When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add section number (^x) in Paragraph Style / Bullets and Numbering / Number

The ability to add the section number in Paragraph Style / Bullets and Numbering / Number.

Currently, chapter number (^H) works but section number (^x) does not.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Style counters

I would find very helpful to have a counter near any style (in particular for tables, but can work with other styles too) that enlights the number of items to whom is assigned the style and add a function, similar to the error panel, in which one can scroll to the elements, double clicking, and be brought to the item itself.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Consistent arrowhead styles

It would be helpful to have the same arrowhead options available for InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop. Sometimes I need to quickly create a legend in InDesign to match a diagram create in Illustrator, but the options for arrowhead styles are limited/different.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. quick key for paragraph styles

I cannot create a quick key to apply a paragraph style. I do not have a numbers keyboard on my mac. I know I used to be able to do this before. Its a real time saver... please help!

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Character Style contestual to Paragraph Style

Suppose you have a text, for example an introduction, with some word (i.e. titles) in Italic in it. Now you decide that this text must be in Italic. So, all the titles in it that were in Italic must be in plain.
    In CSS this is easy to do; you'll have something like span.title { font-style: italic; } with the variant p.intro span.title { font-style: normal; }.
    I think it's a necessity quite frequent. In other similar scenario you may have to use different colors, different weights.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Checkbox to exclude styles from output in »edit all export tags« panel

I'd love to exclude styles to be output into HTML, EPUB, etc. with a simple checkbox in the »edit all export tags« panel. Up to now, I have to delete styles that I don't want in the export every time before the export. The checkbox would save a lot of time with recurring work as journals etc.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Vignette effect for frames

Hi guys,

This would be a killing feature. There's NO WAY to automatically assign a vignette effect to a photo frame. I order to do that I have to:

1) Emulate the effect . by assigning inner shadow to a frame. This is kind of ok but it has probblems: it's not a propper vignette (vignettes actually affect corners, kind of a radial gradient) and there is no way to apply a size that is relative to the frame (I know, this is not even possible anywhere).

2) On a picture, I can select the content of the frame (the…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Implementing "Grep styles" like a "Character style"

Grep styles deserve to be used like any existing style.

This means:
    1 - Having a panel where we can create/modify/ delete any grep style (similar use as the Character style panel)

2 - Having the Paraph.style/Grep styles section revamped.
    There, a drop down list allows the user to select existing Grep styles (If any)

3 - a "+" button allows to add and implement some more Grep styles
    This allows to use multiple grep styles

The added value is to create only once a list of grep style actions. They can then be connected to paragraph styles easily.

This…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Spec Sheet for Paragraph Styles

I recently came across the need to print out a spec sheet of paragraph style settings from INDD. We're working with an outside vendor who is programming a proposal builder platform for our business development team. Basically, my design team created branded layout templates in INDD. We gave the vendor our native files, but their programmers need a written spec sheet of all the paragraph style attributes. From the paragraph style palette, when you go into each style, you can see the style settings, but you can't copy that text, nor export the settings as a spec sheet. I doubt…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Suppress Running Header on Chapter first page

Add a setting to Running Header to NOT DISPLAY if current page contains <chapterTitle> style.

This permits a document to reflow, changing pagination, while always suppressing the Running Header on the first page of a chapter. In this way, many documents would retain proper chapter start formatting without having to manually go through and apply a special Master Page (and remove the previous Master Page) whenever pagination changes.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Default frame size

I'd like a preference setting to preset the frame width for when you paste text into InDesign.
    By default, the text frames are 52,917 mm wide (which is 150 pt, but some of us work with mm); I'd like to set the default to a different value, say 100 mm.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Column Guides and Text Wrapping

Can Ignore Text Wrap be an option in the properties for Column Rules? As an instructional designer in a team, we often have screenshots of the UI, with a text wrap of Jump, at the top of the left column in a two column layout. Currently, that forces the column rule to begin below the image, see screenshot.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Style mapping.

It would be great to be able to see a tree of styles to easily see which ones are based on which without having to open each style. Picking up a file from a messy designer and tidying up the styles can take hours without this feature.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. 3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. underline outdent/indents

The border and rules have options to outdent or indent, but the underline style does not. Sometimes you need a character style to highlight a word, and the only way to do that is with the underline style. It doesn't look great when there is no space on either side of the highlight, so you need to add extra spaces before and after the word. Can this be added to the underline style options?

Maybe it should be a new feature called ”highlight.” It would work like Microsoft Word but with options.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Nested Styles - Add more options to apply them to END of a paragraph

When creating a nested style, the only options we have for its activation point are [through] or [up to] . This means they're designed to have an affect only at the START of a paragraph, and to work only from left to right. This is very inflexible, and it's frustrating to work around, especially if we want particular style variation to occur somewhere at the END of paragraph.

It would be really helpful if in addition to the two existing options, you added ones like [after] or [after first instance of] or [after nth instance of] or [before last instance…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. alt/option + new style

When you want to create a new style and have the window pop up immediatly, you have to alt+click on ne "new style" button.
    The window should pop up when you simply click the "new style" button. This should be the same for other panels such as the swatches panel.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Section Styles

Often we need to apply styling, such as a shaded background, to not just an individual paragraph, but to a SECTION which is composed of multiple paragraphs.

There is no easy way to do this via style sheets. Duplicating all the individual paragraph styles again and adding the 'shaded' properties to each one is way too tedious and fussy.

It would be nice if we could have SECTION STYLES. This would function like a 'wrapper' encompassing multiple paragraphs. That way we could select a passage of text and easily apply things like shading, borders, and indents to it. See attached…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Styles  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Add a feature that allows you to predefine paragraph style spacing based on which style comes before or after it

I have set up some paragraph styles in my InDesign document that have space-before and space-after set on them. Some of the styles are for headers. When the headers precede a regular paragraph, I want the space to be there, but when they precede another header, I want there to be less space. In web development, I can write rules in CSS that say things like this:

p { margin-top:10px; }
    h2 + p { margin-top:5px }

I am able to make the margin-top narrower on a <p> tag that is immediately preceded by an <h2> tag, but otherwise, it's…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Better Stroke Styles with Gap color

This is actually a crossover between objects and styles. When I do a custom striped stroke style with a gap color, the gap color peeks out behind the stroke. It appears both in InDesign and in the resulting PDF. That background color should not show.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base