Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

921 results found

1. Grep expressions with ~F in a character class fail in endnotes

The inclusion of ~F in a character class invalidates grep expressions in endnotes.

InDesign version: 14.0.2.324 (with the GREP fix installed)

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open the attached document. It contains a single page with text and an endnote.
    2. In the GREP tab of the Find/What window, enter the following GREP expression:

\d[^.,;~F]+

And target the document. The expression matches from a digit up to the next period, comma, semicolon, or footnote marker.

Expected result: The expression should match some text in the main text and in the endnote.
    Actual Result: The expression does not match anything in the endnote.

To…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    Under Review  ·  amaarora responded

Hi,
    Thanks for reporting the issue
    We are looking into it

-InDesign Team

2. Cursor should return to starting location after find/change

1. InDesign 15.0.1 x64 (Windows 10)
    2. I have a document with about 20 pages full of text. As I am reading through the text, I notice an error that I need to fix (such as a misspelled name, for example). I activate the the find/change dialog box and run a search and replace to change all of the misspelled names to the correct spelling. When I am finished, I click done in the Find/Change window.
    3. I may be misremembering, but it seems to me that in past versions of InDesign, when I clicked "Done" my cursor would jump back to the…
    1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. ACTIVETED FONTS I work in file with the text on Gotham HTF

ACTIVETED FONTS I work in file with the text on Gotham HTF. Book Font (original Apple) is my program for active/disactive fonts. On window (InDesign) Find Font I see that the Gotham HTF Bold is present 2 time, also Gotham HTF Book and Gotham HTF Blasck. But this problem is present only for Gotham, NO for Helvetica Neue Ltd std or ;inion or other fonts.

Can someone tell me WHY? ... and escuse my badbad english I'm Italian ;)

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Crash when smart reflowing a document with many anchored text boxes

Indesign is freezing/crashing when smart text reflow is used to reflow the document. Other documents are fine. This document is unique in that it contains many anchored text boxes and decimal tabs.

I am using InDesign 15.0.2

All I must do to crash InDesign is 1) open the document, 2) place my cursor between two of the inline anchored text boxes, 3) add a paragraph return (creating overset text which should be reflowed automatically).

See attached screenshot of one-page document.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text/Story/Table  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Crash when smart reflowing a document with many anchored text boxes

Indesign is freezing/crashing when smart text reflow is used to reflow the attached document. Other documents are fine. This document is unique in that it contains many anchored text boxes and decimal tabs.

I am using InDesign 15.0.2

To witness the bug, 1) open the attached document, 2) click the red text marked with a note, 3) apply the "bug illustration" paragraph style.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. [v15.0.1 up to v15.0.3.406] Link in Hyperlink Panel green, but incorrect

Another bug that has unfortunately crept in and is just noticeable: in the hyperlink panel, links are shown as okay (green!!), but they contain control characters (e.g. conditional line break <- I don't know if this is the correct English name, see in Text as control character like this: | ).
    The control character is (of course) exported and the link does not work in Acrobat.

The link does not work in InDesign either, but if the light shows green, the function is useless.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Indesign performance issue : Slow work of Indesign when editing text with large footnotes

I'd like to report a bug. Please follow the scenario below:

1. In a single column with lots of text in it, make two columns for a fragment of text

2. In text within the two-column setup, make a footnote. Add several lines of text to the footnote

3. Turn on the "Span Footnotes Across Columns" feature so that footnote ends up in the same group with the footnotes at the bottom of the page rather than below the two-column fragment

4. Expected behaviour: normal editing can be performed after these manipulations

5. Observed behaviour: any text editing after turning on the "Span Footnotes Across…

38 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. The hyphenation don't work properly in portuguese syllabic Division

The Hyphenation breaks on vowels and consonants what is wrong on portuguese, there was not that in old versions of Indesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Mysterious blocks of whitespace appearing in tables

Yesterday I reported mysterious blocks of white space appearing between paragraphs and images. They are now starting to appear between my tables. Please see the attached figure. There is no indication of them in the story. Has this got something to do with the footnotes which are behaving very strangely. Maybe I have misconfigured them somehow?

Kind regards
    Mike Howell

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Typekit (or Adobe Fonts) or Fonts menu collapses while browsing through the list of fonts.

