Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Import/Export PDF Comments

The new "Import PDF comments" feature is nice but ideally, you could retain some of the unresolved comments in the subsequent export. It was also be great to have the ability to reply to the comments. The new feature works great for minor fixes but if the comments are unclear or further communication is needed on the topic it would be great to be able to keep them comment with a reply, etc. Thank you!

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Table of content – Styling improvement

1) Please make the TOC dialogue box scaleable: especially the include paragraph styles box is unmanageable (long names are not visible and after applying settings to a style it scrolls back to the top of the list)
    2) Please include option to strip or override character styles in TOC
    At the moment you need a lot of paragraph styles to set up the TOC, especially when having multicoloured headlines, both in document and TOC
    3) Please give text boxes an option "include in TOC" (helpful when having the same headline on several pages) and the option to enter alternate wording…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Placing Illustrator file from libraries to allow me to select which artboard I want to place

I have a few Illustrator files that have multiple artboards that I use frequently. I want to be able to drag the Illustrator file from the libraries panel and then be able to select which artboard from the Illustrator file I want to place.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. InDesign Accessibility Checker feature

I use Indesign to create ADA compliant documents. I constantly have to go between InDesign and Acrobat. It would be more productive if the accessibility features in Acrobat were included in InDesign. It would also be nice to have a built in color checker included in Indesign.

Is there a plug in available??

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Please add a history panel to InDesign, like Photoshop's

This is a very helpful feature, saving time and enabling the user to track what they've done. Thank you.

87 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. DataMerge icons/images inline into text frames

Add the ability to put file paths for icons/images with text in a cell, so that the images are merged inline with the text in a text frame. For example "Here is some text and here's an @icon.ai" would merge the icon.ai file into the text.

I know a lot of people who do work on card games using DataMerge, and this is the single most frequent request I get.

Currently the way we get around this is by merging text with placeholders like "[icon]", then copying the icon to the clipboard and doing a find and replace [icon] with…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. select similar

It would be helpful to have a select similar feature for lines and other drawn objects like in illustrator because sometimes I need to change a bunch of things to a different line weight and currently must manually find and change them. I always miss it when I'm working in Indesign instead of Illustrator.

31 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Would like to be able to include fonts and links from linked Illustrator files when packaging an InDesign file for print

would like to be able to collect fonts and links in linked AI and PS files when packaging an ID file for print.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Print/Packaging  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Insert special character — Unicode compliance

Unicode is required to meet accessibility standards and several forms of publishing technologies.

The keyboard shortcuts and right-click/opt-click Insert Special Characters shortcuts need to be updated to insert the Unicode versions of these glyphs.

The Unicode glyph charts are at www.Unicode.org

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Diagonal strike through text

Please allow designers to use diagonal strike through text.

Designer should be able to ...
    - Set the trike through line for single a text selection
    - Define this in a paragraph style
    - Use it as a property in a script
    - choose a direction (top left to bottom right / Bottom left to upper right)
    - define a line thickness and color
    - choose to only display a part of the line below and on top of the text

Thanks

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Choose the language of the interface

The idea would be to be able to change the language of indesign as in Phostohop. After installing the desired languages via the Creative Cloud, it would be possible to choose the language in which you want to work. Most of the time people use 2 languages, English and their own language.
    Why not install default international English and be able to choose another language for installation.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Improvement suggestions ‘paragraph’ menu

Baseline grid value ‘increment every’ field in paragraph menu.
    - Now you have to go to preferences first. It is a significant option for layout.

Reset option for 'left indent' and 'first line left indent'. Reset to 0/0
    - annoying that I first have to adjust the bottom input field and then the upper one.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Allow bullets and numbers to hang outside of the text frame

There is currently no way to make a bullet or number hang outside of a text frame properly. The "optical margin alignment" feature control is iffy at best.

Attached are two photos that show what I mean.

In the first example, the "Correct" green bullets are not achievable in InDesign unless every other paragraph except for the bulleted paragraph has an additional positive left indent on all of its lines. It would be so much easier if we could just add a negative left indent to the first line of the bulleted paragraphs.

In the second example, a document that…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Separate the 'Merge Consecutive Borders and Shading' option into two

Currently in InDesign CC2019, if you have paragraph styles with the same 'Paragraph Border' and 'Paragraph Shading' settings, these will merge with consecutive paragraphs if the appropriately-named 'Merge Consecutive Borders and Shading with same Settings' options is set.

But what if you want to have consecutive paragraphs with the same border, but different shading, or vice versa? No options allow this.

I suggest that the 'Merge Consecutive Borders and Shading with same Settings' option is split into two; 'Merge Consecutive Borders with same Settings' under 'Paragraph Border', and 'Merge Consecutive Shading with same Settings' under 'Paragraph Shading'.

Having the two…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Shared files in Dropbox should alert other file users if the file is open

My team is trying to collaborate cross-country on a set of InDesign files using Dropbox.

This is difficult because the InDesign files don't notify users when someone is in the same file when it's stored in Dropbox. This makes our team more likely to have divergent copies, and it makes it harder for us to collaborate.

Word files in Dropbox do let you know when someone else is in the file. It would be a major improvement if the InDesign files would also alert users when someone else is in the file when its stored in Dropbox.

Alternatively, if Adobe…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. character styles stay/strip/replace in VARIABLES

Headers created with Variables need to be able to do three different things with character styles that are included in text :

1. The Character Style stays present in the VARIABLE ;
    2. The Character Style is stripped.
    3. The Character Style is mapped to another character style.

These settings should accessible in the Style: <stylename> section of the TOC options -- customizable for each paragraph style used to generate the TOC.

The most notable use for the mapping style is when the typeface between the TOC and the body text of the book differs,…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Long Document Features  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Allow to add notes to footnotes!

As simple as the heading is to "allow to add notes to footnotes!"
    Google Docs, has this option, and and causes problems when importing them with the notes into InDesign, same applies when using DocaFlow

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Recognize GPU Performance on more systems

I have a 2013 MacPro with dual d500 GPU's and an Eizo CG277 Monitor...which is the pinnacle of graphic design monitors. I can't enable GPU performance?! Retina monitors do not have near the color accuracy of Eizos.
    My Eizo connects via thunderbolt 2 and USB...both at the same time. The bandwidth is definitely sufficient.
    It is ridiculous.... I have more than enough power, let me utilize it. Your requirements are not valid for professionals.

Please expand your list of GPU Performance systems beyond "Retina Monitors"

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Export to Adobe XD

It would be fantastic, if the exchange with Adobe XD would be improved.
    This could raise InDesign to a new, more modern level. Complete web designs can be created much faster and better with InDesign than, for example, with the layer-based Photoshop or the confusing Adobe Illustrator. There is already an ePUB export, so it would be obvious, to implement an XD export. Or XD imports InDesign data, that would work too. Thank you and always think ahead!

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PublishOnline  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base