Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

256 results found

1. Publish online- Safari issues

Using ID 15.0.3

Using embed code on my protfolio page.

Videos cause rescaling of the page, videos are 1280x720 mp4s and have not been scaled on their pages

Videos also do not play on page load, you must click play on them.

None of these issues are present when using chrome.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. InDesign Publish Online Not Clickable on Windows in Chrome or Firefox

Working in: Adobe InDesign CC 2018

We recently published a guide online using Adobe Publish online. The clickable elements (buttons, interactive elements) are not clickable on touchscreen PCs in Chrome or Firefox, but the touchscreen works (not as clean, but works). This issue is not present when the PC users are in safari or internet explorer. All content was created and published on a Mac, and no macs have had an issue.

The content is private, but I can send the guide to anyone from Adobe on a person-person basis.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Endnotes don't export to ePub

EPUB Export Endnotes with Hyperlinks

Version: InDesign CC 2019 – 14.0.3

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Use the endnote feature and in one of the endnotes (preferably after the first one), add a hyperlink.

2. Export the InDesign document to EPUB

Expected Result: All endnote references are hyperlinked and the numbers for each endnote are backlinked back to the reference.

Actual Result:
    Endnote number is missing for all endnotes after the hyperlink that was added to the endnote and no linking occurs after the manual hyperlink. Indesign crashes.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Character Style "Include Classes in HTML" checkbox removes whole tag

The "Include Classes in HTML" checkbox doesn't work for Character Styles. Whereas paragraph styles and object style export without the class, character styles actually export without the tag at all—losing any formatting for that style. This is the case both in HTML and EPUB export.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Publish online doesn't work properly in chrome browser on new mobile devices (android)

Hi there,

We have published an interactive document with Indesign "publish online" feature. It works flawlessly in every browser, except in Chrome on some new mobiles phones with Android (not possible to go back or forward through pages or zoom). On the contrary, Interactivity and videos work properly.

We have the last indesign version (2021. Creative suite)

What's the problem?
    Thanks in advance

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Problem with Publish online.

Version 13 - very repeatedly happening for the first time today. A previously published link to a document no longer works -- when I click I get a 404 User error saying that the document does not exist. And when I go to "Publish Online" within InDesign I get an error saying that I "cannot use this feature at this time. Check your network connectivity." Repeats even when I shut down and come back into the document.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Indesign publish online page transitions not working

When I publish online from InDesign, any page transitions that have been applied to pages do not work. The pages simply appear. All animations work well, but the page push that I set as a transition does not work. Hopefully someone has a solution for this? If I use a plugin like in5 I can get the desired effect. Hopefully Adobe can add the same functionality that In5 has. Here is a sample from in5 that has the correct page transition: https://rudilouw.com/rotspoel/ You can drag from side to side and slide the pages.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. publishing not working in chrome, FF

I am using indesign 13.1. I have several published documents that are suddenly not working in FF and Chrome, but are working in Safari.

For example, click on read now on this page:
    https://merce-cunningham-bm.now.sh/history-detail

or this page:

https://sfarts.org/monthly.cfm

In Chrome -- nothing happens. But those pages work in Safari.

Those two documents were created by different companies, so it is not an indesign intallation issue, as the support chat person insisted.

These pages have been working well for a long time.

I am the only one affected by this? Seems unlikely....

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. InDesign 2023 Unable to use Publish Online feature

osx Montery 12.3 (M1 Max)
    InDesign 2023 (v 18.0)

Updated to 2023 this morning and am now getting the following error message when I try to use publish online "Error #0: This service is not available for your account. Contact your Administrator or Customer Support for further assistance."

Have never received this prior to the update and I seem unable to find any information regarding it (most likely because the update is so fresh). I have already restarted fully, quit and reopened indesign.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. publish online failure

When publishing online, objects appear missing, indesign drawn objects, text, placed svgs, etc. Shows a question mark where the object should be
    I'm using latest InDesign CC, have scanned computer for virus/malware, reinstalled Indesign, with no resolution of problem which started on 3rd March. Previous to this I've been using for 8 months with no problems Publishing Online whatsoever, been totally rock-steady.

See this link from Uwe Launder:
    https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs

See this Publish Online with missing InDesign drawn elements:
    https://indd.adobe.com/view/b91790d7-6683-449b-b86c-0b72ed80a746

Here's how it should look (see attached):

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. "You do not have access to Publish Online service" error

I have been working with publish online services for a few months now and have spent the past few days re-publishing the same document having had some edits.

