1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Share for review—interactive documents

Loving the new Share for Review feature, but how about the ability to markup documents with interactivity. Currently, all the buttons, rollovers, etc. disappear when using this feature—which implies it's just a baked-in version of adobe DC's commenting feature for static PDF documents.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Include original INDD filename in metadata on PDF export

Include original INDD filename in metadata on PDF export.

I often get PDFs from clients, usually well after a job has been completed, where they want to update it, or base a new document on the PDF. Some clients, no matter how many times you tell them not to, change the name of the PDF file, making it a little more difficult to find the source file. Or a new client will send me a PDF that I did not create... then I have to ask for the source file, and of course you get "deer in the headlights eyes".…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Functionality to apply kerning before the first letter in a line

Feature Description: This feature should work like in Illustrator or Photoshop (even After Effects can do it). Please see attached screen capture.

How it should work:
    1. Insert the cursor before the first character in a line
    2. Use the kerning in the character panel or with the shortcuts (ALT + arrow keys)
    3. kerning should be applied

Why: This would be a productivity enhancement and make it much easier to optically align the first letter in a line manually without having to use the Optical Margin alignment that only works for a whole story.

105 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Interactive text field options that do not exist in InDesign, but do in Acrobat.

I make a ton of interactive PDFs in InDesign. Why can I not set things like character limits or centered text within InDesign so I can save the settings in the .indd file? Instead, I am forced to make these changes in Acrobat. This means that any changes to the .indd file require that I remake the PDF format changes in Acrobat. EVERY TIME!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Filter UserVoice posts by date, new to old, solved

I'd like to be able to sift through the feedback more efficiently

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Group Layers

It would be an easy but valuable addition to be able to group layers in InDesign like we can do in Photoshop. That would allow various "versions" of a document to be turned off an on, as well as organizing more complex documents. We can group paragraph styles and swatches – why not layers? Palette items should be groupable across the board, for a consistent interface.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Open PDF

I want the ability to open an Adobe PDF in Adobe InDesign. The ability to have a pdf file that I can right click and go to Open With -> Adobe InDesign would save so much time at my job in the print industry. It takes forever to take 1,500 pages of a PDF document and individually place them in an InDesign file just so I can use a master page to overlay a bad logo that a client used. If they could just automatically open just as though I did the whole document by hand it would be a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Update links in ALL open documents

When working with multiple open documents, usually with similar or same assets) it would be great if Indesign could update that assets across all open documents in the same action.

Often, I need to switch between the source application, eg. Illustrator. and change an asset effecting several similar documents that are open. Would it be wonderful to update that same asset when you switch back to the active Indesign session with multiple files/tabes open. Instead, we need to select file by file and update the same assets in each instance.

:-)

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Allow users to create a shortcut for a paragraph style including "apply next style"

You can add a shortcut to each paragraph style. If you apply it to several paragraphs they will all be in this style although you may have insert a "next style" to apply.
    So it would be great to have the opportunity for 2 shortcuts:
    – the way it's used to be
    – for applying the style plus next style

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Why doesn't ID have a blur filter?

My suggestion for ID is it should have a blur filter along with all the other filters available. it seems it has everything but blur. I use the gradient blur filter all the time for layouts and it's a time saver, so I would love a gaussian blur to also be there so I don't have to go back and forth from ID and PSD.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Fold marks in export settings for spreads

Hello,

I work with cover spreads quite a bit....3 facing pages. Back Cover-Spine-Front Cover. The printer I work with, a very large commercial printer, requests fold marks on the spine. They want them the same size/offset as the outer crop marks. When you have a spread and you check "crop marks" in the export settings, InDesign puts marks on the spine that are smaller and offset further away from the trim than the outer marks. They really do no good. I think it would be extremely beneficial if there was a "Fold Mark" option in the export settings for when…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Ability to print and/or download proofs

I have some clients that like to print hard copies of their proofs. Before the 'Share for Review" feature, it was a lot of pdf's making made and uploaded, which tended to crash my InDesign, so I do enjoy not having to create so many, and having one link throughout the process.
    However, there is no option for the client to download a pdf or to print the pages directly from the proof... so then I'm back to making pdf's again. That is the only thing so far my clients seem unhappy about with the new proofing system, is the…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. 3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Would like to be able to share a pdf (for proofing/approval) straight out of InDesign. Exceeding valuable as it skips steps.

In the busy print workflow environment it would be nice to skip steps when providing clients with proofs for review/approval. Creating and sending a pdf proof to clients straight out of InDesign would be just the thing. Currently, as you know, you export the InDesign document as a pdf, open it up in Acrobat and share the file for review. While the Acrobat function is fine (although we've noticed lag time in clients receiving the proof) in the face-pace environment of a printshop, where many of these proofs are processed, it would be a time saver.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Keyboard command for resizing content within a picture box

Quark allows one to resize an image within a picture box using key commands. Could this key command please be added to ID. It's wonderful: To resize a picture in 5% increments using keyboard shortcuts, press Command+Option+Shift+> (Mac OS) or Ctrl+Alt+Shift+> (Windows). To enlarge,and Command+Option+Shift+< (Mac OS) or Ctrl+Alt+Shift+< (Windows) to reduce.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Add Space Before on Column Top checkbox

Currently the ‘Space Before’ value is ignored when that paragraph appears on the top of any container—frame/column.

There are innumerable occasions when we need the above space settings to be honoured even when the paragraph appears on the top of the column. We InDesigners resort to various antics and workaround like keeping an ‘Invisible Rule Above’ or use a character style with extra leading etc..

It is very easily solved by a simple checkbox in the Indents and Spacing tab just below ‘Space Before’ selection which says ‘Add Space Before on column top’. If checked, the value will always be…

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Password Protection in the new Review panel

Include a password protection field in the new review tab. Allow it to be toggled on and off. When a review is sent, and a password is created, send the password in the same email as the review link.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Ability to add an image to a note

Add the ability to add an image to a note. I work with technical manuals that are image heavy and some of my reviewers like to add examples of what they're looking for by showing an example of a different document.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Option to replace links with same name but different format

When relinking a file, ID is able to check and relink all other links in a folder. However, I regularly have to use the relink feature to replace .tif dummies with finalized .psd files. The problem is that relink includes the extension of files in the name, so a tickable option to tell ID to change extension according to the first file you click so it then relinks all files with same name but the desired extension instead would save a lot of time.

(Unrelated, but having a corner to drag the typing field when posting ideas would be nice.…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Improve UI Efficiency of Styles Panels

SEE ATTACHED SCREENSHOT—

The UI of the styles panels is way too spacious in some areas and, as a result, way too compressed in other ways.

The panels have to be stretched wider than they should just to read all the text.

Attached screenshot has a before-and-after with analysis and proposed redesign.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base