Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

520 results found

1. Quick apply crashes Indesign with Page Tool selected

Indesign 2020 - 15.0.3 (macOS Mojave 10.14.6)
    1. Select page with Page Tool
    2. Trying to execute Quick Apply (via keyboard shortcut or clicking on icon) --> Indesign crash
    3. If page is NOT selected everything is OK

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. freezing

I use InDesign 15.0.2 on Win 10 and it constantly freezes / crashes. Or on and off complains that certain Adobe fonts are missing. Opening and closing the file restores the fonts.
    E.g. when I open my file and try to change a stroke color InDesign freezes.
    InDesign is basically useless.

Hope you can give me a solution to fix this.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

3. Crash when changing bullet character options

Just updated to the newest InDesign version (as of 28.03.2020).
    Whenever changing the character style on a bullet list, in my case trying to change the character color of the bullet/numbering character (1., 2., 3. ...) , either via paragraph style -> bullet options or directl via character style window, InDesign crashes. The application does not crash when I choose the "Overprint Fill" option.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received an email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding: Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) as it is more robust and contains a lot of bug fixes.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Export PDF crashes InDesign

Tried to export a PDF (smallest file size) with links & bookmarks active. Once I click the Export button, InDesign crashes.

InDesign 14.0.3 running on Catalina OS.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Crashes on opening document created in indd 2019

Crashed as soon as I opened a document from 2019. After several tries, I was able to open the same document successfully, but it didn't recognize fonts in the Document fonts folder. It didn't matter whether it was opened from within InDesign or from the Finder. The successful attempt was from the Finder.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Freeze after using default New Hyperlink to URL

(I didn't see a category for Freeze. I figure Crash is pretty close.)

In InDesign 15.0.3 on Windows 10:

I had just finished inserting a hyperlink by selecting Chess.com, bringing up the New Hyperlink panel (with the 'To URL' option up), and pressing Enter.
    After waiting 15 minutes, it was still hung.
    It was the only app running.
    When I right-clicked on the InDesign icon on the taskbar and clicked 'Close window', a dialog box popped up saying, "Save changes to the Adobe InDesign document "16 - Glossary.indd" before closing?
    I clicked 'Yes'.
    It closed that dialog box and popped…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

7. Opening Files InDesgin Freezes

Adobe InDesign CC 2020 15.0.01 Mac

Trying to open a file that was packaged in Indesign CC 2018, When opening Indesign Freezes and does nothing.

Expected result: opening a file correctly with minor delay
    Actual Result: Indesign just freezes.

NOTE: in the video an other file that i tried to open earlier but after force quiting the file opens as an Untitled file.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

8. 14.0.3 Crashes and wipes all preferences (17th October 2019)

On closing a document on a mac (using the red dot) inDesign suddenly crashes. When I re-open it, all my preferences have been reset to default - including the animated tool tips returning.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) with a lot of stability fixes. We recommend you upgrade to the latest version (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com:

• Quit InDesign and create a backup of Preference and cache. Relaunch InDesign to observe if the preferences have been reset.
    • Next time when you encounter a crash, create a backup of Preference and cache prior to InDesign launch. If the issue is encountered, send the back up of preference and cache to the above mail ID

Adobe InDesign Team

9. Crash: "Keep Lines Together" (All) and disabled "Allow Split Footnotes" crashes InDesign if there are footnotes in a table

100% reproducible on InDesign 15.0.2 on Windows 10.
    Sample document for easy reproduction: https://www.dropbox.com/s/iirawdsvd27l95l/indesign%20crash.indd?dl=1

Starting point:
    1. I have a table containing some footnotes.
    2. Footnotes are not allowed to be split.
    3. The table (including footnotes) doesn't fit in the frame, so the last row jumps to the next frame.

To crash InDesign:
    1. Place the text marker in the paragraph containing the table.
    2. Go to Keep Options.
    3. Check "Keep Lines Togheter" and "All Lines in Paragraph".

Result: InDesign immediately hangs and you have to force quit.

Please fix? Should be easy to track down the internal…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are reviewing it

-InDesign Team

10. Indesign crashes after copying text

Indesign crashes immediately after copying text. It seems that this only happens with formatted text. If I separate the text box from the paragraph format, I can copy the text. But that is very time consuming and annoying. When I open Indesign again, it crashes immediately. And when I finally managed to open the file again and click on "Paragraph format" in the sidebar, Indesign freezes. The bug has occurred since the last 2-3 versions of Indesign and I hope that the bug will be fixed with every new one. Unfortunately, this did not happen.

