2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

148 results found

1. Index - import topics

To be able to import file as a starting point to creating an index.

For example – I have a huge index to create and a seperate file with a list of all the individual entries (not a made up index, just a basic file with a list item on a new line). I want to be able to iport this document into the index panel and create topics from each item. As now I have to copy each item create a new entry paste then create it.

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Endnotes from different documents at the end of a book

When working in a book with several documents and endnotes in each dokument, it would be natural to have it at the print them at the end of the book (Mac)

22 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Auto-activate adobe fonts in book panel

It would be helpful if InDesign could auto-activate any Adobe Fonts used in individual documents when adding them to a book file in the Book Panel.

Currently InDesign displays a message warning about missing fonts/reflow etc and the only way to activate the fonts is to open each document in turn and go through the activation process separately for every document.

It would be helpful to have the option to have InDesign activate any of these missing fonts that are available on Adobe Fonts automatically when a document is added, or as a book-wide feature like syncing.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Table of Contents

Table of Contents styles should be able to take a selected page range, and generate a TOC based on only that page range.

Many books have multiple TOCs these days — a master TOC up front, and TOCs at the beginning of each chapter or section, and often a hidden TOC that is used to generate PDF bookmarks.

Being able to limit page ranges would mean less manually edited of generated TOCs, faster TOC generation, and needing to use fewer paragraph/character styles to handle them!

80 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Table of Contents: Character Style Improvements

TOCs need to be able to do three different things with character styles that are included in text in a generated TOC:

1. The Character Style stays present in the TOC (this is currently what InDesign does)
    2. The Character Style is stripped.
    3. The Character Style is mapped to another character style.

These settings should accessible in the Style: <stylename> section of the TOC options -- customizable for each paragraph style used to generate the TOC.

The most notable use for the mapping style is when the typeface between the TOC and the body text of the book differs, or when the…

72 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Importar pdf com várias páginas de forma automática

Utilizo o script para importar pdf com muitas páginas, porém, as páginas importadas chegam no tamanho da minha página (ou até maior). Gostaria que ocorresse a importação de forma que as páginas importadas respeitassem as margens do meu documento.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Texto de tabelas auto ajustar (quando importadas)

Trabalho com documentos longos (média de 500 páginas) e nesses documentos recebo centenas de tabelas. Muitas tabelas são numerais, e quando o número é maior que o tamanho da célula, o software trunca para um ponto vermelho e indica um erro, mesmo quando ainda existe espaço na página para ajustar o tamanho da coluna.
    O software poderia ajustar o tamanho da célula para caber o conteúdo escrito.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. text reflow

When a document is really long (say 1000 pages) any new page break earlier in the document makes the document slow down as it clunks through the rest of the document. Is there a way to temporarily halt document reflows?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Table of Contents - Allow master page items

To my knowledge, master page items still don't populate the Table of Contents in Indesign without overriding the master page item.

Problem with this is it defeats the purpose of the master page item.

For instance, I have a large manual, in which the chapters are included in a master page layout. The text in the master page item is auto generated using the Special Character - Marker - Section Marker feature, so all I have to do is start a new section in my document.

But the TOC will not take that text from the master page, unless I…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Endnotes--better coordination Word to InDesign

In the newer versions of ID, they very helpfully allow endnotes to be linked to the numbers in the text (so that, if you delete the number, the note itself is also deleted, and all renumber accordingly). However, when you import/place a Word file of text that has endnotes, the endnotes get placed into a separate text box, and it is obnoxious. I want to put the endnotes in the same text flow as everything else, but you can’t copy and paste because the notes are linked, and the numbers will get deleted from the text if you try to…

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Allow more formatting of running heads

I'm working on a book whose running heads use both bold and roman type. (Chapter 1: Chapter title where "Chapter 1:" is bold and "Chapter TItle" is roman. As far as I know, I can't use variables or automatic section heads to format this way so have resorted to having a separate master page for each chapter.

51 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Making imported PDF edit more obvious in InDesign and fixing delays with mouse clicks

As a book designer who works with many long manuscripts, I do appreciate being able to import PDF edits into InDesign. That is a great new feature in the last few versions.

However, some edits are just too hard to spot in a spread. One can easily spot highlighted text (such as when the editors mark a phrase for deletion or replacement). But when the editors insert or delete commas and periods or choose a spot where they want to add new text, there is nothing obvious -- beyond a skinny, nearly invisible cursor -- to draw the eye. The…

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Select multiple objects/images across spreads

Please develop a way to select multiple object or images across multiple spreads. I have a 300+ page document that needs all images nudged slightly up or down.

32 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Expand on notes

Expand on notes to include anchors on ranges of text and shapes. Additionally, allow notes to display on margins when exporting to PDF.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. character styles stay/strip/replace in VARIABLES

Headers created with Variables need to be able to do three different things with character styles that are included in text :

1. The Character Style stays present in the VARIABLE ;
    2. The Character Style is stripped.
    3. The Character Style is mapped to another character style.

These settings should accessible in the Style: <stylename> section of the TOC options -- customizable for each paragraph style used to generate the TOC.

The most notable use for the mapping style is when the typeface between the TOC and the body text of the book differs,…

25 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. 'Even' and 'odd' pages from consecutive files in an InDesign book will not combine on a spread when exporting to PDF

When exporting a book with multiple InDesign files to PDF the last 'even' page from document 'x' needs to combine with the first 'odd' page of the next document on a spread.
    So let's say document 1 is from page 1-6 and document 2 is from page 7 to page 50, pages 6 and 7 need to merge onto a spread when exporting to PDF. It will now make separate pages, while the pages from one and the same document do come out as spreads.

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Show Preview whole Indesign Book

When working in an Indesign Book, I can work on individual Indesign documents. But when I need an overview of the whole Book, to check concistency in Lay-out, Design, colours etcetera, I have to export a Pdf everytime when pages are re-designed. That is pretty annoying. I would like to see a Lay-out preview of all pages in a fast way by just "flipping a switch" on or off as if all pages were in one document.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Glyphs reseting

I use "Find/Change > Glyph" to replace some Bulgarian (BGR)/Russian (RUS) glyphs to Macedonian (MK) ones. But, when I ALT click on a altered paragraph style (with + sign next to it) which contains the MK glyphs -- they are reseted to BGR/RUS glyphs.
    Please, fix it.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Create Picture Index with Page numbers

I need to edit documents with hundreds of pages and I use Paragraph Styles to create automatic alphabetical indexes that will work has hyperlinks when I export do PDF.

Nevertheless, sometimes it's more practical to have a picture índex when working with product catalogues.
    It would be very usefull to have the Content collector tool to allow to create automatic hyperlinks to the page where I collected the pictures in order to create na automatic Picture Index with page numbers.

The attached file makes it easy to understand.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Index that can find grammatical cases

Making index of names, ID can´t find anything else than basic names, not genetives, like Hovi/Hovin. Find and replase you can find names by putting ̭ "any mark"-marks of the end of the name, Hovi⋀$. Could you make ID better by fixing this problem for we finnish grammar using users :)

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base