Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

360 results found

1. Switch primary text frame's Text Frame Options for multiple pages

Switch primary text frame's Text Frame Options for multiple pages. See this item on forum: https://forums.adobe.com/message/11180092#11180092. Using 14.0.2 x64. You can't use applying a new Master Page to switch Balance Columns off and on on a Primary Text Frame, though you can use it to change number of columns. Thank you for your attention to this likely bug.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Shortcut CMD + S increasing the file size.

Files created within InDesign are increasing in size dramatically with every CMD + S.

It is not the files linked in the document which are 100 % to the ration they are seen and resetting the cache ~/Library>Caches> Adobe Indesign does not have any effect.

macOS Mojave
    Version 10.14.5

InDesign CC 2019

To test this we have created a quick document with an Adobe Support Technician Saptam (see image-01). This document is 1.5 MB and when the design elements have been deleted and the file saved CMD +S you can see the file size doesn't go down (see image-02).

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. hyperlinks missing or corrupt when opening CC2017 documents into CC2019

InDesign files opened from CC2017 (They were on our backup server from a job 3 years ago) using InDesign 14.0.2 x64 on Win10 64bit (CC2019) -
    They open fine without any issue except the hyperlinks - they are all broken/corrupt. When doubleclicking on one, it is effectively blank, as if I were making a new one.
    I tried saving as .idml and reloading, but it was still the same. How can I get these hyperlinks back to normal? Do I have to reinstall CC2017 again (is that even possible?).
    Any help greatly appreciated

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, start a new thread by adding all the relevant details.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

4. Master page image appear in wrong page in page layout 32(page number) indesign CC 2017.0

1 . Indesign Version CC 2017.0
    2. Master page image appear wrongly in page 32. If we go to CO master page and change the position of the image on the master page, the image on 32 will get disappear. But if open same file CC 2017.1 we don't have that image.
    3. In page 32 master page image was appear wrongly, Actually that image was not to come there.

1. In page 32 only text has to be there.

2. I attached indesign file and link and also the video showing the issue in the below link
      https://we.tl/t-OvxpJfK5RM

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Split window re-scrolls after returning from other app and changing other window

I am running Adobe InDesign CC 14.0.1.x64 on Windows 7 with latest updates (i.e., the most popular platform in the world).

1. Open the document (see attached).
    2. Split the window (Window > Arrange > Split Window).
    3. Scroll the left window to show page 2, with the Table of Contents.
    4. Scroll the right window to show e.g. page 3, with the cursor in the middle of the page.
    5. With the Type tool active, click the Enter key.
    6. InDesign correctly inserts a new paragraph, with the left window remaining unchanged.
    7. Alt-Tab out of InDesign.
    8. Alt-Tab back into InDesign. The Type tool should still…
    2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of bug fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?

Adobe InDesign Team

6. Keep settings not honoured

The Keep option 'Keep with next n' is not always honoured. Please open the attached document for an example.

The page contains three threaded text frames. A heading appears on top of the second frame. A float was placed (with wrap applied) that pushes the text out of the second frame into the third frame so that the heading stays in the second frame, on its own.

The expectation is that the heading moves with the text to the third frame.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. problem with command "cross column"

when I apply the command "cross columns" to a title and in the next page there is no space to scroll the text, the title instead of remaining in the current page goes to the next page

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. reference point

Reference Point moves on objects when one object on page is rotated. Indesign 2019 (14.0.1) If one (or more) objects on a page is rotated, then the reference point on other objects on the page changes as you select through the different objects. This applies to text, picture, and tint boxes. If you try and make the reference point the same on all objects on a page, say the upper left point, then select other objects, they have changed to a different reference point. This makes it very difficult to align objects from page to page.
    Mac OS 10.12.6

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Indesign 2019 placing my pictures reversed/ inverted; had to use an older version

Indesign 2019 placing my pictures reversed/ inverted; had to use an older version for multi page PDF placement to work properly.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Copying a page: Wrong position

When making a copy of a page, for example a copy of page 1, the new copy lands on a wrong position in the page palette.
    1. Click and drag page 1 in the page palette while holding the alt-key. Then move mouse to the right, until a line appears between pages 1 and 2.
    2. Releasing the mouse button should result in a copy of page 1 between the original page 1 and 2. All subsequent page numbers should increase by 1.
    3. Instead of landing on position 2, the copied page appears on position 3.

This issue has…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released InDesign CC2019.0.2 with lot of bug fixes. If you are not on 14.0.2.324 then I would recommend you to upgrade to latest version as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please provide more information to santalwa@adobe.com
    • Reproducible Steps – What were you doing when you encountered the issue in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue?
    • Is(Are) the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If Yes, Can you please provide the document(s)/asset(s)?
    • Does Trashing preference and cache, please create a backup of Preference and cache before trashing them, help to resolve the issue?

