Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

859 results found

1. Indesign incredibly slow or crashes with more than one document open

InDesign (15.0.2) becomes almost unusable with more than (1) document open. Trying to copy text or images from one document to the next or just work in one of the documents while the other is open results in minutes-long wait times (or complete crash) to even select a text box, type a character, etc.

Steps to reproduce:
    Open INDD doc (either on network or desktop)
    Open second INDD doc
    Attempt to edit text in either doc or copy over text from one document to the next

Set-up info:
    InDesign 15.0.2
    Windows 10 Enterprise // 10.0.17763

Trouble-shooting included:
    - Turned off…

26 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

As confirmed by a customer over the thread that the issue is fixed in InDesign 2020(v15.1.2.226).

We recommend you upgrade to either InDesign 2020(v15.1.2.226) or to the latest InDesign 2021(v16.0.0.77) for the fix.

If you are unable to see the update, go to the Creative Cloud application and click on the context menu on the top right and click on Check for App Updates.

Adobe InDesign Team

2. CMD+O (Open File) STILL Doesn't Work in 15.0.3 on first launching InDesign

This still hasn't been fixed!! When first opening InDesign 15.0.3 CMD+O just gives a 'dead key' beep, and it doesn't bring up the 'Open File' dialog. You must use the MENU to open the first file. After you have opened a file from the MENU, the CMD+O will then work. PLEASE FIX, for us long-time users this is painfully annoying! I have reported this in previous releases.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are reviewing it

-InDesign Team

3. Adobe InDesign 15.0.2 x64 too slow when opening two or more InDesign documents

Adobe InDesign 15.0.2 x64 is too slow, when opening two or more InDesign documents.

I work with Windows 10 Enterprise, version 1803

Previously, I could open two or more InDesign documents without noticing any delays.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. InDesign ability to handle large files with many images / better rendering

Today in InDesign with large files (e.g. 320 pages, 400 images, many images 10MB JPEGs), presentation mode becomes bogged down with rendering the images and is unusable. Furthermore, using the page view large–jumbo sized views is very slow. On my 5k iMac, I can see that the CPU, the GPU, and the RAM are all available, so there is compute power to be had. Thus the feature request is to enable InDesign to use more HW and/or to have a way to store fully rendered images in a cache.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Adobe InDesign 2020 Super Slow

InDesign 2020 is super slow. I cannot have two files open at the same time anymore (a problem for me). The response time between mouse clicks is up to 10-30 sec! I have moved my files to an external drive (off of the network to eliminate VPN as the problem), still no improvement. It has crashed, and when prompted I have sent a report. My program is current 15.0.2.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Slow & stuttering performance since using 4K monitor

Hi

I've recently upgraded to a Dell UP2720Q 4K monitor.
    Since the upgrade i've notices that inDesign has become nearly unusable, Its slow when selecting objects, editing text, moving things around...

When moving Indesign to my second monitor (eizo s2433w) the problem goes away.

The only fix I have found is to change the display profile to "Apple RGB" in the display settings. This fixes the problem immediately, but now the colours look horrible...

I've also notices this problem with other Adobe apps like, illustrator and photoshop. But Indesign seems to have the worst of it.

1. Version of Adobe InDesign,…

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 15.0.2

When pasting a group of layers from one document to another it would be great of InDesign would honor the sort order when the layers land in the receiving document. Also if the layer colors can stay the same.

I often paste between documents and it is not fun having the manual sort the layers. How about a sort selected layer by "X' as an option. Typically I number these direct mail layers in numerical order.

This is very important with direct mail clients with variable data. The printers prefer all versions for the different branch offices in a 2-page…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. When working over VNC, often Tools cannot be chosen

When I connect to my Mac over macOS-VNC, I can use everything as needed. Unfortunately sometimes Indesign shows the hand and lets me use only the hand to move the page, although I clicked the Arrow e.g. and it is selected. I the cannot select Text, change sizes of boxes etc. The only remedy is to reconnect via VNC, but not every time that works. I do not have this with any other program than indesign, so I am starting my journey of finding the root of this here.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Type Tool Deselecting Itself

Pressing T on the keyboard makes the type tool activate, but only for a second before it switches back to the previous tool.

