Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. InDesign Preview For Finder

There really should be an InDesign preview for Mac Finder. This should be a requirement for your software and should not be considered a feature request.

70 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

19 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. To be able to scale the user interface.

In AI it's possible, but not in ID. Some of the panels and text are so small I can barely see them. It would be nice to be able to change the preferences to small or big for the users preference or blindness.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  InDesign Server  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Multiple viewports for the same document.

I'd like to have multiple (at least dual) views for the same InDesign document. I'm editing master pages (1 of 6 layers, guides on) and I would like to see the modifications on the normal pages (all layers on, guides off.

This might also come in handy when editing indexes or table of contents. Anyway, I can give lots of examples why multiple viewports might be ideal.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Please add an Ink Manager indicator in Swatches panel

Add an indicator to Swatches panel, showing which swatches are affected by Ink Manager. Would help prepress and collaborators know the true story of document swatches.
    NOTE: this has been proposed by other users, but I was asked to post this after I tweeted about it. So forgive redundancy. Or take it as a sign that it's a good idea. ;-)

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Lorem ipsum reminder before Save.

If "Lorem ipsum" appears in the file, when Save is tapped, before saving , a "Lorem ipsum Alert" should appear, so that this placeholder does not find its way into print in error. This suggestion applies to ID, PS and AI.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Publish Online: Comment Mode NEEDED! :)

I think in order to compete with the other tools out there, CC needs to add Comment Mode into their Publish Online feature. That way we can share documents with clients and partners and have them provide feedback right there. Please think about doing this, and soon :)

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PublishOnline  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Open cloud file indicator

When working at Creative Cloud group it would be useful to know if the document is open to another member of the group. The Up to Date symbol could indicate whether the document is open.

If the documents are open at the same time, there will be a conflict and the things done will not be in the same document.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. PDF Comments in InDesign (Make Icons Smaller or Transparent)

We love the new feature for importing pdf comments into InDesign! The only problem is that the comment icons are so large that I can't see the type underneath to make the edit. I have to delete the comment and then try to remember the edit and figure out exactly where it goes. Could you make the icons smaller or transparent (or perhaps allow us to make these adjustments with "PDF Comments Options")? Thanks!

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. you had content fitting into frame options available in the tools ribbon. Not anymore. WHY?

you had content fitting into frame options available in the tools ribbon. It's been removed, and now it's a nuisance. :( Bad user experience.

The same with content placed HORIZONTALLY inside the text frame (Top, middle, bottom placement).

Now to access both features I have to go to the menu instead of clicking a button on the tools ribbon. Do not remove working solutions. It's not intuitive and is totally frustrating :(
    *rant over

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Loop Video in PDF

Allow embedded movies used in Interactive PDF export to loop video. Or at least allow to embed GIFs.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Content Aware Fit separate setting for rasters and vectors

I like using Content Aware Fit on most photos but it doesn't make it sense to use it on vectors like logos. So I have to turn it on and off constantly. Perhaps there could be separate preference checkboxes so that Content Aware Fit can occur when placing photos but not vectors.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Underlining that skips characters with descenders

While it is a last resort in typography, when I do underline I prefer it to be just below the baseline. But this default underline overlaps descenders. Rather than having to lower underlines to avoid these clashes, could the Underline Options panel or another feature detect when an underline will overlap a descender and skip that character? - Thanks!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Character window typeface drop down menu extend fully within workspace

In InDesign CC 2018 when I selected a typeface from the character window drop-down menu, the drop-down expanded to fill my workspace vertically no matter where my character palette was on the screen. Now in CC 2019 it only expands to show 19 or 20 fonts in a much smaller drop-down window. I would love either to go back to the way it was before or have the option to enlarge the drop-down typeface selection window.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Path elements as Artifact

To create an accessible PDFs it’s essential to either tag relevant content or mark irrrelevant content as Artifact. In InDesign you can use the object export options to mark an object as “Artefact”.

So far so good, however any path elements from tables or underlined/strikethrough text are not marked at all. Obviously, those always need to be marked as an Artifact. InDesign should do this automatically during the pdf export process. Please fix that, it’s extremly time consuming to fix that manually in Acrobat.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Index that can find grammatical cases

Making index of names, ID can´t find anything else than basic names, not genetives, like Hovi/Hovin. Find and replase you can find names by putting ̭ "any mark"-marks of the end of the name, Hovi⋀$. Could you make ID better by fixing this problem for we finnish grammar using users :)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. When relinking files, prefer to show entire filename instead of path

When relinking files a dialogue oops up where the relinked file is selected. At the top of the dialogue the path to the file is shown. If there isn't enough space for the entire path, including filename, it is condensed by removing some text in the middle. If there is enough room to show the entire filename that should be shown. The path to the file is not as important as the name of the file, especially when relinking multiple files which are often in the same folder and I am already looking in that folder.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Repeat last action feature

Please, make something like MS Word, that you can repeat your last action just pressing F4. That could save a lot of time.

29 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Enhance the new Suffix feature for exporting single Pages or single Spreads as PDF

The new Suffix feature allows three parameters: ^#, ^P and ^S. So far so good.
    To make the feature complete I would suggest a couple of other parameters:

^N for page names
    Page names like i, ii, iii or a, b, c or 001, 002, 003 would be possible.
    Also names like 200 for the first page in a document that starts with 200 for page one.

^X for section prefixes ( max. of 8 characters )

^A for names of Alternate Layouts

^W for width of page

^H for height of page

^Pt , ^mm, ^In etc.pp. for unit…

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. preferences+search

There are so many preferences in the preferences-dialogbox I which I could search like in the macOS or Windows preferences.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Variable font support

Please add support for variable fonts.

72 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)