Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)

Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

Bug details

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. New File keyboard shortcut

1. Using InDesign CC 2018 on a Mac.
    2. Upon launching Indesign the command+n shortcut for a new file does not function. Only works when I have a file open.
    3. Expected result would be for it to come to the new file options box.
    4. Just makes the weird bumping sound and I have to go up to file and select new file.

This keyboard shortcut works on Illustrator CC 2018 and Photoshop CC 2018 upon launching. Thank you!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: facebook google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. indesign cc 2018 erratic display behaviour

Issues with linked images and vector shapes just going invisible and unselectable even though they are still in the links panel.

This bug makes it difficult to work, and leads to adding a huge number of linked images since I think they are not on the page.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Temp InDesign 2018 file

Temp InDesign 2018 file does not go away after closing ID file and trying to delete it, the Finder generates an error" -80" (?). By the way, what is the reason for such file to be visible at all? Why does the user even care to behold that file at all?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Adobe Templates - Title Blocks won't allow editing in Modern Media Kit Layout

Modern Media Kit Layout
    Chic Media Kit Layout

I would like to use these Adobe templates, but the top title blocks will not allow editing. All of the other text box elements on the page react when you click on them, allowing you the opportunity to edit them. I can't seem to edit "YOUR TITLE HERE" or "MEDIA KIT 2017"

Am I missing something about how to properly edit the title blocks on those templates? I can't even click on it... no option to capture/click/highlight the "YOUR TITLE HERE" section.

Guidance is greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Green overlay left behind by inDesign

InDesign 12.1.0.56
    macOS 10.13 High Sierra
    Problem on screen but not on a screenshot.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. CC2017

When I command+W and try to scroll up and down with the arrow keyes it takes forever and its inconstant. Basically its not working at all.
    I just bought the new MacBook Pro 2017 with macOS Sierra 10.12.5.

I restarted laptop and it continued to make the same.
    In my other Macbook air, it works just as fine.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. pipette does not work in cells of tables

pipette does not work in cells of tables

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Copying from Illustrator pastes with strange colors

I used to be able to do this with no problem: copy a vector from Illustrator into InDesign and it look the same. Now, when I paste a logo, say, a teal and yellow one, into InDesign, the teal turns red! I have color swatches created in the Illustrator file, but even when I haven't done that, I've never seen this happen before. I now have to import many vector images instead, which is a huge inconvenience.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Performance/Usability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Surface Pro 4 And Gestures

I have a new Surface Pro 4. When using Adobe applications, gestures on the touch pad (for example pinching or scrolling) either don't work or are really bugy with little control. I was told by Adobe that this is due to the detachable keyboard on the Surface Pro.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Workspace not loading correctly

I use multiple screens on my Mac running 10.13.6 OS.
    I continually loose one of my palette sets from view. When I load my custom workplace the character \ paragraph / etc appear as I have saved them, but this randomly disappears - if I go to window and select character the spinning wheel tales 10 - 15 seconds to load up the pallet again and all is Ok for a while, then it disappears again - Tried saving a new workspace many times but always same thin happens - this is only happening after the last update.
    Running ID…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. excel sheet names

InDesign doesn't show named cell ranges for excel sheet tabs that start with a number. If the sheet name starts with a number the named cell ranges on that sheet will not show up in the import drop down.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. QR Code

I think it would be great if the QR codes that are generated can be actually tracked. The number of users, where it was scanned, etc. Basically, Google Analytics but only for QR codes.
    It would make things a great deal easier instead of setting up Google Analytics to track this information.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. print dialog offset greyed out

The offset, gap and transverse options in the Setup section of the Print Dialog are not greyed out and so available. I tried various document presents, print presets and printers - and no matter what settings are selected these features remain greyed out. I cannot find in help pages or anywhere online how to activate this feature. Please help or fix.

Adobe InDesign CC 2019 14.0.2 x64

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. InDesign Is Still Unusably Slow

Despite this forum being filled with "solved" reports of InDesign being unusably slow, it remains so.
    I am editing a 4 page document that is almost all text, and yet I get the spinning ball after each and every keystroke. It can take 5-10 seconds just to complete typing a word, and heaven help me if I make a mistake and need to backspace.

I just updated InDesign this morning so I am on 14.0.2. I'm running Windows 10 1903. The machine is an MSI laptop with an i7 processor and 12GB of RAM.

I have attempted to edit the…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. InD responding slowly

This isn't a "bug" per se, but InD has slowed to a crawl when using. Doesn't matter if I am trying to select text, change tools, or click on a menu item. It's been going very slow for a while now, doesn't matter the file. I have tried to trash preferences and reinstall InD, and nothing has changed it. Oh, and I just have major lag, not a spinning ball.

I am Win10, InD CC 14.0.2. The only plug-in I am running is Suitcase Fusion, and that is up to date as well.

Help please, as InDesign is unusable at…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. CC Libraries fail to load or connect during launch even when CC is running in the background

CC Library associated link resource images causes error messages during launch of program or file even when CC is running in the background.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Library appears signed out but cloud is signed in (CC 2019)

I'm logged in the app and the web, but the library panel in InDesign says "you have closed your session in CreativeCloud". Strangely in the "help" menu my session appears open. I closed and logged several times, even I was temporarily bogged down for a while and the problem persists.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 2 5 7 9 15 16
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base