Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

855 results found

1. Cross-Reference won't save a <cs style="stylename"></cs> format. It just strips the tag out of the data.

Before updating to the latest version of ID, I would get an error each time I tried to use the <cs> tag to format a cross-reference. It wouldn't let me save the data.

Now it lets me save the data, but it just strips the tag out.

I have a character setting called Bold.

I defined a cross-reference format as:
    <cs style="Bold"><fullPara /></cs> on page <pageNum />

I save it, and I click OK. Then I reopen the format page, and it says the following:
    <fullPara /> on page <pageNum />

It's like the tag never existed. No matter what…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. spell check

Spell check highlights correctly spelled words. Dictionary set to English USA but suggesting non english USA words.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. [Limited Undo] InDesign CC 2019 (v14.0) strg+z / cmd+z doesn't work properly

With the new Version the option to go back some steps seems to be cut at some point. I have been working on a couple of files now and going steps back with strg+z works for 2-3 steps. Somehow random but definitely not the way it used to work.

64 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Edit:
    Hello All,
    We acknowledge those comments where some of us have mentioned that the issue is still not fixed; we are already working on it.
    Please note that, in the earlier release we had fixed few cases which were leading to the issue.
    There are still few scenarios which are yet to be investigated and fixed.
    Unfortunately, this particular thread has become too generic.
    We request you to provide your comments in below provided new thread. Please do mention your observation while submitting the comment. It will help us in our ongoing investigation.

https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38991835-undo-not-working-properly-in-indd-2020

Hello All,

Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you are unable to see the update yet, go to Creative Cloud desktop application, open the menu…

4. InDesign ability to handle large files with many images / better rendering

Today in InDesign with large files (e.g. 320 pages, 400 images, many images 10MB JPEGs), presentation mode becomes bogged down with rendering the images and is unusable. Furthermore, using the page view large–jumbo sized views is very slow. On my 5k iMac, I can see that the CPU, the GPU, and the RAM are all available, so there is compute power to be had. Thus the feature request is to enable InDesign to use more HW and/or to have a way to store fully rendered images in a cache.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Poor performance with placed InDesign documents

When placing a really large dimensioned InDesign document into a smaller document the performance of that smaller document is crippled to the point where it becomes unusable, especially when there are many placed InDesign documents.

To test:
    Create 4 different InDesign documents that are 3600 x 2580mm in size.
    Create an A4 booklet with 4 pages.
    Place a different one of the larger InDesign documents on each page of the A4 booklet.
    Try and navigate from the first page to the last page of the A4 document.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. InDesign 2020

InDesign is shutting down my palettes. So everytime i close out a document, my pallette set up disappears. Every. Time. I have to set up my pallettes every time and it is super frustrating. Is there a way (that I don't know) to keep my pallettes set up the way i want all the time? Also I am not touching tab, either.

Also, why is there not a mobile InDesign App for ipad?

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. When working over VNC, often Tools cannot be chosen

When I connect to my Mac over macOS-VNC, I can use everything as needed. Unfortunately sometimes Indesign shows the hand and lets me use only the hand to move the page, although I clicked the Arrow e.g. and it is selected. I the cannot select Text, change sizes of boxes etc. The only remedy is to reconnect via VNC, but not every time that works. I do not have this with any other program than indesign, so I am starting my journey of finding the root of this here.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Document slowdown when fonts not activated

When fonts aren't activated in an InDesign document, InDesign CC2019 slows down and is practically unusable unless you activate most or all of the fonts used in the document. This wasn't the case in previous versions of InDesign, when you could deactivate fonts intentionally in order to troubleshoot files. In long form documents that may use multiple fonts, this was an especially useful tool.

As InDesign documents are frequently separated from their fonts, especially when using font managers instead of Document fonts, this slowdown becomes a burden when checking files in larger workflows and inhibits font troubleshooting. Could the behavior…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. character size

Hello,
    I have an issue with the size of some panel. For example, the "paragraph" one and the "character" one are oversized, they are too long and I can't reach the end or even redimensionized it. How can I fix that?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Print upside down after rotated the image

I rotated three images on three different pages. When I printed out the document, those three pages were printed upside down! Not just from inDesign, I exported as pdf file and printed through Acrobat, the same thing happened. They look perfectly fine on screen. Also, if I deleted those rotated images, everything was fine, no upside down pages.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. InDesign CC 2020 lagging between actions

Upgraded from InDesign 2019 and now I have an annoying lagging issue between actions like zooming, page scrolling, selecting objects, etc. Searched and many seem to be experiencing the same thing. I did everything mentioned... deleted, reinstalled, deleted cache, deleted preferences, etc with no luck. I'm on a late 2015 mac using Catalina.

