Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. new version switches back to older version

I use InDesign for our school newsletter. I'm having issues with it switching from 2017 version to 2018 on any given day. This could be a department issue or could it be the program. Very frustrated with it at the moment. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. gridify when placing images

In Version CC2019 (14.0) the gridify function misbehaves when placing images.
    With the gutter-dimension changed for 1 spread the gridify function keeps the same spacing as with the other pages. For drawn shapes using the gridify-function everything acts normal. MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Allow for updating text thread when rearranging pages.

Allow for a more efficient way to rearrange pages and page content once page layouts have been created. Currently, rearranging pages breaks numbered lists and moving text within story editor breaks the visual layout.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Problem aligning workspace elements on second screen 14.0.1

Working on a second screen with my MacBook Pro laptop, elements of the workspace are not moveable. Please see image to understand the moveable points on those tabs appear to be off-screen and are not on the laptop either. I've tried numerous workspaces, but this problem persists.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. InDesign is very slow

The latest version is virtually unusable. If I select an image or text box on a layout I get a spinning wheel for 10 - 15 seconds. If I try to move something - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Try to save a document - spinning wheel 10-15 seconds. Previous versions did not behave this way on this same computer. No other applications behave this way.

My Mac is a late 2012 model, 32Gb RAM, 2 SSD drives; one for the OS / Applications and one for the customer files. GeForce video card (came with the computer with 1Gb RAM.

I…

84 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

52 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

6. cross-references bug introduced with 2018.1 update

The 2018.1 "search" added to cross-references is great and will be very helpful. Unfortunately it appears that a bug was introduced in the process of adding this feature.

When you double-click on a cross-reference in the Cross-References panel, it opens the Edit Cross References window. This used to open the window to the cross-reference you selected so you could edit it. Now, it opens the window at [All Paragraphs] with the first paragraph in this list selected.

This is a MESS for my workflow, as I now have to search through the cross-references to find and select the one I…

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Major lagging/hanging when typing text and selecting objects

InDesign 14.0.1; Windows 10

I was experiencing some major lag when typing text, up to 30 seconds. Even when text started to appear, words would appear only one letter at a time with significant delay in between. The problem then expanded to selecting and moving objects around on a page. InDesign for me has been unusable for the past few hours (Jan. 25, 2019 from 1:30 - 4:30pm EST). I even tried reverting back to version 14.0 and had no luck. Rebooted several times. I then went into my system restore and saw that earlier today a Microsoft Visual C++…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. InDesign performance issue: New document window gives blank screen

Latest version of InDesign supplied by Creative Cloud installer on 64-bit Windows 10 PC.

Steps to reproduce:
    1. File - New Document.
    2. Bingo...

Expected result:
    A useful window with options to create a new document.

Actual result:
    A useless blank screen (see attached screenshot).

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hello All,
    Thank you for reporting the issue to us.
    We have fixed the issue in the latest version of InDesign, Id 15.0

Please upgrade your InDesign application to the latest version to try out the fix.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.

You may also follow the below given link for the list of all fixed issues in Id 15.0
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

-InDesign Team

9. tool

When working with Indesign CC2018 and still in CC2019 on Mac. I can't use the Toolbox/bar on my second monitor connected to my MacBook. When the Toolbox is placed/locked on to the left hand side of the screen, the submenus of all tools (Type, Pen, Pencil etc.) don't open on my secondary monitor, but semi randomly are placed on the display of my MacBook. the only way to "fix" this is to place the Toolbox on the MacBook's display, but that's not the way to go about it...
    It has something to do with different resolutions of the two screens,…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. locked objects

InDesign CC 2019 14.01, iMac OSx 10.13.6

Serious lag (+10 seconds) and inability to move or edit objects occurs whenever there are locked objects in the layout. I was able to select (after a long delay) but not move or edit a simple text+shape group while I had background and secondary elements locked. Once those were unlocked, the app started to work again as normal.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Content Aware Constantly Crashes

Windows 10 - i7 6700 with a Nvidia Quadro graphics card, and 16gb RAM.

