Skip to content

Adobe InDesign: Bugs

When filing a new bug, please provide:

1. Version of Adobe InDesign, InCopy or InDesign Server
  2. Steps to reproduce the issues
  3. Expected result
  4. Actual result
  5. Test file, screenshot, video or GIF capturing the issue (optional)
If you are facing a crash in InDesign, please submit the crash report as well. How to Submit Crash Report
Join the InDesign Prerelease Program to try out the new features and the bug fixes that are available in beta builds.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

483 results found

1. Data Merge – PDF-Image Error

Hi there
    We have the alarming situation, that we did some data merge with a bill in it which is set up as a image (PDF). We did a PDF for the costumer to check the personalization.
    Afterwards we did made the PDF for printing.
    Thats were the problem started, because the PDF of the bill was getting importet wrong. in the firstplace we imported the PDF with the Mediabox but since we edited some other files and placed some other PDF with trimbox the setting was saved in the indd presets and on the data merge we got the…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Book-PDF pixelated

Hello Support Team,

I have been having an annoying InDesign issue for quite some time:

I have a total of four computers available (1x HomeOffce, 1x work, 2x from colleagues) on which InDesign is installed. In each case the same program version (version doesn't really matter in this case, but current on our systems is 19.0).

On ONE COMPUTER, since installing InDesign about 3/4 year ago, I have the problem that the PDF output of a book always produces pixelated graphics.
    When I output single documents, the quality is correct, exclusively with the PDF output from a book it is…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. pdf export

Hello.

I've used until 2 weeks ago a CS4 version of Indesign.
    Now I have the CC2023.
    I've troubles with the pdf export.
    The document is always the same, a 720 pages catalogues with Illustrator pictures.
    With the CS4, I was able to export 2 pages in around 5 seconds.
    With the CC2023, it takes arount 2 minutes, and after that the software don't answer for other 3 minutes.

What happens?

Thanks.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. PDF Workflow shows syntax error in exported PDF Version 18.5

I read that there was some Problems with PDF export since InDesign version 18.4. And i want to report that there are still issues with the latest version 18.5. Our Workflow reports syntax error in pdf and aborts procession. Its a full stop, no detailed error messages were shown. The only solution for us is to place the PDF again in older InDesign (17.4) and export a PDF from there.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Bug ao exportar PDF Interativo

Quando exporto pdf interativo, automaticamente ele insere links em urls, porém, quando a url ocupa duas ou mais linhas, ele insere apenas na primeira linha, tornando o link quebrado e sem funcionalidade. A única forma de resolver isso é colocando manualmente via ferramenta link. Tem com ajustar de forma que o Indesign consiga fazer a varredura do link, verificando se ele realmente funciona e criar automaticamente de forma correta? Obrigado.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. PAC 2021 Error for InDesign generated PDF : Object reference not set to an instance of an object

I am still getting Object reference not set to an instance of an object when testing pdf files in PAC 21. This error apparently relates to 'PDF Export using ZIP compression for images shows an “Insufficient data for an image” error on opening in Acrobat.

This was supposed to be fixed in ID 18.5 but its now happening with every PDF I check for accessibility, even a single page with simple text.

Working for local government and its imperative our PDF files exported from ID are fully accessible and tested. Seek an urgent fix.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

Under Review  ·  6 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Eliminate Generating PDF dialog box

I am constantly bothered by the Generating PDF dialog box for two reasons:
    First, it doesn't play well with my dual-screen setup. If I have InDesign on one monitor, the dialog box often shows up on the othe rmonitor, blocking whatever applications or windows I am working on outside of InDesign. Then I must manually drag it over to the InDesign monitor to get it out of the way. Come on Adobe! Many users have multiple monitors. Your apps should remember the locations of all dialog boxes, windows, and panels and not arbitrarily show up in random places.
    Second, and…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. PDF/X-1a:2001 rendering is broken as of v18.4

Exporting using the PDF/X-1a:2001 preset no longer works properly as of versions 18.4. When rendering plate separations for printing using AFGA Apogee prepress software (which has NOT been updated, nor has the OS), the PDF crashes the render and spits out an error. I've checked and confirm that PDFs worked as expected forever until v18.4 and 18.5, which both produce an error. Saving the PDFs as a postscript within Acrobat and distilling back into PDF/X-1a:2001 fixes the problem, so something is broken in InDesign.
    Apogee usually provides better error reports than the single "." in that screenshot, which suggests that…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Data Merge merges only first record repeatedly

Using InDesign for Windows v18.5.

First of all, I TRIED to upload the InDesign file in question to this forum, and get an error message stating that uploading of InDesign files is not allowed. In an InDESIGN FORUM?

