1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Convert PDF to INDD

Adobe Acrobat Pro DC can edit PDF's read images and text, and it is possible to edit, so why is this function not available in Adobe Indesign? Indesign has more control and the only feature that will needed to be added is detecting strokes/filled objects converting filled lines or shapes to one to the other.

202 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

42 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. GPU-Acceleration on Windows

It would be brilliant to have this as an option especially since more and more people are using high DPI/4K displays and the CPU is not capable of allowing for smooth zooming/scrolling/panning in most cases. It's working perfectly fine with Photoshop and rather good with Illustrator so I can't see why this shouldn't be possible with InDesign as well.
    On my 4K Dell XPS 15 it's quite a pain to scroll through the document or zoom in and out, laggy as hell although this is a very poweful machine!

123 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

40 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Dynamic baseline related unit of measurement

Please consider the addition of a dynamic unit of measurement that relates to the document’s baseline. Such a unit will make it possible to express various parameters throughout the design as a multiplication or division of the document’s baseline.

We would for example be able to express a header’s leading as twice the number of baselines, or a paragraph’s space after in any number of baselines.

The unit’s relation to the document‘s baseline means that it’s dynamic: whenever you change the baseline, all values expressed in this unit will change accordingly. There will be no more need to adjust these…

94 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Need more info  ·  Anonymous responded

Hi All,

This indeed a great suggestion. I wanted to understand a little more about this request.

1. The way this request is described its majorly about figuring out how to change the various text attributes in a single step rather than having to change multiple styles to make that happen. It would helpful if you can mention which all attributes you all would want to be dependent on the baseline (space before/after, size, leading any other).
    2. Which kind of documents (magazines, brochures, books etc.) do you see this to be more important for you.
    3. Wouldn’t a similar method (not sure if we could base it on baseline though!!) for changing the layout also help, if you could define the sizes of objects in relation to the page size. Do you think extending this feature to the layout also makes sense.
    4. If you can share some files…

4. Support for Multicores Performance

The most of us have powerful mutlicore computers. I think for sure indesign coult have a huge performance boost with Multicore support.

Until now only powerful 3D programs or video software uses that power. I think in addition of GPU Support it would be a significant performance boost with multi core support.

For an Example: i got a i7 Quad Core Mac. While writing a big PDF, indesign just uses 1 core.

50 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. SVG Export

InDesign should be able to export either entire pages or selections into SVG. The JavaScript for exporting SVG is crap. The export should also include the fonts as well as checkboxes from forms. Form fields are not supported in most of the plug-ins. SVG is a very important standard. We used ist for maps, layouts etc. shown as small preview e.g. the cover of a book, forms, adverts etc.

49 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. select similar

It would be helpful to have a select similar feature for lines and other drawn objects like in illustrator because sometimes I need to change a bunch of things to a different line weight and currently must manually find and change them. I always miss it when I'm working in Indesign instead of Illustrator.

45 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Select All Across Pages

PLEASE create an option to select all objects or text over the entire document instead of just the page/spread you're on. Making a universal change to the document, such as outlining the type is such a pain having to manually change from page to page. I've seen MULTIPLE threads online for the past 8 years of people requesting this, and it hasn't been resolved.

38 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Show Import Options when Dragging File from Finder

When Placing a file, there is an option to show Import Options. This is helpful for inserting a select range of pages. It would be helpful if this same option was available when dragging a PDF file from my Desktop/Finder. Often times, I will have my finder window open which contains my projects home directory. Simply dragging the PDF into the InDesign document is much quicker than having to go through the process of locating in File->Place route.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Integrate Macbook Pro Touchbar with InDesign

Hi!

I love Adobe InDesign and use it everyday for work. I recently upgraded to a Macbook Pro with a touchbar. Photoshop and Illustrator both support the customized touchbar feature and it is super efficient and awesome to have many tools right there on the touchbar.

