1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Exclude Pages from Page Count

Please include an option to exclude certain pages of a document from the page count. I work with a lot of proposals that have page counts, but things like covers, table of contents, and tabs do not count. It's hard to keep track of the "counted" pages and having to go in and change the numbering every time I delete or insert a page. It would be great if you could right click on pages and say "exclude from page count" and the page count would continue on the next page.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Skip Page Numbers

Please create the option of deleting some pages from the numbering sequence. I use tabs in my documents and being able to skip them from the automatic numbering would save me so much time.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. InDesign Templates and Style updates

I start by making an InDesign template and incorporating all the object and paragraph styles I think I'll need. Then from my template I create my first document. However, as I proceed with actual content on that document I find I want to modify some styles, add new ones, etc.

There does not seem to be a way to have my template updated automatically with those style changes/additions. This would be a great help because my template is no longer usable as an "old version". So, I have to save my new document onto and replace that older template (without…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enable Hyperlinks to Stay Live in PDFs ... Even After Importation into InDesign

Hi folks

We have figured out a 'work-around' to the problem of maintaining live hyperlinks in PDFs throughout the entire exporting/importing process in InDesign. However, it's purely a bandaid - although it works well. It would be great to have this process built in as a feature. I've attached a PDF with our workflow methodologies for your review.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Duplicate Page, without the new page jumping to the end of the doc. This is valuable since I need to print doublesided-same art

Duplicate Page, without the new page jumping to the end of the doc. This is valuable since I need to print doublesided-same art. Page1-2 is one same card; Pg 3-4 on same card, etc.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Make page dimensions from Page Tool and Page Setup match

I'll often have to change the size of page using the Page Tool. The problem is that if anyone opens the Document Setup dialogue box, it only shows what the original dimensions of the page are – not the actual dimensions.

When there are multiple pages in a document with various sizes, the Document Setup dialogue window should notify that that's the case.

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Hyperlink through ENTIRE book.

Hyperlink pages throughout an entire book. You can only link on the current pages of a document and not the book - I've a 100 page + document and I've to combine it into one doc - madness!

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Microsoft Office Compatibility

Documentation, documents and colors in Microsoft Word document come in differently.

It would be much better for us to work more with Office programs.

Please fix it.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Vertical Facing Pages

A document pages setup option for vertical facing pages for things like calendars, and other types of documents would be really helpful.

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. New file icons (cc 2018) a step back

Just wanted to bring up something that is hindering my workflow as-of-late - the new file icons for Adobe (using Mac).

I find that the new icons are abrasive visually, but beyond that the function is a bit of a setback. For instance, I used to be able to tell the difference between an .indd file and an .idml file even at the smallest icon size, because there was a distinct difference between the two. Now, however, the difference is so subtle, given that the color/shape of the icons are nearly identical, save a little beveled corner that is indistinguishable…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Create a new document based on selected pages of an existing indesign document.

I would like to be able to select pages within an existing InDesign document and create a new document using those pages, much like you can with layers in photoshop.

In photoshop when you select 'duplicate layer(s)' you have the option of duplicating them into different documents, including a new one. When I am designing a business card for a client, for example, I present multiple options. I will make all of the options in one document as separate pages. When they choose one I would like to be able to select the specific pages and duplicate them straight to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Footnotes from all text frames and tables on every page

My booklets almost always have a complex layout with some (2-5) tables with visible or invisible borders and (2-5) text frames *on one page*.
    I need there a consistent numbering of footnotes at the end of the page or spread from *all* tables and text frames on that page (separate for every page). I.e. real footnotes *for the whole page* not for a single text frame.

A lot of people for sure have the same issue.

New endnotes feature in October 2017 update does not resolve the problem at all.

This input may be closely related to “Please make it…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Document/Pages  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Keeping the format when updating the spreadsheet link indesign data merge

After creating a linked data merge file, you can then go in and edit certain field. But, if the excel sheet needs updating, you then have to 'data merge' again and lose all formatted text/images etc. There are third party apps, like WordsFlow, but this is expensive. Please have this feature in InDesign! Thankings.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Please, please turn off the automatic hyphenation in a document. This hyphenates all words at the end of all lines.

Please turn off automatic hyphenation. I publish in other languages in which any hyphenation must be manually inserted.

At the moment the automatic hyphenation places a hyphen at the end of nearly every line. This totally destroys the readability of the language.

I know that you can untick the box for every style in every chapter, but this adds a burden-and time- to the task.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Total book pages variable

It would be VERY USEFUL to have a variable for the total pages of the book that updates automatically.
    Personally I tremendously need it !!

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Increase section prefix 8 character limit

Can only have a section prefix of 8 letters. Would be nice to remove this limitation.

Any reason why a limit was imposed? Does it serve any purpose?

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Can Idml file open with his own name

When I open .idml file in InDesign, it opens as Untitled-# document. Is it possible that when I open .idml it opens as the filename instead of "Untitled-#"? Because I have received some many idml files, I am spending time save as file into INDD.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Closed: Fixed  ·  Anonymous responded

Hi All, this feature is now added in the latest version of InDesign i.e. InDesign 13.1.

You can upgrade your InDesign to get access to this feature.

Regards
    Javed

19. Duplicate spreads/pages must merged with Move Spreads/pages and provide a dialog instead of dropping duplicates in the end of the current do

The pages, duplicated through "duplicate page menu" are placed after the last page, which is usually the last page of the cover. They aren't needed there. Frankly speaking they are needed elsewhere. The duplicated spread should provide a dialog similar to moving page with the same options. That why it is user friendly to merge those options in one dialog.

Even the current implementation of the move dialog would work if the option to keep the moved pages was awailable for the current document. I don't understand why it was blended out in the first place.

The dialog must be…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Make it easier to reorder and group pages.

Not that I want inDesign to be Keynote, but they're kicking butt in the page re-ordering department. I make presentations a lot in inDesign, and re-ordering, nesting and duplicating pages is a huge pain.
    In Keynote you can move them around, group them, duplicate sections, nest them and a few other things, with no problem. inDesign's pages window is due for a reboot.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base