Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

859 results found

1. Page(s) in InDesign moving back and forth; Pasteboard not accessible

InDesign 2023 v 18.0 Page(s) in a document will move back and forth, especially after CTRL Zero short cut key stroke is used. The movement is constant and doesn’t stop without changing the zoom percentage each time.
    In addition, InDesign is not allowing me to view work on something on the pasteboard. It moves the document back over and I can’t access the elements I was working on, on the pasteboard. I can change the View to “Entire Pasteboard”, but if I zoom in too far InDesign does the same thing… moves the document back over and I can’t access…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Paragraph values not appearing – SOLUTION

Paragraph values not showing in panel when text is selected.

SOLUTION I use is to hide options then show options which resets panel, rather than quit and restart InDesign or reboot Mac.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. InDesign '23 interface is not dual-monitor friendly! I am running macOS Monterey 12.4 on a MacBook M1 Pro.

Please update Adobe InDesign to be a more self-contained, movable workspace instead of anchoring the app to a single monitor (namely, my small laptop monitor). I am able to move tool windows and a file window over to my larger screen, but everything opens back on my laptop screen and I have to adjust all over again, unlike with Illustrator or Photoshop. It also maintains a dark gray 'background' over my laptop screen so it's VERY difficult to multitask. I noticed that this became an issue with a recent update PRIOR to the release of InDesign 2023. I am running…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Pages navigation jumping two pages at a time

I've got a strange bug on a 100 single pages document. Sometimes (twice this week) when I'm using the shortcut Fn-option-up/down arrow to jump to the next page, inDesign will jump 2 pages at a time.

It will behave like this until I double click on a page in the pages panel.

Weird and annoying, but not sure I can reproduce.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. High CPU usage

High CPU usage on Win 10 (Asus NB) since version 17. Still remains (after many updates, 17.3 included). Not usable software.

So I'm using version 16, and there is no problem with CPU.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. indesign gets stuck in opening a document without the fonts

The software gets stuck in opening a document without the fonts!!! till the Missing font window will appear
    That's crazy!
    I just want to check an old file or look for a detail and I HAVE TO WAIT A MINUTE and Meanwhile all the documents are STUCK!!
    WHY??

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. InDesign 18.0 keeps hanging when hyperlinks panel is open (checking links)

In InDesign 18.0 on Windows 10:
    When I have a document open that has a lot of hyperlinks in the text and the Hyperlinks Panel is open, InDesign becomes unusable, because it constantly keeps checking the validity of the hyperlinks as a foreground process. So it keeps hanging and on the spinning blue circle. As soon as I manage to close the Hyperlinks Panel the problem dissapears, but sometimes I actually need to use the hyperlinks panel, and then the problem is back again. It becomes almost impossible to do/click/select anything in InDesign at that moment. This needs to be…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. hand tool stuck after sleep

Almost always after computer screen sleep, InDesign is stuck with hand tool selected. Switching tool appears to work (changing in the panel), but cursor is still showing (and working) as the hand tool. Works after restarting Indesign. Sometimes it also resolves itself after a while, if I go working in other apps.
    The problem has been present for several versions of both InDesign and macOS, so it's not a recently appeared problem.
    Data: MacOS Ventura 13.0.1, iMac 5K 2017 4.2GHz QuadCore i7 + 27' Apple Studio Display

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. No multicore, no gpu support this is RIDICULOUS

Okay hear me out, I know for a fact this has been brought up I know.

However in 2022 a multinational company doesn't support multicore and gpu performance for windows this is just insane, it's the biggest F U to the community.
    How I'm supposed to work on anything if my performance is garbage with VERY FEW OBJECTS, now you might say ah yes just press typical performance or fast perfomance if your pc is struggling. I have a proper pc (i9 9900k, 32gb ram, rtx 2080) really if this gear STRUGGLES with TEXT editing I'm speachless, for the sake…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. text lag is severe in 17.3 compared to slight lag in 17.2

Mac OS 12.5, Indesign 17.3

anything that makes text reflow: Text edits, style changes, text wrap around an object lag severely in 17.3. The more text the longer the lag. Can be multiple seconds on a single page doc up to just crashing on an edit to a 50+ page doc when reflowing text.

I have reverted to 17.2 their is still a little lag but only a second or 2.