Adobe InDesign Team

11. Upon opening app 'Pages panel' does not launch

InDesign doesn't seem to record the preference of keeping open the 'pages panel'. On each app launch (despite on closing the last session with the pages panel open), the pages panel does not appear.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • What were you doing when the issue was observed in InDesign?
    • Error snapshot or video recording of the issue.
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.
    • Is the issue related to a specific workspace(s)? If yes, can you please provide the workspace(s) available at following location:
    o Windows: “%APPDATA%\Adobe\InDesign\Version 14.0\en_US\Workspaces”
    o Macintosh: "~/Library/Preferences/Adobe InDesign/Version 14.0\en_US\Workspaces”

Adobe InDesign team

12. pages tab unable to scroll past spread 42-43

I have a book with 56 pages. The 'Pages' tab can only scroll to pages 42-43. I can't get to the pages below. This makes it impossible to rearrange pages below 42-43.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    CLOSED  ·  amaarora responded

To identify the cause of this issue, we had started our investigation with the aim to resolve it. You might have also received email from us seeking more details to help in our investigation.

We’ve concluded our investigation and came up with the finding : Either the issue is fixed in the latest release of InDesign or the issue was intermittent in nature at the time of its reporting and is not reproducible now.

We recommend you to upgrade to the latest version of InDesign 2020 (if you’re not already on it) as it is more robust.

If you still face this issue even after updating to the latest version of InDesign, start a new thread by adding all the relevant details.

We seek your support in our continual effort to improve InDesign.

Adobe InDesign Team

13. double layout page has become a PB spread. some pictures missing

In a 36 page document one double page spread has become a PB spread. some pictures missing, page numbers should be 8 and 9 but show PB instead, page background is grey instead of white, see screen shot attached.
    This is a disaster as I have to get the completed magazine to the printer ASAP!
    Version InDesign CC 2018. Created a 36 page magazine. Checked back through the layout and found pages 8 and 9 were not normal. Not what I expected.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We have released an update for InDesign CC2019 (v 14.0.1) which contains fixes for some key issues. If you are not already on 14.0.1 (build 209), then we recommend you to update to latest version.

If you still face this issue even after updating, please send the following information to santalwa@adobe.com :

Reproducible Steps –
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

14. Errorcode 2 too now.. (in Addition to Errorcode 4).. Database // Writing Rights...

After having troubles with errorcode 4 since CC17 and High Sierra, now Errorcode 2 enters the stage :(.

First Symptoms: If you are working on a document and you have to re-save it under different names, e.g. you are working with a kind of template and have to import assets and save the INDD files... you always stay in the folder of the file after using "save as" ... but in this case the Indesign points to something like "documents" or another default folder after clicking "save as".

After that i am not able to save the files or load…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Pages/spread overlapping after changing page size

InDesign 2018 CC 13.0.1

Pages and spreads are doing weird things when I resize my document. It creates some odd margin after resize of pages. I start out with 2 pages, document shuffling allowed, facing pages turned off.

Pagespread01112617 - shows the page spread I was working with; each page is 10”x12.25”.
    Page
    spread02112617 - after I changed the size to 10.68”x11.239” for another ad spread, a weird margin showed up. The content boxes show how there is an odd overlap; each box is 10.68" wide.
    Pagespread03_112617 - If I move page 2…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Objects on canvas move down when new page created

Have just noticed that when I create a new page in the middle of a multipage document, objects on the canvas of following pages are all pushed down an extra page - i've screen capped before/after. I tested on two other documents and one other computer and was able to reproduce the issue every time...

Version: 13.0/CC 2018
    Reproduce issue by: Create multipage document with objects on the canvas. Insert pages using pages palette in the middle of the document; watch all your canvas content move down!
    Expected result: for the content to stay on the canvas of the pages…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –
    • Video recording of the issue.
    • Is the issue related to a specific document(s)/asset(s)? If yes, can you please share the document(s)/asset(s) with us? Please package the entire document(To package the document, Go to File → Package)

Adobe InDesign team

17. 2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –
    • Does trashing InDesign Preferences and Cache help resolve the issue? Please take a backup of the same before trashing them.

Adobe InDesign team

18. help

Indesign help takes me to webpage that does not exist.
    http://community.adobe.com/chcservices/services/redirect?u=http://help.adobe.com&p=InDesign_12.0&l=en_US&id=AH_HOME

Browser shows:
    Safari can’t open the page “‎community.adobe.com/chcservices/services/redirect?u=http://help.adobe.com&p=InDesign_12.0&l=en_US&id=AH_HOME” because the server unexpectedly dropped the connection. This sometimes occurs when the server is busy. Wait for a few minutes, and then try again.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Pagina on Master page - deleted on one page

Pagina is on Master page, and deleted on one page.
    In version 12.0.0.81 the pagina that is deleted still shows.
    In version 12.1.0.56 the pagina is not there.
    I do not know which version the designer used when creating the document, some version of 2017.
    The pagina block is from the edge to spine.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Page icons not displayed in vertical and horizontal configuration.

There seems to be a bug with the pages palette, the icons do not display correctly in vertical and horizontal configurations with some dissapearing off the side or below.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Reproducible Steps –

Adobe InDesign team

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base