Layout images in a spread and some dummy text.
    Select image and press teh Content aware fit button
    InDesign crashes

Expected result
    Image fits with no crashing

Actual result
    InDesign crashes everytime

It's a newly created document.

Images are stored on server - thought this was the problem - moved all images to desktop - still crashes.

Saved the file to IDML and opened that and resaved it.

Reset the preferences

Shut down/End Task of all non-essential programms, including anti-virus.

CC2019 build 14.0

File attached (embedded…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Step and repeat Bug

Step and repeat is not working correctly.

If you have an object, whilst holding option, drag the object to a new position and release, the object is duplicated. This works correctly. If i then select Duplicate from the Edit menu, it should repeat the the last duplication. It does not! It uses the last step and repeat measurement. This is a bug.

This is using indesign 2019.

The bug is not in indesign 2018, it works correctly here

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Resolved For the User  ·  2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Color Managment plugin (CS6)

Upon getting the new Apple update for the MacOS Mojave (version 10.14.2) Most of my programs from my Adobe Creative Suite Master Collection, including, but not limited to Indesign CS6 are no longer supported, do to the Update not running anything less the 64-Bit (intel).
    The message that comes up is in the attached file
    It follows with a contact the App company for further support.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. InDesign is very slow when all or most of the fonts in the document are missing

This problem occured for the first time already in the 14.0 version and version 14.0.1 didn't fix the problem. When all the fonts or most of the fonts are missing in the document, scrolling between spreads is very, very slow. InDesign freezes for few seconds when scrolling from spread to another (see the attached video file). Please let me know if you need more details.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. can't move elements

I could not move an element on a page (happens to be a circle, with a stroke applied to it). I tried creating a new circle with the ellipse tool and copying the attributes with the eye dropper tool; this too I could not move. I tried creating a new circle and applying the attributes manually; again, this too I could not move.

I must say, I am REALLY not impressed with this latest "update" to inDesign. The amount of bizarre behavior by the software is making my work a struggle lately.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Bug - Indesign loses almost all settings when crashing

When InDesign crashes (harder than usual) it loses almost all personal settings.
    Example:
    Saved document presets
    Some shortcut bindings

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. No Panels at Start

Many times CC apps start with no panels at all or panels which won't expand when clicked.

Also happens in Photoshop, Illustrator in my experience and on different machines (Mac Pro at home, different iMacs at the office).

Has been going on for many iterations of CC apps.

macOS High Sierra 13.13.3 / CC 2018 InDesign 13.0.1

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. spinning ball every minute

InDesign CC 13.1
    When using InDesign, doesn't matter which file, or file size, every minute on the minute I encounter a spinning ball for 10 seconds.

I use InDesign for a majority of my work, so there is almost an hour of work time lost each day.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Hello All,

Thank you for your patience all this while.
    We had launched our investigation into the matter to get to the root cause of the problem. As the part of our investigation, we had reached out to many of you personally over email.
    We have concluded our investigation and have come up with few findings.

1. For many of the users the issue got fixed after updating InDesign to a newer version.
    2. For some, the issue got resolved after disabling a third-party application such as Suitecase fusion etc.
    3. For few, the issue was intermittent and is no longer reproducible.
    4. For majority of the users, the underlying cause of the performance issue was identified to be related to span columns, cross-references, third party plugin etc.

We have created separated threads for these issues and we are now working towards resolving them.

However, over the time this thread…

20. Lock files not synced via google drive

We have an issue where one user opens an indesign file and a lock file is created. When on a standard file server, a second user tries to open the file and is told its locked by user x and they cannot open the file. With google file stream, user 1 opens the file and a lock file is generated and synced, user 2 has that lock file synced locally so its visible, but they can still open the file and get no lock warnings. Has anyone else found this and found a solution

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base