Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

859 results found

1. Buttons and bookmarks doesn't work properly

Some work fine in the same page! I´ve had try changing the file name, re-done every text box, replace text and bookmarked its again, but nothing happens.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Spinning Ball Every Couple of Keystrokes

I get the spinning ball every few seconds with InDesign - extremely frustrating! I've tried everything suggested in the community forums.

I'm running a brand new MacBook Pro (16" 2020 with 2.3GHz/Radeon Pro 5500M/32GB/2TB), with Catalina 10.15.6 and InDesign CC 15.1.2. I've used this MBP for LESS THAN A WEEK, and have NO preferences established-it's super clean right now.

So frustratingly slow! Spinning ball every couple of keystrokes. Productivity killed.

I tried everything people have recommended in the community forum including dumping preferences; turning off GPU Performance; changing color preferences to Apple RGB; I have no 3rd party applications running;…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. 15.1.1 Fonts in Document fonts folder not recognized when first opening documents

Certain fonts in the Document fonts folder fail to activate when first opening a document, but WILL activate upon a 2nd or 3rd attempt.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Effects Pallet is constantly disappearing from InDesign

I don't know why, often after a restart of InDesign and sometimes while I'm using it the Effects Pallet disappears and no matter how many times I use the Windows> Effects menu item and it's shortcut Cmd + Shift + F10 I will not appear. It also isn't in the sidebars. I end up having to go through a bunch of preset workspaces until it turns up and then rebuild the workspace.

Big waste of my time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. I've lost all save, save as, anything in the file menu. Nothing works. I can't close or save or export.

Opening another thread because this is not solved despite them closing the other thread.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Problem with New File/PDF comments/Main windows: nothing there visable

ID 15.1.1, Win10

In this windows I see nothing, only the black window, one can see in the attachments:

New File: no possibility to choose anything

PDF Comments Window. Although the comments are visable in main text, I cannot accept them in PDF comments windows, because I don't see them there.

The main InDesign window: when no file is opened, I see only black flat, no icons of previously opened files, as it was normally...

Help me, please :)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Slow

Ever since these latest updates to InDesign, the performance is slow even with Display Performance set to Fast. I looked through the RAM and made sure no other settings were making it lag. I've uninstalled and reinstalled with no difference in performance. There shouldn't be a need to update InDesign so frequently, I've used Adobe products for over 10 years and these updates are making the usability go backwards.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. CMD+O (Open File) STILL Doesn't Work in 15.0.3 on first launching InDesign

This still hasn't been fixed!! When first opening InDesign 15.0.3 CMD+O just gives a 'dead key' beep, and it doesn't bring up the 'Open File' dialog. You must use the MENU to open the first file. After you have opened a file from the MENU, the CMD+O will then work. PLEASE FIX, for us long-time users this is painfully annoying! I have reported this in previous releases.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are reviewing it

-InDesign Team

9. Type Tool Deselecting Itself

Pressing T on the keyboard makes the type tool activate, but only for a second before it switches back to the previous tool.

Running Indesign 15.0.2, so this issue was not fixed as stated in a previous thread.
    Running Mac OS 10.13.6

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. TYPO IN POLISH LANGUAGE VERSION

There's a typo in polish language version (marked on the picture).
    It should be "powiel" not "powile".

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Scrolling with mouse wheel

While using mouse wheel on InDesign 15.1 to scroll down to pages, chunks of my artwork overlap even setting everything to the lowest display performance possible. This only happens with the mouse wheel, works fine using the hand tool.

No issues with previous InDesign versions.

My setup: OS 10.15.5 on Mac Mini Late 2014, 2.6 Ghz, Dual-Core Intel Core i5, 8GB memory, Intel Iris 1536MB, 500GB SSD

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Hi, I have recently started using InDesign for our Digital Magazine. This is only our second issue and there seems to be rendering issues o

Hi, I have recently started using InDesign (latest Version) for our Digital Magazine. This is only our second issue and there seems to be rendering issues on IOS 8+ devices, particularly mobile. Some of the Text is missing or bits of clipped text appears. Two of our clients have come back to us. Have you any ideas how to sort this problem? We publish the magazine through Issuu. I have attached a screen shot of one of the articles a client sent to me, it is missing the headline and some text throughout.

Any advice most welcome as we are…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Type Tool Deactivates Itself

v15.0.3
    When selecting the Type Tool by using the keyboard shortcut (T), it briefly activates, then deactivates itself and the previous tool selected is made active again. I am unable to use the type tool in the brief period of time it is made active. I can select it successfully by clicking on the icon on the sidebar.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. InDesign lock file corrupted when computer sleeps

InDesign lock file is corrupted if computer sleeps with an open document with pending changes. App instructs to close the app and try again. When InDesign starts and you try to open last opened file, App states that I don't have permission or the file may already be opened. All you can do is copy the file, but all pending changes have been lost. Cannot delete the lock file in order to access original file. This is a continuing problem. (Surface Book, Win 10 2004 release)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Increase the size (thickness) of the ruler guides

Hi,

Give the possibility to increase the size (thickness) of the ruler guides (all the time / when hovering over the ruler guides or using a shortcuts). This would be present in the software preferences. It's not always easy to see them well. Thanks.

Bye.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. InDesign Stalls when Network Volume Disconnected

Whenever I have a linked/placed file on a shared network volume (Mac) and I disconnect from that volume InDesign stalls, it doesn't crash, it does usually recover but takes several minutes. This is even if the ID file containing the linked item has been closed. I think this could be fixed.
    Current Mac OS, Current ID.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. In InDesign CC 2019 slow Reaction Time on clicking from one object to another.

Using InDesign CC 14.0 on Windows 10. I have an magazine layout with text and picture boxes, of course. When clicking from one box to another, there is a long delay, a temporary freeze. Eventually (20-30 seconds) it awakens and I can move on. But it's happening more frequently, even after a reboot.

Is this an issue of my computer talking to Adobe servers?

Nothing to screen shot, there is no message.

110 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Following up on the comments stating that the issue is yet not fixed, we did our investigation and found that, the issues being called out in the comment section, though maybe relevant but are different than the one for which this thread was originally created.

This particular thread caters to a very specific case which has been fixed in the last update of InDesign.

If you continue to face performance related issues with InDesign, we sincerely request you to create a separate thread so that we can categorize the performance related issues and address them completely.
    In addition to track the performance issues effectively, it will also enable us to reach out to you in a organised manner when we investigate into each category of performance issues.

We are extremely sorry for the troubles you are facing with InDesign and we are determined to resolve them as efficiently…

18. Modifier keys for transform not working

Transforming a selection normally can be influenced by holding down Shift and/or Command to respectively Constrain Rroportions and choose to Scale from center.

But in InDesign 2020 on Mac OS Catalina this stopped working. Maybe due to a system setting (no antivirus is active at the moment).

Does anyone know how to get back this essential functionality?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. convert newer version

When I tried to convert newer version indd files 15.1 ver to 13.1.1. Even I signed in my Adobe account it still says the file can't be convert since I'm not signed in my account.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. egnyte

1. 15.1.1x64
    2. I'm having InDesign issues recovering 2 proposal documents I was working on. When I went to save it I got this message and when I went to the folder the file was gone and only showing as a locked file. (please see attachments). Then when I tried opening InDesign back up it gave me this message. It's not letting me open it even when trying to open it from my desktop. (please see attachments.)
    3. Successful save and successful opening of files.
    4. Unable to save and recover document successfully.
    5. See attachment.

Please keep Lucas Culbertson, IT guy, lculbertson@brasfieldgorrie.com in the…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base