Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

855 results found

1. I want to add the comment PDF file to the PDF Comments panel in Indesign by drag-and-drop.

I want to add the comment PDF file to the PDF Comments panel in Indesign by drag-and-drop.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. incopy

CC 2023 InCopy galley and story view is all jumbled letters

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Key Inputs being duplicated.

Just started today, but one on longer document, key inputs keep repeating sporadically. Selecting with arrow keys will select two characters instead of one, pasting will paste twice, moving between pages will jump two pages instead of one.

Running MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 on 2014 15" MBP 16gb, so I'm not sure if it's a hardware issue or not.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Searching for specific tracking values in ID 2022

Our in-house typesetting rules stipulate a certain range of acceptable tracking values, e.g. from 1 to 15 and -1 to -15. In order to ensure that we don't veer outside of those ranges, we need to be able to search our files for specific tracking values. While searching for specific values within those ranges in ID 2022, we noticed that searches for tracking from 1 to 8 and -1 to -8 produced hits, but searches for 9 to -9 tracking and above (10 to 15 and -10 to -15) resulted in no hits despite paragraphs being tracked at those values.…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. workspace issues with 2023

Every time I open (or create) a new document in Indesign 18.0 x64, I get automatically taken to the touch worksapce (which is never what I want). Then, when I click on the correct workspace, it also opens this weird "structure" thing. Even if I close it and resave the workspace, it'll open it again the next time I open a document. This is extremely frustrating.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Placed illustrator files keep showing as modified

When I place illustrator files in Indesign they show as modified even when closed from illustrator. I update and within a minute it shows as modified again. Very annoying. This is a new behavior on M1 mac studios, Monterey, working from a Mac file server which worked as expected previously with Intel imacs. Please fix ASAP. Thanks

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Locked Files in InDesign 16 (CC2021) + MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) + special Character Filenames on SMB Share

When opening Files with special characters (german umlauts like äöü) on a SMB Network Share with MacOS 10.14 + InDesign 16 (sometimes on 2nd try) I get a "Document can't be opened, permission problem or already opened" (translated by me).

When downgrading to InDesign 15 or Upgrading to a newer OSX the problem is gone. But I am bound to that Versions because of hardwarecompatibility, so it would be nice to have a fix for that.

I can see, that InDesign 15 on Mojave and InDesign 16 on newer MacOS Versions is creating a lockfile, but InDesign 16 + Mojave…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Can't click through InDesign to desktop or other app + InDesign list panels tilt

When I click on panel boxes to adjust values like font size, transparency, color tone etc, InDesign list panels (swatches, fonts etc) tilt and list elements slip away from mouse selection like they were magnetic.
    Can't exit from InDesign window (mouse click to desktop or other apps doesn't work). Functionality can be restored only by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Canc and then Esc.

InDesign version: 16.4.2 (and earlier versions)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. missing menu

Having some issues with my menus in Indesign 17.3 / MacOS 12.5.1
    A few of them have been showing up blank and I haven't been able to find a fix, and working off the top menu bar in the meantime is very tedious. Any suggestions welcome.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. large file freezes indesign 2022

newly installed indesign 2022, while opening a small file opens correctly, but while trying to open a large file freezes with no response. happened on to laptops, works great on a stationary. HELP

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. InDesign steals focus in Windows 10 - again (2022)

If you switch to another application, while InDesign is launching, InDesign will steal the focus back, even repeatedly if you are quick enough to switch to the other application more than once, and/or have a slow computer (e.g. battery saver mode while opening a large document may exaggerate the problem).

I'm fairly certain that this irritating behaviour was gone from late 2017, since the earlier bug report (https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/31913773-indesign-steals-focus-in-windows-10) was closed after lack of activity (3 years old) in 2021, and the old thread on the forum https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/how-to-prevent-adobe-software-stealing-focus-in-windows-10-locked/td-p/7773884/page/5 was active until late 2017. At Nov 17th 2017 users edvardkrupke…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Rulers exceeding text boundaries, only paragraph shading or offsets seem to be able to limit them

The issue is described in this thread (sample .INDD file link included in the thread to reproduce the issue):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/can-all-column-rules-height-be-re-adjusted-at-once-after-changing-the-copy-text-font-size/m-p/13139262#M488618

The excess rulers that go beyond the text boundary can only be removed (or masked, not sure which is actually happening) with paragraph shading.

As a rule, rulers should not go beyond the text boundary, and they should adapt to the text boundary (if font size have been changed, or if other changes have been made that affect the layout).

But the green arrows show that in some cases the boundary is correct.

It shouldn't be necessary to add both…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Rulers exceeding text boundaries, only paragraph shading or offsets seem to be able to limit them

The issue is described in this thread (sample .INDD file link included in the thread to reproduce the issue):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/can-all-column-rules-height-be-re-adjusted-at-once-after-changing-the-copy-text-font-size/m-p/13139262#M488618

The excess rulers that go beyond the text boundary can only be removed (or masked, not sure which is actually happening) with paragraph shading.

As a rule, rulers should not go beyond the text boundary, and they should adapt to the text boundary (if font size have been changed, or if other changes have been made that affect the layout).

But the green arrows show that in some cases the boundary is correct.

It shouldn't be necessary to add both…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 17.4 x64 Popup Survey Spam

17.4 x64 When using InDesign, popup: "thnk u 4 using share 4 review; take a survey." Not sharing, advised by Manan Joshi: is bug, file bug accordingly, Now More surveys. Please stop.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. 17.4 hangs opening files

Updated to 17.4 to benefit from purported improvement on ID hang on files with missing fonts. Now opening any file causes a hang.

ID 17.4
    OS 12.5.1

Console posts "nwsockethandlesocketevent <private> Socket SO_ERROR [61: Connection refused]" message for ID (where it joins the steady stream of error messages for Illustrator)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. InDesign Window Moves Slightly Offscreen (So I Can't Adjust Window Size) When Plugged Into External QHD Display

I'm using a 14" M1 Pro Macbook Pro, and when plugging into an external display (QHD), Indesign's top window moves slightly offscreen (see attached picture). Goes away when I unplug the display, but quite annoying to have to remember to resize the window before plugging it into a display since I can't resize the window another way without that top bar accessible.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Crash after sleep mode external drive OS X - lost network vonnection (Indesign only!)

After getting awake from sleep mode Indesign will constantly (and only Indesign!) crash because of a lost network connection!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base