1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Borders on cells in a table

When adding a border (a stroke) to a cell-style for a table, I think it would be very usefull you can actually align the position of that stroke towards the cellframe. Like, for text-frames or image-frames you can choose "inside, outside or in the middle". For tables/cells, you can not. I often have to use a paragraph style with a paragraph border to get "more accurate" results. My screenshot will explain better.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Better justification using OpenType Variable Font width axis

Please improve the justification options in InDesign. Variable font width axis could significantly contribute to better text justification – see the attached example.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Improve Preflight

Isn’t it about time for an update and some enhancements to this great feature? Some suggestions:

1. Change the default Preflight Profile to something realistic for quality printing. The absence of warnings is misleading, making people think that everything is fine.

2. Divide the check for “Protected fonts” into two categories: 1. Fonts which do not allow embedding in PDF, 2. Activated Adobe fonts (the existing behaviour of flagging Adobe fonts as “not allowed” causes a lot of confusion)

3. Change the wording “Transparency not allowed” to just “Transparency”
      Transparency is rarely a problem nowadays, though it is still good to check whether…
    6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. History panel a la Photoshop

Photoshop has a history panel, extremely useful when undoing edits, or simply reviewing them, etc. This would be awesome in InDesign, and all other Adobe programs too.

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. share for review track changes

If you add a "track changes" option in the share for review function, it will be super! Now my clients mark things to be changed (mostly textual corrections) and when i've marked them as done, the marking is gone, so the client can't verify that the changes are made the way they wanted.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add real Next Page Number / Previous Page Number

At present, Next Page Number and Previous Page Number actually means Next Text Frame Page Number / Previous Text Frame Page Number. It is very confusing. I suggest to add real Next Page Number / Previous Page Number which would add – surprise! – next page number and previous page number to the text.
    It would be very helpful, in situations you want to have page numbers only at one page of a spread (10/11, 12–13 etc). At the moment, there is only a stupid and slow workaround with linked text frames, which does not work in every situations.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Remove color group folder when all swatches in it are selected by "Select all unused"

If all swatches are selected in a group folder by using the "Select all unused" option, also remove the group folder. This will make the workflow for cleaning up the swatches faster by only taking one action instead of also having to remove an empty group folder.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Endnotes should have the same renumbering options as footnotes

Footnotes can be set to renumber every SECTION. This is OK, but could be improved (see below).
    However, endnotes can only be set to renumber every STORY. This is a most undesirable limitation, because it requires breaking text threads in order to create new stories. This is destructive design—to limit potential problems it is necessary to wait until layout is completed before breaking threads. Even then, problems can still occur.
    This problem could easily be fixed by allowing endnotes to be renumbered the same ways as footnotes can be—every section.
    Of course, renumbering every section also has a significant limitation—it…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Enable relative searches, e.g. 'point size more than 10 pts' or 'space before less than 6 pts'

You can use the Find Text and Find Grep features to look for certain constant values, e.g 'point size 12 pts', 'tracking 75', 'space before 6 pts'.

But it's not possible to search for relative values, e.g. 'point size less than 12pts'. And it's not possible to do negative, e.g. search for certain text in paragraphs that do not have a certain paragraph style applied.

These features would make it much easier to find text with missing or incorrectly applied formatting, and generally would mean that the search scope can be specified more flexibly, which in turn means that InDesign's…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Ability to anchor graphics across spreads

Because with accessibility it is important to anchor graphics, sometimes when the graphic reference is on the previous spread or the next spread, it is necessary to anchor to another spread when the graphic doesn't fit. When you do this, indesign will automatically move the graphic to another page. You should have the ability to anchor something across spreads.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add full text markup options to document review (online version)

When sending a document for review through CC online, my reviewers have very limited edit/markup options (add comment, draw, add pin). Can you add all the text markup options available in the "Comment" tool of the desktop version of Acrobat Pro? For example, insert text, add note to replace text, strikethrough, callout boxes, etc. This is valuable to me because it is much easier to read/understand the edits if they're clear text edits, not just comments in a box. Thank you!

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Add support for language based typographic rules

Each language has its own set of traditional rules related to hyphens, dashes, quotation marks, punctuation, hyphenation, spaces etc. Most of the rules are pretty simple and it is very easy to apply them using a list of search-replace sequences.

To significantly improve the quality of typesetting, Adobe should provide users a tool to clean up texts (remove additional spaces for instance) and create output matching the style guides and orthographic rules.

The rules should be defined for each language and/or region. There are different quotation marks in German used in Germany or in Switzerland; in French used in France…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Share for review - A Great New Feature

I just started testing the new Share for Review and am really liking it so far - very smooth and an upgrade over the Publish online feature which I tried but found was no better than just saving a PDF to the cloud and sharing that. I like that in Share for Review I can just hit update on an active document. I am hoping over time to see the following added to this great new feature:

• The ability to allow clients to download a PDF version

• More Annotation tools (Highlights, cross-out, underlines, etc...)

• The Ability to Create Versions

• Bonus…
    11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. share for review accept changes

It would be extremely helpful to allow the Share for Review comments to be implemented with a click of a button, just like we can currently do by importing PDF comments.

Having to retype the changes a reviewer suggests is not only time consuming, but also allows for errors, since it has to be retyped. And if this already works in the PDF comments, it should work on this.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Ability to print and/or download proofs

I have some clients that like to print hard copies of their proofs. Before the 'Share for Review" feature, it was a lot of pdf's making made and uploaded, which tended to crash my InDesign, so I do enjoy not having to create so many, and having one link throughout the process.
    However, there is no option for the client to download a pdf or to print the pages directly from the proof... so then I'm back to making pdf's again. That is the only thing so far my clients seem unhappy about with the new proofing system, is the…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Share for Review  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Button for "Approve Artwork"

For the "Share For Review" feature, it would be extremely helpful to have an "Approve" button and possibly an "Approve with changes" and "Send new proof with changes" button. Having these have options we can toggle would be great as well.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  PublishOnline  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Moving the IDLK temp file

It would be nice to have an option in Preferences to be able to move the temporary IDLK file which is automatically created at the same level as the edited file. Kind of like Photoshop.
    Because if the edited file is located in a DropBox or GoogleDrive (or other) folder, Dropbox or GoogleDrive spend their time updating this file, which is very detrimental in terms of bandwidth and processor occupancy.

Thank you

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Preserve positioning data when pasting graphic from one frame to another

When I copy an image from one frame and paste it into another, I expect this action to preserve two sets of attributes: scaling factor and positioning data.

I get one out of two (scaling).

No offense, but QuarkXPress could do both back in 1990.

Why does this matter? Imagine a layout with a horizontal row of head shots, each in a separate frame of the same shape and size. Client says, "Oh, please move photo 3 to frame 10, and scoot everyone else up one frame."

I don't have to imagine this situation, as I'm currently working on a…

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Target cell styles in find/change

Working with long tables would be easier if find/change could be limited by cell style.

It would be even better if this find/change could include inserting text when there is nothing present in the cell.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Out of gamut warning/highlighting

It would be nice if, like other Adobe software, InDesign offered an out-of-gamut warning/highlighting option on screen when viewing documents with Proof Colors. It could even be an option in the proof colors setup dialog.

In practice, corrections to out-of-gamut colors of placed (typically RGB) images does not take place in InDesign. I realize that. But since InDesign may be the point of conversion to CMYK for print-ready PDFs, it could be useful to have a sense of where there might be problem areas in placed images, graphics, etc.

In some sense, InDesign is last line of defense, and offering…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Colors/Swatches  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base