultimately unconnected PDF in Acrobat that has text I want to copy from,
    3) the PDF has an open comment box with currently highlighted text,
    4) I try to highlight other text within the comment box in order to copy that instead,
    5) and InDesign crashes hard (closes completely).

In case it matters, InDesign crashes before…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base