1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to add alternate text to long hyperlinks

One of the suggested techniques for complying with WCAG 2.0 AA is to provide alternate text for long urls so that screen readers read the alt text rather than the url when tabbing through. This can only be done in acrobat at the moment. Which means it has to be done every time a PDF is created. We regularly amend our files and have many documents with many long (2 line) urls so it is going to be very time consuming to do this every time we create a PDF. I appreciate one way round it is to have human…

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Transparency is too fragile in Publish Online

I created some text overlays (saying "PROOF") as objects with no background fill, then set the objects to 30% transparency.

On publishing online, InDesign fills them with white, and some of the time also fails to produce the text.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PublishOnline  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Workspace – I have to re-create my workspace every time IND updates. Why?

Why can't IND remember the Workspace settings? Why do I have to go into preferences and move the windows around to the way they were before the update. This must be fairly straight-forward to implement, surely.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Smart Guides for Grid Spacing

In this feature Smart Guides would recognize grid spacing for object groups. So say you have three boxes equally spaced, you select all three, and alt drag to create duplicates below. Smart Guides would recognize the spacing you have in the first three boxes, and would apply that same perpendicular spacing to the three new boxes so you have a perfect grid spacing between all 6 boxes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. make Spell Check and Find/Change operate in page order rather than chronological order of text box creation

Find/Change and Spell Check seem to function in a random way (they actually search through text boxes in the order in which the boxes were created in the document). In a large document a user can become very confused about how much of the document is searched, especially if he makes changes mid-search.

It would be much more user friendly if the functions would operate in a page by page order.

30 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Icon looks too much like Premiere

Sometimes I accidentally click the wrong icon because the color of the two programs (that I both use) are close together...

Either changing the color or the logo (invert?) or both could help.

By the way, for the color blind the icons aren't very user friendly either.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Export a specific color separation directly to PDF without having to print to file first.

Let's say you have a file that's CMYK plus one spot color (let's say Pantone 123). You want to create a PDF file for print that is only the separation of the Pantone 123 spot color. What I have to do now is create the color separation first by printing to file, then distill the resulting .ps file.
    Can there be a way to directly export the color separation by using Export to Print PDF?
    Maybe there is a way to do this already, but I have not been able to find any info online on how to do this.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PDF Export  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Spellchecking and hyphenation anno 2019

The current spell checker is helpful, but also limited. The error detection rate is too low. Hyphenation error also occurs too often. (Both esp. in german language.) Artificial intelligence that maps the complete official dictionaries and spelling rules of each language should be added to the agenda and implemented. User dictionaries should only record WORDSAMENTS that contain words that are not in the official dictionary. Word forms and compound words should be derived from the rules.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Vertical tabs (for better vertical justification in/between para spacing)

There are already similar requests for a fix for the Vertical Justification problem & I'm dealing with this at the moment: several paragraphs & needing the bottom-most para (a 2-line inline table) to appear on the bottom line of the text frame. I have spent so many hours & tried setting it in a table (amongst other things) but, really, it makes more work & I need a Paragraph Border at the sides as a column rule - which was great in a table but which doesn't seem to work on the bottom table paragraph. I'd prefer it as non-table…

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Allow Lock on Table Rows

Allow locking rows in tables so that we can keep the top row in place on all pages, while being able to add/remove rows without the top row moving up/down the page.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Colorsettings in New Document dialog box

I would love to have the ability to choose my color settings (ICC profile, conversionsettings, etcetera) from within the new document dialog box. When I create a new document I would like to be able to define the colorsettings. Especially the color profile and rendering intent.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Automatic drilling-down in index preview when new entry is added

When I use the key combination Ctrl-Alt-Shift-[ to add a new index entry, I can't immediately tell if it worked. I have to scroll to the right spot in the index preview and drill down through the alphabet and layers of headings and subheadings to find the new entry and see that it looks as expected.

This really slows me down. I find myself doing this over and over again. And I have to do, it, because if for some reason the key combo didn't work (say, because one of the keys wasn't depressed enough) and I didn't notice, it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. text conversation in profile bugs in CC19

Text converting in outline bugs in CC19!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Text and Type  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Application In Use indicator

I bounce between InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop continuously and often realize after trying something that I'm in Illustrator, not InDesign. If there were a subtle unobtrusive way to indicate this, so it 'feels' like Illustrator that would be nice. I don't mean overboard, like Microsoft's Word blue, Excel's green. Something I can change until I find something I like. An indicator in the toolbar? Does this exist already and I don't know?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  UI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. More organization for CC Library files

I love the idea of using CC Libraries, but we have multiple versions of our logo built for different scenarios. We have different size logos built for a range of book spines, different colors depending on background, and logotype versions for specific product lines. Right now, I'm creating shorthand in the name of each element to differentiate them, but having metadata or notes for each item would help a lot. I could see the note popping up when you hover over an item. Another solution would be customizable sections within each Library. That way I could organize the logos within…

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Add a new menu item to the menu bar: Indexes

Ideally, indexing should have a menu all its own. The fact that it's only got a panel that opens from the Windows menu suggests it's an afterthought, and it's very limiting, because it means I can't create my own keyboard shortcuts for indexing functions.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ability to change default settings for new index entries

I use the I use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl-Alt-Shift-[ to add new index entries. But it defaults to "current page" and I don't want that because my document will be converted to ePub, and e-books don't have fixed pages. I want the default to be "next # of paragraphs: 1."

The ability to change the default settings for new index entries would solve my problem.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Problème Table des matières sous InDesign CC 2019

Bonjour.
    Sous InDesign CC 2019 il y a un problème pour générer un table des matières avec du texte placé dans un tableau. Cela fonctionnait dans les versions précédentes.
    Voir fichier exemple ci joint.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Tables  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. indesign 硬回车/软回车符号显示问题。

hi
    Mac OS 10.14
    indesign cc 2019