Suddenly today, I began receiving this error when trying to publish online "You cannot use this feature right now. Please check your network connectivity."

Additionally, when I try to access the publish online dashboard I see this error: "You do not have access to Publish Online service."

Has anyone had this happen before and know what to do? I tried restarting InDeisgn and connecting to a different wifi network.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Publish Online Mobile Zoom

When I try to zoom in the embedded Publish Online viewer, and I’m on mobile, it zooms too far and then it’s impossible to zoom all the way out again unless I switch pages.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Online Published Documents show a blank screen after clicking PDF download button.

Online Published Documents show a blank screen after clicking PDF download button. Mac Safari & Chrome, Windows 10 & Chrome.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/023d4ab5-2ffd-4a9c-9b15-cc64ef1d4c27

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Thank you for reporting the issue. We need some information around the issue which may help us in narrowing down the root cause:

1. Does it happen with the latest InDesign version 14.0.1 ?
    2. Is it document specific or happens with all the documents with PDF download capability ?
    3. Which type of accounts are you using : Paid or Trial or something else ?
    4. Please specify your Platform, OS version and Browser information

A short video depicting the issue will be very helpful

14. Numbering restarts from 1 after an unnumbered style in exported html

1. InDesign 18.1 (since 17.2.1)
    2. Create a numbered list paragraph, insert a line of a different paragraph style not containing numbers, continue the numbered list on the next line, the number continues from the previous list. Export this file to an html file.
    3. Expect the number to follow what we see in the InDesign file
    4. The number restarts from 1 after the inserted line of a different paragraph style
    6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Publish Online 'Document Not Found' error message

Getting the following error when visiting any Adobe Publish Online document.

Document Not Found. The document you requested does not exist. Please check the link used to make sure it’s accurate.

Is this an internal issue? This is extremely concerning because our company has multiple documents in this format and none of them are working.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Email Hyperlinks Not Responding in Published Online File

I have a document that contains some email hyperlinks throughout it. I set up the hyperlinks with the link to "email" option, and then the address as the destination. Creating a "mailto:xyz@xyz.com" link.

After publishing online, when the links are clicked on, it takes the page to a "could not connect" page and does not respond correctly. BUT all email links work completely fine when copied and pasted, right click and opened up in a new tab, when clicking directly from an exported PDF, when clicking from the downloaded PDF from the published online document, etc. It's only…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Sound not working when Publish Online

I'm working on a book to be an epub. The epub version works perfectly (sound/animation), then I had to make another version for the publish online. The problem was, when convert to publish online directly, sound was going on way before it's page, for example, on the first page we were hearing the next 4 pages almost at the same time. I solved this problem by inserting play/pause buttons for the sounds. It was working perfectly fine last week, and now this week, some pages don't play sound at all. But in the epub preview in InDesign, everything is working…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. "Rolloff" in Animationpanel not working in CC2017 / CC2018 / MAC / WINDOWS

I am working on a diplom project right now, and faced a really annoying bug in InDesign. I want to create a rollover bar, wich slides up when I rollover / hover with my mouse over a certain object. I know without any kind of problems how I am able to create something like this, but my problem is, that the object simply wont return to its destination where it came from, when I rolloff it again, like going away with my mouse. It stays on its place once the animation has been completed, and when I hover over it…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Endnotes in ePub use identical id's where an id should be Unique

When InDesign 18.0 and earlier versions make a reflowable ePub, the endnotes cause the file to be rejected when checked by https://www.ebookit.com/tools/bp/Bo/eBookIt/epub-validator. The reason: each endnote reference is embedded in a span with an id twice, and the name or identifier of that id is the same. In HTML (which is the construct of an ePub) each id should be unique. You cannot have a HTML file with two elements with the same id-name. The next line can be found at the endnote reference, but a similar thing coccurs on the backlink, back from the endnote text to the…

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. EPUB – Endnote backlink issues for INDB files

When exporting EPUB 3.0 (and 2.01) from an InDesign(2022, version 17.4) book file, endnotes only link in the first chapter where they are found. Subsequent chapters reveal <a> tags with empty href attributes.
    Backlinks are required by virtually all ebook publishers. For academic books, endnotes are essential and the request for EPUB formats is only increasing.

So far Adobe Car's response: "Currently, we do not have a workaround for this issue other than creating a single document instead of book or manually modifying backlink in the exported EPUB file." This isn't acceptable or even always possible.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base