The issue here is the failure of InDesign to properly merge records from a CSV/TXT document. I have a source document (tab-delim text) and multiple fields in the InDesign document. (I am NOT trying to place multiple records per page. It's a single record with multiple tab-delim fields per page.) When I do a preview of the merge, the preview looks perfect,…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Export PDF is crashing PAC checker due to font issue

Since version 18.4, sometimes the embedding of specific fonts is causing PAC to get a system error. I know this because I sent my file to Axaio (made-to-tag) when I couldn't figure out why PAC was not working. They told me this started happening since version 18.4, which has something to do with fonts. They suggested finding a TrueType version of the font to get around this bug or download 18.3. I use Indesign all the time and need this bug to be fixed.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Share for Review

Share for Review and PDF export have been consistently not working. Below is a screen share of my attempting to export a PDF and share for review. I recently got a new computer. I don't know if it's an issue with syncing but it's happening with every document I open. I get notifications from time to time saying PDF won't export because of a PNG file that is misplaced but it doesn't mention what file. Imagine trying to locate the needle in a haystack.

I've closed the files, restarted inDesign, verified that it was up to date, scoured the forums,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. PDF from Indesign 18.5 document that has placed .indd files fails to RIP on EFI Fiery RIPs

I have a file which is a page of placed indd files to make up a label sheet.

Since updating from 18.3 to 18.5 this file and other similar files fail to RIP on two different (one xerox and one konica) EFI fiery systems.

Downgrading back to 18.3 fixes the issue.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. export, printing

I am unable to export or print a document through InDesign 2023. I have no errors in the document, but whenever I try to export the document (which is 113 pages long and has quite a number of images throughout), it just says "Failed to Export PDF File", but gives no reason for why this happened. I do get a pop-up window before the one that says the document failed to export and the pop-up says that some links for either files or hyperlinks are not accessible. I have removed all hyperlinks and all the images are linked properly. Also,…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. 18.4 and 18.5 exported PDF corrupted

Hi guys,

Our books are printed in house with Xerox Nuvera 288 Presses. We recently faced this issue, and tho it should be addressed in 18.5 updated, we're still facing the same problem in 18.4 with 18.5 (Images attached below) where the whole book is printed out, but have left a single page blank.

In this example, this page 85 went blank every time we ran it through the press when exported with 18.4 and 18.5, but got no problem with 18.3. This error also happened to 9 out of 10 book titles (exported with 18.4 and 18.5) that we…

29 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

50 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Certain placed PDFs look fine but become strange when part of InDesign export to PDF

InDesign version 18.3. The issue is explained thoroughly in this forum thread, with lots of example exports: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign-discussions/pdf-export-messes-up-placed-pdf-and-is-affected-by-mark-bleed-settings/m-p/13957529

Summary: If you place either of the attached PDFs (which were made in Word for Mac), and then try to make a PDF from InDesign, the black rectangle that is in the background of the content will change size unexpectedly. It will always look fine in InDesign but mess up when exported. And the degree to which it changes will vary depending on various factors like marks and bleed, which should have nothing to do with the placed PDF.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. PDF export wrong PDF version

We are using InDesign server 18 to export InDesign files to PDF. The last months (since november, when we updated from 17 to 18) we are noticing that we have problems with disappearing transparancy.

After a lot of research we found out that although the joboptions have the settings to export version 1.3, the server exports to version to a PDF 1.4. The PDF standard that is used is PDF X-1a:2003. This seems why transparancy is disappearing. I cannot reproduce this manually with the local version of InDesign I think because there is no possibility to use PDF-x1a:2003 and version…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. 1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. "Insufficient data for an image" error is shown on opening PDF in Acrobat

We are experiencing issues with exporting to PDF. Hi res PDF Compatibility Acrobat 7 (PDF 1.6).
    The PDF is created normally, but when opening the PDF, it sometimes happens that the image is not displayed on one or more pages. The error message for this specific page is: ERROR: Insufficient data for an image.
    We tried to solve this problem within our team. Eventually, we discovered that the issue did not occur for one of our colleagues. Further investigation revealed that this colleague was still using an older version of InDesign (18.3). The colleagues experiencing problems had automatic updates enabled…

17 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Package-PDF and Export-PDF create different results

Mac OS Monterey 12.6 / Adobe InDesign 18.3

Function "Create Package" with a PDF and selected job.options (PDF Presets) creates PDF with wrong downsampling for images.

Function "Export PDF" with same PDF Preset creates PDF with expected quality

Why is there a difference?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. RGB Gray are not exported in PDF with the same values.

InDesign Version: 18.2.1 x64

When setting a gray scale in InDesign with different patches of equal R=G=B and inspecting the resulting PDF the % values are correct but when inspecting the color values in Acrobat Pro Object Inspector there are some slight differences in the R G and B components.
    When doing the same in Illustrator with the same profiles and exporting settings the components are equals.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base