1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback

148 results found

1. The possibility to attach different colours to documents in the Book panel.

The possibility to attach different colours to documents in the Book panel.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

How important is this to you?

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  2. Make it easier to find the option for 4-page spreads.

The User Guide needs to include information about creating 4-page spreads. For book editing, seeing 8 pages at a time is great (on a larger monitor screen, which as a book publisher I use.). The Page function allows a 4-page spread, or more, when the user disables the Shuffle setting and drags and connects 4 pages together horizontally in the page view. Fine. I found this out on some non-Adobe graphic design forum by luck. This wasn't anywhere in the Adobe InDesign help or user information that I could find. Include this in the User Guide! Improve it so it's…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Make Table of Contents menu robust and intuitive

Make Table of Contents intuitive. It's a powerful tool, and yet difficult to set up even for an experienced user. The navigate the setup menu is static but closes every time. The explanations are poor, and impossible to navigate without watching a bunch of tutorials (and the user manual is not helpful either). Because the layout formating is done in paragraph styles it's difficult to know what and where to change to get a specific result. This software is supposed to make creating a long document easy and yet formatting a TOC requires so much pre-knowledge without any directions in…

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Rearranging Pages

It would be helpful to have a way to view multiple spreads at the same time, like a better "click to split the layout view". First off it would save me a lot of scrolling back and forth trying to see other spreads. This could also be a way to make organizing the pages easier. It's hard to rearrange pages of texts from small thumbnail images in a larger document. If this could incorporate an easier workflow for organizing and numbering pages that would be great, to be able to hide a section of pages. I do use multiple documents…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. data merge for interactive elements

Data merge in Indesign works great, but only with text and images. Is it possible to make data merge possible for documents with interactive elements with buttons or hyperlinks for example?

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Synchronize footnote settings in books and number across document

Regarding using books and footnotes: I really, really wish the footnote settings were something you could synchronize when synching your book. Also, I wish there was an option to continue numbering throughout the individual documents. Currently, if you do not have your whole document threaded, it will restart the footnote numbering, so I have to set it to restart numbering at each page (or section).
    I frequently have books with a dozen different chapters and would like the footnotes to number sequentially within each chapter; and it would be one less thing to remember to edit if the document footnote…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Convert all Live Captions to Static Captions

I would like the ability to convert all Live Captions to Static Captions. Currently, you can only do one at a time by selecting the caption, and selecting the menu item to convert (or create a hotkey).

When working with a long document with a lot of images, you can't use character styles with Live Captions. But once you convert to static captions, paragraph styles can then call character styles (nested, GREP). If you have a long book or catalog with a lot of images that rely on up-to-date captions, but then require character styles (for example, an image from…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add ability to export BOOK files (INDB) as IDMLs (or similar)

I have a customer who wanted me to export a book for them for translation, but wanted ALL IDML files. We create larger books using InDesign, which will export documents (via package) as IDMLs, but not books (INDB). I'm not really sure what the problem is on the other end, re-assembling this book using the INDB and IDMLs, but the customer insists on needing an IDML for the BOOK. Nothing in forums says this can be done, direct contact with Adobe support says it can't be done, so we are at an impass. Support person suggested entering a request, so…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Table of contents update only page numbers

Like in MsWord, it would be a nice feature to update the table of contents and update only the numbers, or update text and numbers together. Sometimes people change long words in a table of content just to fit a header into one line of text. Or they add a few words behind the header just to make the table of content easier to understand. When updating the table of content then it would be nice if you could choose to update only the numbers.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Data merge

Recently I started using InDesign to make user manuals, but I wanted to make it easier to adapt it to the multiple products. I would like you to add an option where I can use multiple categorie variations on the same page underneath each other for the multiple languages that I need to include in the manual.

Thanks in advance!

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Additional View Options

I would like to be able to view my pages in a grid format, similar to viewing art boards in a grid in Illustrator, for ease of design review across many pages and spreads.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Being able to change Topic Levels in indices after they have been added to the index

After a topic has been added to the index, it’s no longer possible to e.g. move the current topic to Topic Level 2 and add a new Topic Level 1. Would be amazing if it was.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. index

Right now the cross-referenc markers in the index cannot be modified. They are set to e.g. see or see also. They cannot be switched easily to another language. So everytime a document is translated those cross-reference markers need to be translated manually in the document (find & replace) which means that everytime the Index is updated or the document is translated again the markers again have to be translated.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Improve handling of long footnotes

Handling of long footnotes could be improved in at least three ways:

1. Sometimes a footnote absolutely cannot start on the same page as its reference either because the given footnote follows so closely behind a very long footnote (or a dense cluster of shorter footnotes). Presently, InDesign simply stops setting text at that point, as it would when a hits a word it cannot fit into any subsequent frame in the story. Ideally such footnotes would be not only be permitted but be custom-labelable—e.g. “(from p. 17)”—but for now simply permitting such footnotes, elegantly or not, would be a far…
    4 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Text + Format comparison between two InDesign files

Hello,

I just want to start eBook creation. I have many different users to write content from manual book. I need files from few users(at least two) to compare them with Text + Format comparison to minimize human errors like spell mistakes, format mistakes etc. I need it as basic feature to me to purchase InDesign as I am really impressed with all other features. But without this comparison feature it is baseless to me. Can you please provide me update is it possible in near future and some solid plans if you are okay.

Or else if you can…

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. You really, really need to have indexing across documents/chapters in books!!!!

a necessity, not an idea. To quote another user:
    Wow, Book Function has no index? Are you serious? Every serious non-fiction book must have a full index at the end. Why even use the Book Function, if the index doesn’t appear at the end of the whole book?

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Have a paragraph style call a master page

Particularly useful if preparing a book with chapters. This would allow the opening page of a chapter to use a different master page than the rest of the document. Then, if the book is edited and the text reflows, chapter starts would still have the correct master. I can think of other uses, such as when an image is designed to bleed off a page and you don't want the headers to print. There are lots more.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. table of content popup

the table of content popup UI needs updating. When working on long docs with many paragraph styles, and many levels of TOC. There's a lot of scrolling involved.

Let us resize the window so we can see more paragraph styles / TOC levels at once.

Or even just copy word's interface, although not great, but it a lot more useable.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Present cross references in alphabetical order

In a large document with hundreds of cross references, hunting for the right cross reference is a disaster. The list is in some random order (or maybe last made, first shown?). Presenting these alphabetically based on paragraph text (including numbers from variables such as caption numbers!) woul dbe enormously helpful.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. TOC Page number BEFORE and align number RIGHT automatically

InDesign has offered the ability to put the page number before the text entry in a generated table of contents for quite some time. However, if you have more than 10 pages, pages 1-9 don't align right (as they should - or if more than 100 pages, 1-99). It would be great if you could have that done automatically without adding a tab stop in the paragraph style and manually adding a tab before each page number.

5 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base