As someone who uses InDesign more than the above mentioned adobe programs, I would LOVE to be able to use the touchbar feature in InDesign as well!

27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. make data merge possible from Google Sheet without being forced to make csv

I use DataMerge a lot and its really boring to be forced to export an update to csv when working in collaboration.
    If we could use directly the source file Google Sheet we could improve our workflow (Easy Catalog does it !)

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Add Australian dictionary to Indesign

Please add Australian Dictionary to Indesign. It was once doable but complicated to add the Hunspell dictionary to Indesign with earlier versions but now is impossible as the files that need changes are locked. I'm sure you have thousands of Australian users paying about $900 per year. This is a fix that I would have thought would only take five minutes to do

25 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. placing an .ai file with multiple art boards,

When placing an .ai file with multiple art boards, it would be an improvement if I could place by the art board name instead of number.

Example A file may contain an art board that is CMYK or Spot. The thumbnail looks the same. Its a waste of time if I place the wrong art board.

IT would make my work day more efficient and less frustrating.

24 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Find all except this Paragraph or Character Style

Add an option in (Find Format) tab of Find/Change window, We can exclude one or more style from search. For instance, find question mark in all styles, except (Body Copy Style).
    Instead of repeating the query for each style.

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Find/Change: search multiple formats, NOT & OR options, multiple changes, drop-downs

I work with books, some of them very long and complex. Because I'm strict about styles and consistency, and because the authors rarely are, I have to use Find/Change a lot. It is by far the part of InDesign that I find most lacking.

1. Instead of clicking to get to find format or change format options, pick from drop-down(s) right there on the F/C dialog. At least for styles (but ideally also for fonts, swatches, etc.).

2. Search multiple styles at once (but not all styles, as happens when you don't select one in the find format area). For example: find…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Expand file name & exported file name instead of task bar in background task palette

In the background task palette the progress is shown by a growing bar plus a percentage number (double feature for what reason?).

But there is not enough space to display the full file name and the name of the exported file (screenshot 1). Even if you enlarge the palette (screenshot 2) the only change is a bigger progress bar – and no change within displaying the file names.

Yes, I know: the full file names are displayed when I do a mouseover, but expanding the fields of the file names if you expand the whole palette would be a small…

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Media Panel is missing all playback settings for MP4 files in InDesign 2020

CC 2020 is missing all its control settings for playing MP4 files in an interactive pdf. Until this year's upgrade you had multiple options on what Controller Functions appeared when playing/displaying MP4's in an Interactive PDF document.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

21 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Improvement Indesign Accessibility Features

I use Indesign to create accessible PDFs but there are a few features that should be there.

TABLES
    Automatic Header Column and Header Row tagging. At the moment Header Column is recognized but not Header Row. If this was implemented you could go a step further and add ID tags and scope automatically. This would be a huge time saver since this all has to be done manually in Acrobat. It would also be nice to have an option to specify the Title of the table as a caption tag.

FOOTNOTES
    At the moment you have to add the proper…

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Export the complete Text

To make the text contents of a document available for other users or applications one should be able to export the whole text (meaning every piece of text in the whole document. To a single text file (rtf or txt). Currently I am able to this with a plugin
    (https://www.rorohiko.com/wordpress/indesign-downloads/text-exporter/) but I feel this should be within the scope of the program itself.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. GPU support on non Retina Macs

Please enable support for GPU utilisation on non Retina enabled screens. My graphics card is more than able to lever this ability, it's just my Mac 27" is not Retina.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. InDesign, and all other CC apps, should be ported to Linux

Linux is more efficient and secure than Windows or macOS. It also often has greater hardware compatibility and resource management, which would be useful when dealing with large projects.

This would be valuable for many users seeking to get the most out of their hardware, or who work with 3D rendering tools best suited to Linux setups.

Adobe already has a Unix base with the macOS version - surely a Linux version isn't too much of a head-scratcher for the devs.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base