1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Better Stroke Styles with Gap color

This is actually a crossover between objects and styles. When I do a custom striped stroke style with a gap color, the gap color peeks out behind the stroke. It appears both in InDesign and in the resulting PDF. That background color should not show.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Select multiple, discontinuous paragraphs

When applying paragraph styles throughout a document, it is only possible to select multiple continuous paragraphs in one go. If I want to style all first level headings, for example, I have to click on each, apply the paragraph style and repeat and repeat and repeat... Often finding the appropriate style requires scrolling in the paragraph styles window. It would be very useful, and much quicker, to be able to select all headings and apply Head A (or whatever) in one click. This might be achieved by clicking in the paragraphs with a keyboard combination pressed or, as was done…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Offer "set number value" for a numbered list item

Could you make it possible to right-click a numbered list item so that we can make it start at any number we like?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. ‘nth of type’ conditions for paragraph styles

In CSS, we can use an nth-of-type() selector to define behaviour for the nth instance of a style. For example, we can make all paragraphs have a first line indent, but use nth-of-type(1) to remove the indent from the first paragraph on the page. This feature also supports (odd) and (even) values for n.

This feature would be extremely useful in Indesign for a range of use cases. Importantly, it would eliminate the need for several styles when typesetting multiple-paragraph block quotes, interview dialogue (indenting/outdenting), drop caps on chapter openings, etc.

For full flexibility, I imagine the feature would offer…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Styles Option on New Document Settings.

I see far too many younger designers not know how to use or simply refuse to use paragraph styles, character styles, layers, and even master pages.

I'd love to see these options available in the open new document settings, just as we pick the page size, margins and gutters, I'd like styles to be an option.

As a frequent contract designer, there's nothing worse than going into someone else's InDesign document and spending more time organizing the file, making sure the entire document is formatted properly with the correct styles, separating items in proper layers... Anything to help new documents…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Use Image in Paragraph Style

It would be nice and super useful to have the ability to use images instead of solid colors in paragraph styles. for example:
    image as text character color (like clipping), image as paragraph shading background, border image, rule image, image as the bullet, etc.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Nested Styles - Add more options to apply them to END of a paragraph

When creating a nested style, the only options we have for its activation point are [through] or [up to] . This means they're designed to have an affect only at the START of a paragraph, and to work only from left to right. This is very inflexible, and it's frustrating to work around, especially if we want particular style variation to occur somewhere at the END of paragraph.

It would be really helpful if in addition to the two existing options, you added ones like [after] or [after first instance of] or [after nth instance of] or [before last instance…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Character style in brush form so I can just set it and highlight parts of text and the brush does the rest.

Character style in brush form so I can just set it and highlight parts of text and the brush does the rest.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. I am designing a book with message bubbles, wish you had a variety of them in paragraph shading. Perhaps paragraph custom "shapes."

I am designing a book with message bubbles, I so wish you had a variety of them in paragraph shading. Perhaps you could add custom paragraph "shapes."

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Search bar in Paragraph/Character/Object

Search bar in Paragraph/Character/Object

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Right click a Style Sheet, Find this Style

For years I've been hoping for an option to right click a a specific style to FIND THIS STYLE in the document. Because we all name them differently, I sometimes need to find a Style in the document, rather than click all over the place to hunt it down.

I'm currently working with a manual that I did not create. There are 30 or 40 styles I have to clean up. I love the Select All Unused option, but now I have styles that I know I'm not using and they're still showing as existing somewhere in the document.

Please…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add a feature that allows you to predefine paragraph style spacing based on which style comes before or after it

I have set up some paragraph styles in my InDesign document that have space-before and space-after set on them. Some of the styles are for headers. When the headers precede a regular paragraph, I want the space to be there, but when they precede another header, I want there to be less space. In web development, I can write rules in CSS that say things like this:

p { margin-top:10px; }
    h2 + p { margin-top:5px }

I am able to make the margin-top narrower on a <p> tag that is immediately preceded by an <h2> tag, but otherwise, it's…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Need a tutorial on forcing a paragraph style to actually work

I've been sporadically hunting for a year on how to force a paragraph style to actually work in a text box. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Yes, I've tried the option bit. All I want is for the right margins to be the same, and to have a bottom margin that will keep the last line X amount of line-height from the bottom of the text box.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Using local alphabets in Numering Style Format (Paragraph Styles)

We have only two character formats "A, B, C, D ..." and "a, b, c, d ..." except digital. But many of us work with texts in languages with other alphabets, which are also used as indexes of lists. It would be nice to have formats of local alphabets depending on the language chosen for the paragraph. For example, if the Russian language is selected for the paragraph, then in the list of character formats, except the Latin alphabet, there will be a Russian "А, Б, В, Г..."
    This property should not depend on whether the localized or English version…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Easier crosschecking, resetting and copying throughout all styles

We are working with at least ten different paragraph styles per document. If there are changes to be made in the CIs we have to check every single style: Opening up the Paragraph Style Options window, changing, closing, next style, reapeat... forgetting something and opening all windows again to check.
    -> How about a button in the Paragraph Style Options window to jump to the previous or next style in the list? (might be useful to every kind of Style Option window)

In the Paragraph Style Options window there is a Reset to Base button only under General.
    -> I…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Keyboard Shortcut for Adopting Paragraph Style Sheets

1. Using the text tool, click in a paragraph.

2. Hold Option & Shift, then click a Style Sheet formatted paragraph

3. The paragraph that had the text tool in it is now formatted to the [Option/Shift] clicked paragraph's Style Sheet.

This is one of the most time saving keyboard shortcuts from Quark Xpress.

This saves countless hours for anyone formatting text, albeit a tri-fold, or a 1,000 page catalog.

PS: If you're going to mention Command/Return to bring up Style Sheets, this is not time saving. The user still has to scroll the curser around to select the Paragraph/Character Style Sheet, removing…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Object style with rotation option

Please make an object style option to include rotation with a reference point.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Utilize paragraph shading for text messages with improved functionality

The new paragraph shading feature would be fantastic to use for laying out text message conversations in books, but needs a few tweaks to make is fully functional. Text messages in books is becoming very common.

It used to be that you had to create shapes and anchor each in for a text message. Now you can use Paragraph Shading defined in the style for left side texts with no adjustments, but because right side text messages need to have the "bubble" shape aligned right, but the interior text left aligned. My solution is (see sample file):
    Create three base…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Reset to base for one single parameter of a paragraph/character/etc. style

I wish there was an easy way to just reset one specific parameter of a style to base ([ignore]).

For example:
    I have paragraph style p2 which is based on p1. I previously overwrote the Font Style of p2 but now I decided to change it back to inherit the Font Style of its base style (p1). It would be nice to have some way to do that only for the Font Style. Not for the Font Family or Size or any other parameter. Maybe by option–, cmd- or right-clicking on the parameter's name...?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base