1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

4921 results found

1. Option to select default editor for scripts.

After update to MacOs Catalina the command to "Edit Script" from the flyout menu does nothing when in an Indesign version prior to CC 2020. This is because ExtendScript Toolkit no longer runs as it is a 32 bit application.

In Indesign 2020 the command opens Visual Studio Code.

However, I prefer using another application for editing scripts.

So my feature request is simply:
    We need options to select which application Indesign opens for editing scripts.
    Maybe even one for applescripts, one for javascripts and one for vb scripts.

Or at least rely on the system’s default application for the…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Scripting  ·  Admin →
    How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Show only Font familys in Font preview

Since the latest layout change the font searchbar improved, BUT it takes way longer to actually find a font, becouse every Version of the font is displayed, instead of the whole Family (so Arial Bold, Arial Medium etc... instead of Arial, Futura, etc). This is especially confusing, when working with similar named font familys or diffenrt varants of familys. I would suggest a option in the preferences of all Adobe programs to change etween family preview and single style preview, with the first set as default.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Have a Dropdown arrow in the middle of Control/any Panel in Indesign So when the Mouse is Hoverd/Clicked on it The Menu/Options show up

I like the Properties Panel idea And Hiding the Control Bars on top to maybe look less daunting to newcomers but What if It has a DropDown arrow. A small panel tucked inside on top of Indesign while having a dropdown arrow in the middle so when the mouse is clicked/hovered on top it falls down occupying the same amt of space. Can also be used on every other Panel the Right one as well. Just Hover the Mouse to the extreme Right and the Panel shows up and when not more viewing space for the file. I m not…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. A more efficient indexing system for book files.

A more efficient indexing system for book files would be ideal. Also, when using the Index window, it would be great if the window could stay open and allow me to continue entering words. If I don't select desired text, enter index reference, "add all," then close the window, it doesn't populate correctly.
    It would be ideal for me to keep the window open, enter desired text (without selecting in the file), click "add all," then continue with more entries .

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add "Blur" Panel (for all Elements like Boxes/Images/Groups) as in XD

There should be an easy and time saving option to blur (0-100%) any elements in InDesign – just like the possibilities in Adobe XD. Especially for creating great web designs this would be a big benefit (more possibilities, less time).

44 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Creating Imposition of Documents

Creating Imposition of Documents when packaging and exporting to PDF it should ask which type of binding you required (staple pin, hardbound, saddle stich, gum bind etc) , the size of paper, Start of document first page for example in english the first page starts from right and Arabic it is reverse and then creates a pdf with imposition layout to the print format.

I have attached screen shot which is layout of imposition of pdf document.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Live color separation

In Indesign we create the document mostly for printing. But it will be good have a live color separation preview option what is there in Adobe Illustrator.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Print dialog reverts to 1 copy

1. I wish the print dialog box defaulted back to 1 copy like all other software programs that I am familiar with.

2. As a teacher I am updating student printouts every semester. When I am ready to proof read my changes, I hit Cmd+P and walk over to the printer to find 87 copies sitting there waiting to be proofed, because I had printed 87 finished copies the previous semester. Yes, I am aware of this quirk of InDesign, but hitting Cmd+P followed by return is muscle memory. I know I have wasted several reams of paper over the years.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Possibility to ignore stroke type in object styles

Whenever you export EPUB with some object style you have made, it always comes with a border style. For example, border-style:solid;
    In cell styles it's possible to ignore the stroke type so it would be great if same can be done in object styles.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  EPub  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Multiple footnote referencing

I thought of a way to implement multiple references to the same footnote without breaking HTML links between footnotes.

You could allow for the creation of multiple footnote links from the text into footnotes that point to the same footnote, with a sequence of different secondary designations. For example, footnote 1a, 1b, 1c... all could point to Footnote 1. Then, in the footnote, you could open with 1 a b c ..., with the different letters providing alternate linkbacks to the other places in the text.

This is how Wikipedia handles multiple referencing to the same citation, so there's precedent.…

14 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Touch type tool for Opentype feature does not show up while setting the paragraph in "Adobe World-Ready Single-line/ Paragraph Composer"

Touch type tool for Opentype feature does not show up while setting the paragraph in "Adobe World-Ready Single-line/ Paragraph Composer". The script, in this case, found while using Thai with the Opentype font with alternate glyphs.

We can access the feature, but have to go through the top right hamburger conner to select the stylistic set manually. It is disturbing work-flow while typing in bilingual languages; Thai and Latin.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. When creating/editing a PDF Export Preset, please make the "View pdf after export" available again. It is currently gray'ed out.

It is currently gray'ed out during preset creation, but had been available for MANY previous versions. I hate it that my PDFs no longer open automatically in Acrobat after creation. I found it VERY useful.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Export All Comments

Hello,

I would like to request the ability to export all comments, whether from pins or drawn shapes, made on documents on assets.adobe.com. Once files are moved off of Creative Cloud, all comments are lost, so it would be great to be able to save comments for posterity prior to files being archived somewhere else.

Thank you.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Table border selection

When adjusting specific table border edges, targeting particular edges would be made faster if you could option-click on a line to select that line only and de-select all the other edges.

Currently you have de-select all the other edges individually.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. No Multi-Processor support for InDesign?

InDesign were and still is very slow. Now I work on an iMac 2017 with i7 processor with 4.2 GHz and Radeon Pro 580 8GB graphics with InDesign 14.0.1. The i7 is a Quadcore CPU but if InDesign works, it still works on just 1 Core! So InDesign ist still slow and the Beachball appears very often. Photoshop instead uses all the performance of this great machine.

Isn't it possible, to use all CPU-cores and maybe additionally the GPU with InDesign, to increase the performance?

66 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Color overlay FX

Right now Indesign has almost every effect as Photoshop, except Color Overlay.

Please add the Color Overlay effect to Indesign.

Aside from the obvious benefits, this feature would make changing the color of bitmap fonts so much easier than having to recolor them in photoshop, and import them as images into indesign.

21 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Other  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Snapping priority (ignore objects when in snapping distance from guideline and do not snap to outline)

When both options are active:
    - snap to objects
    - snap to guidelines.

InDesign behaves like schizophrenic making bad choices. And it is impossible to place objects on level.

Also InDesign snaps inner / outer outline of object to the guide, so when you have thin outlines (below one point) you never know to which side of outline object will be snapped and it will always be on different level than object without outline. And it creates mess.

Each time when there is a guide InDesign should snap to it in first place, ignoring the objects, and also object should…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Same Stroke behaviour as Illustrator please

Please make it possible to choose for Illustrator style strokes:
    -Strokes should not affect the dimensions of a shape*
    -Snapping should snap to the actual box, not the thickness of the Stroke

• in Illustrator, a Rectangle of 4x4cm, stays 4 x 4 cm, whatever Stroke is applied. In InDesign, a 4 x 4 cm rectangle, with a 1 cm centered stroke applied, becomes 5 x 5 cm. This makes working with grids very unpleasant.

InDesigns Strokes are very unusefull for trying out styles and thicknesses. Each time the Stroke width changes, the shape size changes along.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Liquid text fields for forms

Allow for text fields to expand (liquid) within middle of a sentence/paragraph. And be able to retain copy placeholder for forms when exporting to interactive PDFs

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Video - Object Style

Today I cannot add an object style to a video. I'm using object style to easy redefine layout. If I create a content holder I can define its size and location with object style. Once I add a video into the content holder, the object styles in the object style pane are disabled/grey.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Admin →

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base