Running Indesign 15.0.2, so this issue was not fixed as stated in a previous thread.
    Running Mac OS 10.13.6

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. character size

Hello,
    I have an issue with the size of some panel. For example, the "paragraph" one and the "character" one are oversized, they are too long and I can't reach the end or even redimensionized it. How can I fix that?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Trackpad scroll issues with InDesign v15.0.2 on new MacBook Pro 16" 2.4 GHz 8 core processor 64GBmemory. .

InDesign v15.0.2 Trackpad is not scrolling well on new MacBook Pro 16" 2.4 GHz 8 core processor 64GBmemory. I just upgraded my equipment to top of line MacBook Pro. and bought the subscription to Adobe all apps. I have been using 2013 MacbookPro with CS6. My files are unresponsive in Indesign. I typically collage with 600+ photoshop images to make is single design on multiple pages. On my old system I was not running into problems except new OS was incompatible with CS6.

This is unacceptable. I called Adobe and they were not helpful.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Power Efficiency

Since I've moved to working remotely entirely, I've noticed how quickly using several Adobe programs burns through my laptop battery. I'm running a brand new 16" Macbook Pro with the latest MacOS Catalina version, and I'm lucky if I get an hour and a half of battery life while running InDesign and Illustrator at the same time. When I review what is using the most battery life, my Mac lists InDesign, Illustrator, and Core Sync as the main culprits.

Now, I understand that these programs at times are fairly graphically intensive, but the battery life I'm getting is absymal, and…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Increase the size (thickness) of the ruler guides

Hi,

Give the possibility to increase the size (thickness) of the ruler guides (all the time / when hovering over the ruler guides or using a shortcuts). This would be present in the software preferences. It's not always easy to see them well. Thanks.

Bye.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Slow

Ever since these latest updates to InDesign, the performance is slow even with Display Performance set to Fast. I looked through the RAM and made sure no other settings were making it lag. I've uninstalled and reinstalled with no difference in performance. There shouldn't be a need to update InDesign so frequently, I've used Adobe products for over 10 years and these updates are making the usability go backwards.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Cross-Reference won't save a <cs style="stylename"></cs> format. It just strips the tag out of the data.

Before updating to the latest version of ID, I would get an error each time I tried to use the <cs> tag to format a cross-reference. It wouldn't let me save the data.

Now it lets me save the data, but it just strips the tag out.

I have a character setting called Bold.

I defined a cross-reference format as:
    <cs style="Bold"><fullPara /></cs> on page <pageNum />

I save it, and I click OK. Then I reopen the format page, and it says the following:
    <fullPara /> on page <pageNum />

It's like the tag never existed. No matter what…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Spellcheck

Spellcheck in InDesign 2020 build 15.0.2 doesn't work. It acts like it is working, but it never finds any misspellings. I noticed it yesterday when I sent an article to the proof reader and it came back with errors InDesign should have detected. I purposely put in misspellings, but InDesign found no spelling mistakes.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. story editor cursor block cursor disappears

InDesign 15.0.2 on OS X 10.14.6 on a MacBook Pro with an external display.

Go into Preferences and set the story editor cursor to "block," the fattest size.

Put the cursor toward the righthand side of a longer line, and use the arrow keys to navigate the cursor up and down.

The cursor should stay visible at the end of the line, as the default cursor does.

Instead, when the cursor is at the end of the line, it disappears, making editing and navigation by arrow keys difficult.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Version 15.0.2 - Duplicate folder saving to desktop

After moving a packaged folder from the desktop, if I go back to edit the file it creates a duplicate folder to the desktop with only the contents of Document fonts (which does not include all fonts). Definitely a concern of saving over existing data.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. InDesign, InCopy: linked copy and image files randomly broken

We are a group of 16 graphic designers working on Macs. Our OS are varied between Sierra, High Sierra and Mojave. We work in InDesign 14.03 and 15.02 (with linked InCopy assets), Bridge 9.1 and 10.03, Photoshop 20.0.8 and 21.1, and Illustrator 23.1.1 and 24.1. We work on Box Drive and store our layout files and absolute-linked image assets there. It is critical that we are able to work on each others’ files in a high-volume, high-production environment. We don’t believe this is an issue related to our connection speeds.

Looking for a resolution to these issues:

InDesign: Not all…

20 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?