I Reinstalled 14.0.3 and and there is no lag on that version and works great. Seems to be only in v 15.0.x

FYI, I temporarily resolved the lag issue in v15.0.1 by disconnecting the computer from the internet and work offline. Doing so resolved the lag issue…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Indesign causes screen to enter a strobe flicker effect and no choice but to shut down

Sometimes when I drag a text box to a different position the screen starts to flicker then goes crazy - like a strobe effect. It's applied to all software that's open and there is no choice but to have a frenzied time trying to shut down applications and saving work before the screen either goes completely blank or white. There is no choice but to restrt the imac.

It happened around 5 times in the space of an hour and then won't happen for weeks.

iMac - Intel Core i7 - 4 GHz - Memory 32 GB - AMD Radeon…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. InDesign doesn't display files or any kind of Interface I can work with.

InDesign doesn't display the files I want to work on.
    InDesign Version I use is 14.0.2
    Steps to reproduce:
    Open InDesign by clicking on the app icon or double click an InDesign file, none works.
    Expected result: To see the file I want to open and be able to work on it.
    Actual result: InDesign window seems hidden and doesn't display my file which means I can't edit it.
    I tried to clear preferences & cache but there's no InDesign file in the cache folder.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. story editor cursor block cursor disappears

InDesign 15.0.2 on OS X 10.14.6 on a MacBook Pro with an external display.

Go into Preferences and set the story editor cursor to "block," the fattest size.

Put the cursor toward the righthand side of a longer line, and use the arrow keys to navigate the cursor up and down.

The cursor should stay visible at the end of the line, as the default cursor does.

Instead, when the cursor is at the end of the line, it disappears, making editing and navigation by arrow keys difficult.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. InDesign CC 2019, GPU enablement on Mac

InDesign CC 2019 14.0
    macOS Mojave 10.14
    Mac Pro 5.1 (mid 2012)
    SAPPHIRE Radeon PULSE RX 580 8GB GDDR5

Photoshop CC GPU Performance - ok
    Illustrator CC GPU Performance - ok
    InDesign CC... GPU incompatible???
    In addition, there are icon discolorations (only InDesign). Sometimes this effect occurs, sometimes not. The color of discoloration can be different.

44 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Based on our investigation we have categorized the issue that are being reported on this thread into three types:

1. Users having compatible GPU and monitor configuration but still not able to use GPU rendering.

2. Users having Incompatible GPU and monitor configuration. Please refer following link that have all the details system requirement for GPU rendering.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/in/indesign/using/gpu_performance.html

3. MacPro, Mac mini OR “working on MacBooks with screen down” and using Hidpi monitors with display scale factor one.
    This has been identified as bug and we have fixed it in the latest version of InDesign, Id 14.0.3
    Please update your InDesign to the latest version to try out the fix

Note:
    Since , this thread is mainly being tracked only for enable-ment of GPU functionality
    Please report drawing related issue via other reported threads or new threads.

18. InDesign typekit fonts and sometimes activation does not work when network connectivity is lost

I work during commute and travel on my laptop and the past few versions have not been able to utilize typekit fonts without internet connection.

Issues often persist even after reconnecting. There are many errors that arise when network switches status.

This makes me unable to adjust layouts since there is no way to know the space taken up by the font. This has also cost me hours in slow tech support from adobe. Hours of lost productivity because of this bug that has been unbelievably overlooked.

If there is anything else I can do to help fix this for…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Live-Linking Word Document

Since updating to 14.0.3 the live linking function for text documents no longer works.

Since updating to 14.0.3 if I place a word document into my Indesign Document and ensure that the link text setting is turned on in file handline it places the word document but is unable to update the file when changes are made in word. It won't even allow for manual updating and you have to re-place the document every time you make an update. This means our project is going to take a lot longer to finish as we have to re-map our paragraph styles…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Extension not working in Adobe Indesign 2019 and later

Using Indesign 2019 or 2020 on the MacOS, trying to install any extension, opening the menu Window > Extensions > Selecting an extension<name>: nothing happens. and it doent launch extension.

I have below configuration in my Mainfest.xml

Version=11.0,99.0

CSXS Version=9.0 

I have provided self signed certificate for my extension and installing the signed extension via zxp installer

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base