The forum interfacer won't let me upload indesign format files so I cannot provide test files. Email me if you need them.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. InDesign 23 has screwed my comp.. Can't even open file explorer tabs. Lost access to all work

After attempting to export a PDF from InDesign with 'Full screen' opening, it crashed and closed InDesign and ever since I have no access to any of my files.

Everytime I try to open a folder (even ones that have nothing to do with Adobe CC or programs etc.) it just freezes and crashes. So now I can't access anything on my PC. I've uninstalled & reinstalled, reset preferences on boot, saved as idml and re-saved, reset the computer.. Nothing is working.

So not only am I unable to work today because of this (which means lost money) I imagine…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Very slow screen response with Mac OS Monterey

Since upgrading to an Apple Silicon Mac running Monterey OS with a Dell 4K screen, Indesign has become sluggish when scrolling through documents, especially those with placed images.

Also, if I highlight text and make a change to the formatting (make it Bold, for instance, or apply a different paragraph format) the change does not appear until I deselect the text. It will show up correctly before I deselect the text sometimes, but more often than not it doesn't.

InDesign version 18.0 with the latest updates.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Cannot open certain files

I recently installed InDesign 2023. Now I can't open a lot of files through DropBox. InDesign simply does nothing (no error code or spinning wheel, etc., just... nothing). So far the only fix is to download it to my hard drive, but since these are team documents that isn't a good solution. Help?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Windows Warning Beep

UPDATE: I've narrowed down the problem to the Exclamation Program Event in Windows Sound. With that set to (None), the beeping no longer occurs.

When I go into inDesign, I go to any window and I hear Windows warning beeps non-stop, like I'm doing something inDesign doesn't like. If I go into Pages or Layers, they cause no issue. If I go into Preferences or Margins and Columns, then I get the beeping.

I am using Windows 10 with the latest updates.
    I haven't used inDesign within the last few months, and it wasn't do it then. I used the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Indesign and Illustrator latest version unusable

I’m very angry because the latest version of indesign (17.3) is virtually unusable. If I select an image or text box on a layout I get a spinning wheel for 10 - 15 seconds. If I try to move something - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Even Adobe Illustrator 26.4 behave this way.

I downgraded to indesign 16.4.2 and Illustrator 25.4.6 because I cannot work this way. Previous versions did not behave this way on this same condition and computer.

These are the comments to your workarounds:

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Menu/panel bugs

Indesign 2022 v17.4 (up to date with latest version)
    Upon opening indesign, resetting menus and preferences, restarting, etc. Issues have been ongoing for at least a week.

Align menu items are offset so that the ones at the bottom can't be used.
    Paragraph and character menu fields are offset, can't be selected or edited and randomly cause indesign to crash and close completely when clicked.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Keep scroll position in Pages Panel

In Pages Panel I scroll to a position so I can select a small range of pages (both ends of selection is visible in the Panel), I switch focus to another document, afterwards when return to edit the original document the Pages Panel scroll position is not where I left it, it is scrolled away so only the first page of my selection is visible at the bottom.
    Please leave Pages scroll where it was when refocusing to a document.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Menu drop down

My drop down menus do not work, they will open after double clicking and holding down on second click, but any secondary menus will not open. I'm using Mac OS Monterey 12.4, and InDesign 17.3.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. multiple versions of files from book open upon "converting"

1. Opened book (.indb) file saved in previous version of InDesign.
    2. Double-clicked all the individual files to open them up in InDesign which is a new version (18.0 x64). A warning appeared saying the files will need to be converted if I renumber, etc.
    3. I used the book file to open all the files and immediately resaved them to update them.
    4. I made edits to one of the files from the book, and saved.
    5. Colleagues came on and I used the Book file to bounce between the different document files.
    6. To quickly save out all my changes, I simply close InDesign…
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Rulers exceeding text boundaries, only paragraph shading or offsets seem to be able to limit them

The issue is described in this thread (sample .INDD file link included in the thread to reproduce the issue):

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/can-all-column-rules-height-be-re-adjusted-at-once-after-changing-the-copy-text-font-size/m-p/13139262#M488618

The excess rulers that go beyond the text boundary can only be removed (or masked, not sure which is actually happening) with paragraph shading.

As a rule, rulers should not go beyond the text boundary, and they should adapt to the text boundary (if font size have been changed, or if other changes have been made that affect the layout).

But the green arrows show that in some cases the boundary is correct.

It shouldn't be necessary to add both…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
1 2 6 8 10 42 43
  • Don't see your idea?