I am absolutely loving the new InDesign features. But, whilst testing the new Typekit/Adobe Fonts browsing window in InDesign I came across this bug / crash. Instead of allowing me to freely roam the vast selection of fantastic fonts, the window just decides to close and defaults to one of the already synced fonts.

InDesign version: 14.0, included a screencap.

58 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Edit: We reached to the users who have commented the issue still persists to identify the gap. It was discovered that their issue is different from what is being discussed on this thread. The issue pertaining to this thread is fixed. Hence, we are closing the thread.

The fix for this issue is now available in the latest update 14.0.2 of InDesign 2019.
    If you are unable to see the update notification yet, open the menu (three dots) from the top-right of Creative Cloud desktop application and click on ‘Check For App Updates’.
    Once the update button is shown against InDesign, click on the button to update to Id 14.0.2.

If you face any problems with the new update, do let us know in the comments.
    https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/fixed-issues.html

11. Honor Word Break Boundaries for Overflowing Text / Line Breaking for Non-ZWSP Text

Lao (SEA Asian) text that doesn't already have ZWSPs included, doesn't automatically line-break, even though double-select word selection shows that the ICU/HarfBuzz engine is finding them. It would be nice to be able to set for paragraphs the ability to use non-ZWSP text and have ID automatically line-break based on the ICU/HarfBuzz word boundaries.

Not all people will want this, should it should be made easy to enabled/disable, because some people use ZWSPs to manually control layout features, and don't prefer automatic word-boundary analysis.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Illogical interface to control the strokes of a table's cells

Hi there,

I find the interface to adjust the strokes of a table's cell utterly confusing and frustrating to use. For instance, I want to adjust the top horizontal border between two rows. If I click on the top bar in your interface (see diagram), select a weight and colour, InDesign changes the stroke of the cell's vertical bars?!

If I select the bottom bar in the diagram, it still changes the vertical bars.

If I attempt to guess the reasoning of how the interface works, I then chose to select the vertical bars in the interface, InDesign still changes…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. New frame created when pasting text in InDesign

Pasting single or multiple words into a table creates a brand new frame which floats on top of the existing one. This bug affects text copied from another section of the InDesign document as well as many text elements (single words or sentences) copied from MSWord.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Outline font in circle

When a combination of superscript and normal sized font is used in a circle then fonts are outlined, the text jumps up to the positioning of the superscript within the circle instead of staying centred. This issue has not occurred before in previous versions of InDesign.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add option to allow non-rounded inset text inside a text box with rounded corners.

Please add an option to allow inset spacing on a text box with rounded corners to follow the rectangular shape of the box, rather than the shape of the rounded corners.

ie. Make it act like the example on the left of my image, rather than like the right, which is the current behaviour.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. General font selection in bold!

I have a question. I work a lot with questions and answers.

I ask if it is possible to put all my 'questions' in bold without me selecting one at a time. Is it possible to make a general selection of all? (I tried using the CTRL + F method), but it doesn't work, there are different questions and different names.)

Thanks in advance! Hugs from Brazil ma' friends!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. spelling

I am using InDesign 15.0.1 with the English (UK) dictionary. The spell check doesn't work at all - the dynamic spelling feature underlines every single word. I finally upgraded to CC from CS6 because InDesign v8.0 had started doing the same thing, but it still has the same issue.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Selection of several words

It would be great if we could select several words at the same time to apply a style.
    For example, in the sentence "It would be great if we could select several words at the same time to apply a style", I would like to select the words "great" and "words" and "style" at the same time in order to put them in bold all at once.
    Thanks a lot !

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. bug when you press the key 1 on the right panel of my keyboard

indesign 15.0.1 on mac pro late 2013
    have trouble when I press 1 on the right side of my keyboard, I have to do shift+1 on the left side of the keyboard
    in-design CC does not take in charge the 1 of the keyboard (I have no problem with other software)

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Tired of Adobe cloud and syncing

I have had it!
    I have so had it with you Adobe! I'm not even connected to the internet, I'm OFFLINE!!!! In InDesign, when I work with a freaking Google font called "Lato," I expect only the Google Font to be on my system fonts. Yet, you, yes, YOU want me to connect to the internet so that the font "Lato Medium" is synced into my design, which I did not even request to be synced in the first place. I never wanted the **** font, yet you force it down on me. InDesign keeps telling me that the font…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base