Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

When entering a new feature request, please provide:

1. Description
2. Why is this valuable to you?

Thank you.

How can we improve InDesign?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Put spinners back in Object>Tranform

Bug, oversight, or poor design has eliminated the spinners that allow me to efficiently resize and reposition an object. Please put them back - I use them constantly.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Please add "expand stroke" option

I do a lot of drawing in Indesign and often need to "expand" strokes. This feature exists in Illustrator and I use it frequently, but the round-trip is cumbersome and time-consuming. Please bring this basic feature over to ID.

5 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Create strokes/guides for Production purposes.

When creating a layout that requires fold lines, these strokes could be placed across the layout BUT only show up in the slug/bleed area. This would eliminate 2 smaller strokes on either side of the doc or one continuous stroke with a white box over the center portion.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Take into account alternate layouts when generating / updating tables of contents

Create a (say) 20-page A4 document with a table of contents (sections, subsections and whatever).
          Then create an alternate layout of this document, for an A5 paper size. This should make the A5 version about 40 pages long.

We can create and update the table of contents for the A4 layout, but we cannot specify a 2nd ToC for the A5 layout, that takes into account the page numbers, as they are adjusted in the alternate layout(s). If we link the A4 ToC to the A5 layout, its contents will display the pagination of the A4 version.

In my current…

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Smart Guides for Grid Spacing

In this feature Smart Guides would recognize grid spacing for object groups. So say you have three boxes equally spaced, you select all three, and alt drag to create duplicates below. Smart Guides would recognize the spacing you have in the first three boxes, and would apply that same perpendicular spacing to the three new boxes so you have a perfect grid spacing between all 6 boxes.

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow different coloured/weight strokes for sides of text box

That way you could make the left and right sides of a box to have zero weight, which essentially gives you rules above and below a text box, but in a box that can be changed in shape and size

62 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

In backlog  ·  15 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Vertical tabs (for better vertical justification in/between para spacing)

There are already similar requests for a fix for the Vertical Justification problem & I'm dealing with this at the moment: several paragraphs & needing the bottom-most para (a 2-line inline table) to appear on the bottom line of the text frame. I have spent so many hours & tried setting it in a table (amongst other things) but, really, it makes more work & I need a Paragraph Border at the sides as a column rule - which was great in a table but which doesn't seem to work on the bottom table paragraph. I'd prefer it as non-table…

3 votes
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Align Stroke to guides

I want to be able to align or snap the stoke of an object to the guides based on the selected Align Stroke. Right now if I have a rectangle with a stroke of 6pt and the Align Stroke is set to center, when I approach a guide it snaps on the top of the object instead of the center of the stroke.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• 1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• Applying Master pages to 'all even' or 'all odd' pages

Applying Master pages to 'all even' or 'all odd' pages - would be handy when working with large documents, rather than manually typing or cmd+shift the pages to include.

53 votes
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        Need more info  ·  Anonymous responded

Hi All, thanks for this feature suggestion.

If I understand this correctly the idea here is that you need a faster way to be able to apply Master Pages to the various pages in the document. One use case is that you want to apply a particular master page to Even and Odd pages.

Are there other such scenarios too, where you need more support. It would be helpful if you can mention other such scenarios.

Thanks

• Animated zoom even without HiDPI screen. My Indesign CC doesn't support the feature yet my Illustrator CC on the exact same system setup doe

Animated zoom even without HiDPI screen. My Indesign CC doesn't support the feature yet my Illustrator CC on the exact same system setup does and is buttery smooth. Surely if Illustrator can do it on the exact same system Indesign can too?

3 votes
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Please allow placed PSD layer blend modes to carry over into InDesign

We build 2-layer Photoshop files for product images. Top layer is product image set to NORMAL blend mode. Bottom layer is shadow of product set to MULTIPLY blend mode. When placed in InDesign the shadow layer does not carry over multiply blending. It knocks out anything under it in InDesign file. Our work around is placing two copies of the PSD file on top of each other. We then have to set the bottom image to Multiply with top layer turned off in Object Layer Options. Then the top image needs to have shadow layer turned off in Object Layer…

33 votes
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Improve handling of font files by consolidating and normalising fonts internally

Font handling for multiple font file types is broken: if a given typeface represents weights using font files of different types, then different parts of InDesign will handle the font differently. Nowhere will it appear as one family with all weights below it. Because the presentation of the problem is significantly different between InDesign subsystems (paragraph style setting and setting font from the tool bar, for example) this might indicate refactoring is in order to ensure all subsystems handle fonts the same way.

See: https://plus.google.com/+BradMurray/posts/7e3o7Jq2hcH

2 votes
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

• A feature that lets you copy the actions of a button and past it in another already existing button!

For example: If you have a button with the actions: Go to next page, and make a sound. i would like to see a feature that lets you copy these actions (Go to next page and make a sound, or any other action) without physically copying the whole button but only the actions within the button and paste it into another already existing button.

If you have a button with the action: make a sound when clicked, and you want to have all the other buttons to have the exact same action as the button with the sound, you have…

9 votes
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Soft version of "Update Table of Contents"

If there is a Table of Content, with some correction in it (for example line breaks) and after that, there is a small correction in the content area, which followed by loosing one page. Therefore it would be great, to just update the Page-numbers, instead updating the whole ToC.

(sorry for bad english)

45 votes
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  under review  ·  Anonymous responded

Thanks a lot everyone for the feedback. I am moving this under review.

• remove image from links panel

In the Links Panel, it would be very handy to remove an image that is listed simply by right clicking on it and removing it.

For example, I just manually removed over 500 images from image frames using the direct select tool. Theoretically, I could have selected those 500 images in the Links Panel, and removed them in the right click menu.

3 votes
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Place Photoshop artboards into InDesign

We need to be able to place Photoshop artboards into InDesign.

This should work similar to placing Illustrator artboards or placing pages from a PDF or another InDesign file.

Thanks.

14 votes
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      In backlog  ·  Anonymous responded

Thanks for the info. This is indeed correct that since the various artboards come in as a layers the dimensions are of the entire document which can be problematic. Adding this to our backlog.

• Enable Animated/Scrubby Zoom

Add the animated/scrubby zoom feature for PC users--it's time. It's ridiculous Photoshop and Illustrator has it, but not InDesign? Since Mac users are given tools PC users don't have, perhaps Adobe should discount our subscription fee.

19 votes
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Allow multiple files and Excel in Data Merge

Allow multiple files in data merge. Excel should also be possible as an import.

37 votes
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

In backlog  ·  5 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Swap graphics/images…

I know it exists as a script BUT i've been waiting a loooong time to get a very basic SWAP function between 2 inDesign frames'content.

Say I have 2 frames on a page, one contains image A, the other contains image B.

I select the 2 frames, in object menu, I have one option (usually grayed out if 0, 1, 3 or more objects are selected) (+ same in contextual right-click menu).

That option says "swap images" (in french "permuter les images").

Everything in one frame goes to the other.

That implies groups of items.

That implies taking care of…

17 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Layout/Graphics etc  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Adobe InDesign: Feature Requests

Feedback and Knowledge Base