Indesign 15.0.2
    MacOS: 10.15.3

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Extensions isn't working on the last Indesign versions

Using Indesign 2019 or 2020 on the MacOS, trying to install any extension, opening the menu Window > Extensions > Selecting an extension: nothing happens.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are reviewing it.

-InDesign Team

12. InDesign freezes while Adding New/Editing Cross-References

1. InDesign 13.1 x64 2a. Select the text, go to Insert Cross References either via Type > Hyperlinks & Cross References or via the Cross References Panel. 2b. Select text that already has a cross reference, go to Cross-Reference Options either via Type > Hyperlinks and Cross References of the Cross References panel.
    2. The New Cross-Reference or Edit Cross-Reference dialog box should open and function.
    3. InDesign freezes and has to be force quit. I've waited as long as 20 minutes for the system to function properly before having to force it to quit.
    6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. InDesign freezes and then crashes

Version: InDesign 15.0.1 x64
    Issue(s): 1. One example is that when working in InDesign and go to save a file the application shows that the icon is spinning and never seems to stop spinning. Then an error message pops up on the screen indicating some sort of issue and then the application crashes to the desktop.
    2. When opening up a file that I have been working on it takes a while to open and when it does open it opens a prior file that I was working on.
    Expected Results: 1. When saving a file I am expecting the…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

14. eye dropper causes crash

Eyedropper using within the color selection screen causes crash everytime.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it). It contains a lot of stability fixes.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, please submit the crash report to us. (The guidelines to submit crash are available at (https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/submit-crash-reports.html)

Adobe InDesign Team

15. InDesign "hangs" when exporting to InCopy:

MAC, OS 15.10.3, InDesign 2020:
    Problems exported via InCopy (hangs and hangs and sometimes crashes) YES I have updated InCopy too. InDesign will no longer export IDML files (could this be due to no longer available to open in CS6?)

Unfortunately, I am the only person who has upgraded to Catalina.

Id this an Adobe fix or an Apple OS fix?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. InDesign Suffers Major Performance Issues When InCopy Files Are Linked To .indd File

I use InDesign a lot for production art. Mostly I layout text and images for product manuals that range between 110 - 250 pages. It runs like a champ on both my Dell XPS 8930 and iMac 2019. Both machines are robust with 32 Gb of ram. However, once I convert text and graphics to InCopy files, I see a huge drop in machine performance. Doing the slightest things like updating the ICMA / ICML file will hang or crash InDesign. Even saving the file can take 2 minutes. I've had 3 instances where the InDesign file got corrupted from…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

17. Crash when generating Table of Contents

Right what it says on the tin: When I try to generate a Table of Contents from a large Book file (about 14 chapters, maybe 180ish pages total) , InDesign abruptly crashes.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Adobe InDesign Team

18. Crashes when font file is moved *every single time*

This will crash InDesign (and Illustrator and Photoshop) every single time without fail, all cc 2020 apps I've tested, specifically:

InDesign 15.0.2, Illustrator 24.1, Photoshop 21.1.2

I'm using OSX 10.15.3 Catalina

Try this:

–add a font to ~user/Library/Fonts/MyFontFolderName/ to install. Works with any font, but for example try Adobe's own wonderfully designed Source Serif Pro
    –make a new document in InDesign, set some text in that font, eg: Source Serif Pro-Regular, save document (or don't save, same result)
    –move the font file, eg: SourceSerifPro-Regular.otf to a sub folder, eg: ~user/Library/Fonts/MyFontFolderName/AnotherFolder/
    –app will crash EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Once again, this happens…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Closed: Fixed  ·  amaarora responded

This has been fixed in latest version of InDesign. Please update your application from Creative Cloud Desktop.

Thanks

19. InDesign 15.0.2 won't open

The new 15.0.2 version on a Mac will continue to bounce and not open. The splash screen doesn't show and the app will not respond. I have let the app try to open for an extended period of time, but after 10 minutes of just bouncing and not opening, the app has to be force quit.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Resolved For User  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    As confirmed by the user, The issue is resolved.
    The issue was related to few bad fonts housed within the system fonts folder..

Regards
    InDesign Team

20. hangs on export to epub3

I have one file that will not export at all. InDesign hangs every time and I have to force quit. I have tried not including the cover, the fonts, the TOC, in all combinations. I was able to export by opening the IDML in CS6. Mac OS 10.3.6 and InDesign CC 15.1

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Resolved For User  ·  amaarora responded

As confirmed by the customer, the issue was due to hyperlinks inside footnotes in the document. Deleting them resolved the issue.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base